Forum Slowdowns? Others Experiencing Issues?

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, the forum has been experiencing slowdowns for the past few days due to intensive database cleanup. This is expected to be completed within the next day or two. Despite this slowdown, interactions with other sites have not been affected. The forum administrator, Greg, takes responsibility for any technical issues and has assured that the forum will be back to its usual speedy state after today. Cheers to a job well done!
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
For the last couple of days at least (perhaps a week) I've noticed that my posts to the forum, which used to occur basically instantaneously, now take many seconds and I see a moving gray area in the upper right corner, overlaying the word "search". I have not noticed any change in my interactions with other sites, just this one. Anyone else experiencing any slowdowns?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been doing some database cleanup which is very intensive. Shouldn't be more than another day or two.

Likes dlgoff
Greg Bernhardt said:
I've been doing some database cleanup which is very intensive. Shouldn't be more than another day or two.
Ah HA ! A chipmunk in the wood pile.

OK, thanks Greg.

phinds said:
Ah HA ! A chipmunk in the wood pile.
Golden rule of PF: if something is wrong, it's likely my fault :biggrin:

Likes CalcNerd, russ_watters, phinds and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Golden rule of PF: if something is wrong, it's likely my fault :biggrin:
Usually my assumption too but somehow I must have been feeling charitable today.

Likes CalcNerd
Greg Bernhardt said:
I've been doing some database cleanup which is very intensive.
I'm thinking it's time for a beer Greg. I know how you work; ... way too hard. :approve:

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Last round of cleanups. After today the forum should be speedy as usual.

1. Why is the forum running slowly?

There could be a few reasons for this. It could be due to a high volume of traffic on the forum, which can slow down the server and cause delays in loading pages. It could also be due to technical issues or maintenance being performed on the forum. If the issue persists, it's best to contact the forum administrators for further assistance.

2. Is the forum down for everyone or just me?

If you are experiencing issues with the forum, it's possible that others are as well. However, it's also possible that the issue is specific to your device or internet connection. You can check for any notices or updates from the forum administrators to see if there is a known issue affecting all users.

3. How can I report a forum slowdown or issue?

If you are experiencing a forum slowdown or other technical issue, it's best to report it to the forum administrators. They can investigate the issue and work to resolve it as quickly as possible. You can usually find a contact form or email address on the forum's website to report any issues.

4. Can I do anything on my end to fix the forum slowdown?

There are a few things you can try on your end to improve the forum's speed. Clearing your browser's cache and cookies can often help. You can also try using a different browser or device to see if that makes a difference. If the issue persists, it's best to contact the forum administrators for further assistance.

5. How long will the forum slowdown last?

This can vary depending on the cause of the slowdown. If it's due to high traffic, it may only last for a short period of time until the traffic subsides. If it's due to technical issues, it may take longer for the forum administrators to resolve. It's best to check for any updates from the forum administrators or contact them directly for an estimated timeframe.