Mystery: some of my notifications/alerts sometimes disappear + ....

• Thread starter Stavros Kiri
  • Start date
In summary, it seems like there might be a system malfunction where some of my notifications (e.g. likes) disappear. I have seen this before, and it is possible that it is due to a system lapse or hacking. However, it is also possible that it is due to something else.
Stavros Kiri
Mystery: some of my notifications/alerts (≥2) disappeared today (possibly likes, at least 2 the last 30-60min ...). I' ve seen it before!
Any idea? System malfunction? Or something.

[Also, (I don't know if relevant) about ~18-25 days ago, around Jan 14-22, I noticed/saw:
1. One case of a like to someone else, on my behalf, appearing (in 'recent activity' and on that post, while I was working elsewhere ! ...), without me actually doing it!
2. Some mentors' notifications about some of my merged or deleted posts did not even appear or ever existed (?) ! ... ]

Anyone can draw a conclussion?
[Perhaps relevant recent situation in other similar reports, e.g. on threads of this forum, etc. ... (?)] (e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/if-something-happens-it-wasnt-me.902722/)

P.S. Suspicion: Someone sabotaging me? I hope not. I didn't harm anyone! I'm just here for the science ...
But I don't know ... (just a long shot, I hope not true - I don't like having "enemies" ...).

Other ideas: hacking? ...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to revert likes, the alert will disappear then.

Apart from that, it is hard to speculate what could have happened.

mfb said:

Apart from that, it is hard to speculate what could have happened.
That's one possible case, I have seen it as well, but somehow I could distinguish, I think the red alert on my screen disappears too on the refreshed page, in that case. But today there was a clear red >= 2 times, with no e-mail (thus no new post, thus perhaps 'likes' or other notif. ...), which persisted after refreshing the page (while I was busy), but when I went right after to find it there was nothing there ... [Unless both times weird coincidence and timing of ~simultaneous actions ... (reverting likes e.g. one of them), or possibly system lapse [time] and delay (?) ... ]

+ I edited the previous post - see ...

Last edited:
Stavros Kiri said:
which persisted after refreshing the page (while I was busy), but when I went right after to find it there was nothing there ...
On 2nd, more careful, consideration and memory recalling, I am not completely sure that I did in fact refresh the page as said, for at least one of the cases. So
mfb said:
can with certain probability be the case.

The other parts noticed ... I don't know what they can be. Oh well ...

I can give a specific example. I posted this:
Different methods of deriving the energy-momentum equation

A bit later I saw an alert for a reply from @PeterDonis but got a "you do not have permission to do this" message when I followed it, and the alert vanished from my alerts page when I refreshed. I guess Peter deleted something he posted by accident or something. But he replied again - and now I have no alert from either his deleted post or the response he did leave up. I only found it because I went in through the forum list.

Ibix said:
But he replied again - and now I have no alert from either his deleted post or the response he did leave up.
What about the e-mail notification (for posts) in this case? Once sent out, they are there unaffected ...

Stavros Kiri said:
What about the e-mail notification (for posts) in this case? Once sent out, they are there unaffected ...
I have email notifications turned off, so I don't know.

Ibix said:
I have email notifications turned off, so I don't know.
Ok. That would have solved your mystery though. Anyway, I think all these things happen. As long as we are not hacked or something ...

1. What could be causing my notifications/alerts to disappear?

There are a few possible explanations for this issue. One possibility is that your device or app settings may be set to automatically clear notifications after a certain amount of time. Another possibility is that there may be a glitch or bug in the app or system that is causing the notifications to disappear. It is also possible that the notifications were accidentally dismissed or deleted by the user.

2. How can I prevent my notifications/alerts from disappearing?

To prevent notifications from disappearing, you can check your device or app settings and make sure that there is no automatic clearing feature enabled. You can also try restarting your device or updating the app to see if that resolves the issue. Additionally, make sure to pay attention to your notifications and avoid accidentally dismissing or deleting them.

3. Why do my notifications/alerts disappear only sometimes?

The inconsistency of the disappearing notifications could indicate that there is a sporadic glitch or bug in the app or system. It could also be due to the settings on your device, such as automatic clearing after a certain amount of time. If the issue persists, it may be worth reaching out to the app developer or device manufacturer for further assistance.

4. Can I retrieve notifications/alerts that have disappeared?

Unfortunately, if notifications have been automatically cleared or manually deleted, they cannot be retrieved. However, if the notifications are being glitchy or disappearing due to a bug, restarting your device or updating the app may resolve the issue and bring back any missing notifications.

5. Is there a way to track which notifications/alerts have disappeared?

Some devices and apps have a notification history feature that allows you to see a list of previous notifications. This can help you keep track of which notifications have disappeared. However, not all devices or apps have this feature, so it is important to check your specific device and app settings.