Formulas of the form (1+epsilon)-1

In summary, the individual has created a series of rational approximations for the square root of 3 using spreadsheet formulas. They have noticed that the error values behave differently depending on which formula is used, and have resorted to using a conditional formula to achieve accuracy. The individual is also seeking resources for further understanding of these numerical analysis issues. The cutoff point for accuracy is approximately determined by the machine epsilon for the data type.
Twixtfanatic
I was fooling around with spreadsheet formulas, and created a series of rational approximations for the square root of 3: 7/4, 26/15, 97/56 etc. This is based on the continued fraction expansion for square roots. Each ratio N/D has the property that N^2 is one more than 3*(D^2)=K. I was curious to see how the error values behave. The straightforward formula ((N/D)/sqrt(3))-1 works fine for the first few entries, but eventually turns into zero, as the string of zeroes between the 1. and the epsilon exceeds the storage capacity for floating point numbers. Alternately, the simpler formula 1/(2K) becomes more and more accurate, but is inaccurate for the first few entries. So, my workaround is to use a conditional formula which uses one expression or the other, based on the magnitude of K. But I'm not sure how much accuracy I really get this way for a range of "middle" values. I'm not sure where the cutoff point should be for a given floating point standard.

I tried to express epsilon in a way that could be calculated more accurately, so far without success. Could someone point me to a (hopefully free) resource that addresses these basic numerical analysis issues? General or specific help would be welcome. Thanks for your time.

Technology news on Phys.org
The transition point is roughly ##1/K=\sqrt{\epsilon}##, where epsilon is the machine epsilon for the data type at hand. Machine epsilon for some data type (e.g., float, double, long double) is defined as the smallest positive number ##\epsilon## such that ##(1.0+\epsilon)-1.0## is not zero.

Related to Formulas of the form (1+epsilon)-1

1. What is the meaning of (1+epsilon)-1 in scientific formulas?

(1+epsilon)-1 is a mathematical notation commonly used in scientific formulas to represent a small deviation or error from a known value. The addition of epsilon, a small positive number, to 1 indicates that the value is slightly larger than the known value, while the subtraction of 1 indicates that the value is slightly smaller than the known value.

2. How does (1+epsilon)-1 impact the accuracy of scientific calculations?

The use of (1+epsilon)-1 in scientific formulas allows for a more precise representation of values that may deviate slightly from known values. This can improve the accuracy of calculations and help reduce errors in scientific research and experiments.

3. Can (1+epsilon)-1 be used to represent larger deviations from known values?

While (1+epsilon)-1 is typically used to indicate small deviations, it can also be used to represent larger deviations by multiplying the epsilon value by a larger number. This notation is commonly used in numerical analysis and error analysis to represent uncertainties in calculations.

4. What is the significance of using epsilon in scientific formulas?

Epsilon is a symbol used in mathematics and science to represent a very small quantity. In scientific formulas, the addition or subtraction of epsilon allows for a more accurate representation of values that may deviate slightly from known values. This helps to improve the precision and reliability of scientific calculations and measurements.

5. Are there any other common notations used to represent small deviations in scientific formulas?

Yes, there are other notations that are commonly used to represent small deviations in scientific formulas, such as delta (Δ) and sigma (σ). These symbols may be used in different contexts, but they all serve the same purpose of indicating a small deviation from a known value in mathematical equations and formulas.