How Do You Calculate Tension in a String Connecting Two Masses on an Incline?

• Thread starter jordanilyily
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formulae
In summary, the conversation discussed a quiz question about finding the tension on a string in a problem involving two masses on an incline. The student asked for the formula and the correct method for solving the problem. The tension can be found by isolating one of the masses and using Newton's Second Law to solve for the tension. The student confirmed that mass 1 was on the incline and mass 2 was hanging straight down from a pulley, and thanked the person for their help.
jordanilyily
I had a quiz today and part two of a question asked for the tension on a string. The problem was something along the lines of -- mass 1 = 6kg and mass 2 = 5kg. Mass 1 is attached to mass 2 by a weightless rope on an incline of 33 degrees. For mass 1 the kinetic friction is mu = 0.50; find the acceleration of mass 1 (which I found) and the tension of the string.

I turned in the quiz at the end of class etcetc and asked the professor if the work I had done was correct for that portion of which he said no. So I was wondering if anyone could display the formula for me so I can try out a few problems using it? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is mass 1 on the incline and mass 2 hanging straight down from a pulley attached to the top of the incline? If you correctly calculated the acceleration, the tension (not tensor) in the string can be found by isolating one of the masses in a Free Body Diagram, looking at the forces acting on it, and using Newton 2 for that mass to solve for the tension. Then look at the other mass , identify the force, and use Newton 2 to see if you get the same tension value, as a check.

yes, mass 1 is on the incline and mass 2 is hanging from a rope straight down via pulley. thank you! :3

And so the tension is____??

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am happy to assist you with understanding the formulae for tension/tensors.

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or cable when it is pulled tight by forces acting on opposite ends. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Tensors, on the other hand, are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between physical quantities in a specific coordinate system.

The formula for tension can be derived using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of your quiz question, the tension on the string can be calculated as follows:

Tension = (Mass 1 * Acceleration) - (Mass 1 * Gravitational acceleration * sin(angle)) - (Mass 1 * Kinetic friction coefficient * Gravitational acceleration * cos(angle))

In this formula, the first term represents the force due to the acceleration of mass 1, the second term represents the component of gravitational force acting on mass 1 in the direction of the incline, and the third term represents the force due to kinetic friction acting in the opposite direction of motion.

I hope this helps to clarify the formula for you. It is important to note that the formula may vary depending on the specific scenario and variables involved. I encourage you to discuss any further questions with your professor to ensure a better understanding of the concept.

Best of luck with your future problem-solving!

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in a String Connecting Two Masses on an Incline?

What is a tension/tensor formula?

A tension/tensor formula is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between an applied force and the resulting tension or stress in a material. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of structures under stress.

What is the difference between tension and tensors?

Tension refers to the magnitude of force applied to an object, while tensors refer to the geometric representation of that force. Tensors are used to describe the direction and intensity of tension in a material, and are commonly represented as matrices or arrays.

How do you calculate the tension/tensor in a material?

The tension/tensor in a material can be calculated using various formulas, depending on the type of material and the type of stress being applied. Some common formulas include Hooke's Law for linear tension, Cauchy's stress formula for isotropic materials, and the Navier-Stokes equations for fluid mechanics.

What are some applications of tension/tensor formulas?

Tension/tensor formulas have many applications in the fields of physics and engineering. They are used to study the strength and stability of structures, such as bridges and buildings, and to analyze the behavior of materials under different types of stress. They are also used in fields like aerodynamics, geology, and biomechanics.

Are there any limitations to tension/tensor formulas?

While tension/tensor formulas are useful for studying the behavior of materials under stress, they do have some limitations. They often assume that materials are homogeneous and isotropic, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, these formulas may not accurately predict the behavior of materials under extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or pressures.