Solving an Integral using Feyman's trick

In summary, Bprp is an acronym for Youtuber BlackPenRedPen. Bprp provides a tutorial on how to solve an integral using a different technique. The integral has been solved in one of Bprp's videos, but the user is trying to solve it using a different method. Unfortunately, the user finds that their results are false. The user is looking for help, and vela was able to provide a helpful summary. If the user takes the limit as alpha goes to +inf, C will be equal to pi/2 and the integral will be pi/4. vela was also able to provide a helpful step-by-step guide, which will help the user to understand the problem more clearly. Taking
Flamitique
Hey guys ! I just need a little help on a integral I was trying to solve using feyman's technique.

This is the integral from 0 to 1 of (sin(ln(x))/ln(x) dx, which has been solved in one of the videos of bprp, but I'm trying to solve it using a different technique, and I end up with a different result, which is false of course, but the thing is I want to know where I messed up (not sure, but I have a feeling it's on point 5 where I calculate the constant)

Those are my steps :

-step 1 : I do a u sub and define my function I(alpha)

-step 2 : I do the partial derivative with respect to alpha of I(alpha)

-step 3 : I find the antiderivative of sin(u)exp(alpha*u)

-step 4 : I plug my antiderivative into my integral, and calculate it. Then I integrate back I'(alpha) to find back I(alpha)

-step 5 : I use the limit as alpha goes to -inf to make the integral equals to 0 to be able to calculate the constant

-step 6 : I use I(1) to calculate the integral, but in the end I find -3pi/4 instead of pi/4.Do you guys know where I messed up ? That would help me a lot, thanks !View attachment a27d24_721afbacfbfb4ce0905c9097e193e4e0_mv2.webp

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes !
jedishrfu said:
Bprp is an acronym for Youtuber BlackPenRedPen right?

Because the limits of the integral are from ## x=-\infty## to ##x=0##, you want to take the limit as ##\alpha \to +\infty## to make it vanish. I think that'll fix your sign problem on the constant.

Likes jedishrfu
But if I take the limit as alpha goes to +inf, wouldn't the integral diverges ? Because the limit as alpha goes to +inf of exp(alpha*x) is equal to +inf right ? But if I take the limit as alpha goes to -inf, then exp(alpha*x) will be equal to zero, and the integral would vanish right ?

The integral only converges when ##\alpha>0## because you're integrating over the negative ##x##-axis. The same issue applies when you take the limit.

Flamitique said:
Hey guys ! I just need a little help on a integral I was trying to solve using feyman's technique.

This is the integral from 0 to 1 of (sin(ln(x))/ln(x) dx, which has been solved in one of the videos of bprp, but I'm trying to solve it using a different technique, and I end up with a different result, which is false of course, but the thing is I want to know where I messed up (not sure, but I have a feeling it's on point 5 where I calculate the constant)

Those are my steps :

-step 1 : I do a u sub and define my function I(alpha)

-step 2 : I do the partial derivative with respect to alpha of I(alpha)

-step 3 : I find the antiderivative of sin(u)exp(alpha*u)

-step 4 : I plug my antiderivative into my integral, and calculate it. Then I integrate back I'(alpha) to find back I(alpha)

-step 5 : I use the limit as alpha goes to -inf to make the integral equals to 0 to be able to calculate the constant

-step 6 : I use I(1) to calculate the integral, but in the end I find -3pi/4 instead of pi/4.Do you guys know where I messed up ? That would help me a lot, thanks !View attachment 284090
When I went through it, I calculated the constant ##C## to be ##\pi/2## not ##-\pi/2##

Thank you vela for your help, now I understand ! So yes stevendaryl, now if I take the limit as alpha goes to +inf of the inverse tangent of alpha, C will be equal to pi/2, and the result of the integral is indeed pi/4 ! Thanks for your help!

Take some time to learn latex. It will really be worth it and will help us answer your questions better.

1. What is Feyman's trick for solving integrals?

Feyman's trick, also known as Feyman's integration technique, is a method for solving integrals by converting them into a series of simpler integrals. This technique uses differentiation under the integral sign and the fundamental theorem of calculus to simplify the integration process.

2. When should I use Feyman's trick to solve an integral?

Feyman's trick is most useful when dealing with integrals that involve complicated functions or expressions. It can also be used to solve integrals that are difficult to evaluate using traditional methods.

3. What are the advantages of using Feyman's trick?

One advantage of using Feyman's trick is that it allows for the integration of functions that cannot be solved using other methods. It also simplifies the integration process and can often lead to more elegant solutions.

4. Are there any limitations to using Feyman's trick?

While Feyman's trick can be a powerful tool for solving integrals, it does have some limitations. This method may not work for all integrals, and it can be time-consuming to apply in some cases.

5. How do I apply Feyman's trick to solve an integral?

To use Feyman's trick, you first need to identify the integral you want to solve and then apply differentiation under the integral sign to simplify the integrand. Next, use the fundamental theorem of calculus to solve the resulting integrals, and then combine the solutions to obtain the final answer.