How Do You Implement MKL's FFT Functions for Multidimensional Data in Fortran?

In summary: I am lost on how to implement the "equivalence" command in a parallel setting. I have tried to do it with a for loop, but it gets messy.The "equivalence" command will need to be executed on each row of the input data. You can break up the data into individual matrices and pass them to the equivalence command, or you can use a for loop to do it all at once. Parallelizing this will depend on the architecture of the machine you are running it on.
avikarto
This is my first time attempting to use the MKL's FFT functions, and I'm having trouble understanding them. The available examples (https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/522290) provide little insight into the reasons for doing things, and looking into the commands themselves doesn't provide much more information. Any help with the following questions would be appreciated:

1) What is the "dimension" of a transformation? Since my coefficients are 4x4 matrices, is it 2D? Or do we consider that we have a list of matrix coefficients, making the transformation 3D?

2) The fortran examples indicate the necessary use of the "equivalence" command at higher dimensions than 1, which looks like a memory manipulation command needed to put all array elements in line in memory. I am confused how to implement this for a list of matrices. Is the idea to form one giant 1D array of length (4 x 4 x NumberOfMatrices) and pass that to the transform? If so, how does the routine know when to break up the array into individual matrix coefficients for the output?

3) Another concern about memory is in regards to the "in-place" vs "out-of'place" variations of the routine. From what I understand, "out-of-place" is necessary for running code in parallel, but will the routine still run in series if defined this way? Is "in-place" then simply an optimization for series execution?

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
What are you trying to do?

Do you have a 1-D array of equally spaced sampled data that you want the FFT of? This is the form that most time series data will take.

Or is it s 2-D array? This is the form that most images will take.

I am trying to solve for the coefficients of something that looks like:

4x4 matrix = SUM ( 4x4 coefficients * exp(-i*stuff) )

I have taken evenly spaced samplings of the LHS to feed as input into the backward transform, so I have a 1-D list of 2-D matrices.

What is Fortran MKL?

Fortran MKL (Math Kernel Library) is a highly optimized library of mathematical and scientific functions specifically designed for use with Fortran programming language. It is developed by Intel and is widely used for high-performance computing applications.

What is FFT?

FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) is a mathematical algorithm used to quickly transform a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is commonly used in signal processing, data compression, and other scientific applications.

What is the significance of using Fortran MKL for FFT?

Fortran MKL provides highly optimized functions for FFT, making it much faster and more efficient than using standard Fortran libraries. This is especially important for large-scale scientific computations that require fast and accurate FFT calculations.

How do I use Fortran MKL for FFT in my code?

You can use Fortran MKL for FFT by including the MKL library in your Fortran code and calling the appropriate functions. It is important to correctly link and compile the code to ensure proper usage of the MKL library.

Is Fortran MKL compatible with other programming languages?

Yes, Fortran MKL can be used with other programming languages such as C, C++, and Python. It provides interfaces and bindings for these languages to access the optimized functions for FFT and other mathematical operations.