Formulating Physical Quantities, Energy & Conservation of Energy

In summary, the equations state that Energy ( Pq1 , Pq2 , Pq3, ... , Pqn ) = Energy, where Energy is a constant.
snnmbr
1. Homework Statement

Hi, I've been thinking about a formulation regarding "physical quantities" (that is, the quantities that specifically constitute the object of measurement for Physics), energy, and the conservation of energy. It would be very helpful for me that you could confirm me the thing is mathematically right, so here it goes (I just want to know if what I'm going to formulate is a compatible and correct, no matter if ugly or beautiful, mathematical expression about physical quantities, energy, and conservation of energy):

Let " Pq1 " be the "Physical quantity 1" (a certain physical quantity of a certain kind). So we'll have the physical quantities Pq1 , Pq2 , Pq3, ... , Pqn.

Now I am wondering: "in which ways could these physical quantities vary?", that is, "what combinations or configurations of values would be acceptable for Pq1 , Pq2 , Pq3, ... , Pqn "?

------------------------

2. Homework Equations

To anwer to this: 1º Step) I introduce "Energy", in a way :

Energy ( Pq1 , Pq2 , Pq3, ... , Pqn ) = Energy​

(Notice that, in this case, "Energy" is being the only physical quantity that is not following the notation Pqi ; but this is unimportant).

------------------------------

3. The Attempt at a Solution

... and, finally, 2º Step): I establish the set of equations: The space Pqi can support any configuration so that...

Energy ( Pq1 , Pq2 , Pq3, ... , Pqn ) = Energy

Energy = Constant​

(Or, in short, Pqi can assume any combination of values so that Energy ( Pq1 , Pq2 , Pq3, ... , Pqn ) = Constant )

Is this concept right? and if it is not, what would be the correction?

Thank you very much :smile: !

Physics news on Phys.org

You should read a good introductory physics book. There is no physical content in your expressions. You cannot just write symbols down and have it make sense. Physical quantities have units and meaning.

(Op here. Additional note to my opening post in case it could help someone:

Later I realized the suggested model is simply an easy variant of a Lagrangian.

Perfect illustrating example: a pendulus. Energy (position, velocity) = -Energy (position) + Energy (velocity) = constant.

Other thing: the constant character of Energy value has to do with up to 2 important things: 1º) conservation of energy; and 2º) minimization of energy (or principle of least action).

Bests.)

Last edited:

Related to Formulating Physical Quantities, Energy & Conservation of Energy

1. What are physical quantities?

Physical quantities are measurable properties of objects or systems that can be expressed in numerical terms. Examples include length, mass, time, temperature, and energy.

2. How are physical quantities formulated?

Physical quantities are formulated using a combination of a numerical value and a unit of measurement. The unit of measurement provides context and allows for comparison between different quantities.

3. What is energy?

Energy is the ability of a system to do work. It exists in many forms, including kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and electromagnetic energy.

4. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant over time.

5. How is the conservation of energy applied in real-world situations?

The conservation of energy is applied in many practical applications, such as calculating the efficiency of machines, designing renewable energy systems, and understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of natural systems, such as the Earth's climate and the formation of stars and galaxies.