Forward kinematics model using DH parameters in MATLAB

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of DH parameters to derive a forward kinematics model for a robotic system. The code provided includes a function to calculate the transformation matrix using theta, d, a, and alpha values, and another function to calculate the end effector position using specific theta values. The conversation ends with a question about where to input the theta values in the code.
Joon
Homework Statement
Derive the forward kinematics model in MATLAB using the DH parameters provided.
Relevant Equations
The homogeneous transformation matrix has the form shown in the attached image.
5 links (thus 6 frames) and corresponding theta, alpha, d and a values are all given.
However, I'm not sure how to start coding the DH parameters to derive a forward kinematics model.

I know that I'll have to use matrix operators, but do I just put in the values of the 4 factors mentioned above in the transformation matrix in the attached image and then calculate the transformation matrix from the origin to the end-effector?
Please help. Thanks.

Attachments

• pic.png
    pic.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Below is my code. I have all the DH parameters that will allow me to calculate the end effector position.
I'm not sure where to input the values of thetas 1 ~5 shown at the bottom. Please help.

function [T] = getTransformMatrix(theta, d, a, alpha)
T = [cosd(theta) -sind(theta) * cosd(alpha) sind(theta) * sind(alpha) a * cosd(theta);...
sind(theta) cosd(theta) * cosd(alpha) -cosd(theta) * sind(alpha) a * sind(theta);...
0,sind(alpha),cosd(alpha),d;...
0,0,0,1];
end

function [T00,T01,T12,T23,T34,T45,EndEffector] = forwardKinematics(theta1, theta2, theta3, theta4, theta5)T00 = [1 0 0 0; 0 1 0 0; 0 0 1 0; 0 0 0 1];
T01 = getTransformMatrix(theta1,10.25,0,90);
T12 = getTransformMatrix(theta2,0,9,0);
T23 = getTransformMatrix(theta3,0,9,0);
T34 = getTransformMatrix(theta4,0,0,90);
T45 = getTransformMatrix(theta5,6.25,0,0);
EndEffector = T00 * T01 * T12 * T23 * T34 * T45;

end

theta1 = 30;
theta2 = 45;
theta3 = -90;
theta4 = 45;
theta5 = 60;

Last edited:

1. What is a forward kinematics model?

A forward kinematics model is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the joint angles and positions of a robotic arm or mechanism. It is used to determine the end effector (or tool) position and orientation based on the input joint angles.

2. What are DH parameters?

DH parameters, or Denavit-Hartenberg parameters, are a set of four parameters used to describe the relationship between two consecutive joints in a robotic arm. They include the link length, link twist, link offset, and joint angle.

3. How is the forward kinematics model using DH parameters implemented in MATLAB?

The forward kinematics model using DH parameters can be implemented in MATLAB by defining a symbolic DH table that represents the DH parameters of the robotic arm, and then using the built-in functions to calculate the transformation matrices for each joint. These matrices can then be multiplied to obtain the final transformation matrix for the end effector.

4. What are the advantages of using a forward kinematics model with DH parameters?

One of the main advantages of using a forward kinematics model with DH parameters is its simplicity and efficiency. It allows for a compact representation of the robotic arm and makes it easy to solve for the end effector position and orientation. Additionally, it can be easily implemented in different programming languages, making it a widely used method in robotics.

5. Can a forward kinematics model using DH parameters be used for any type of robotic arm or mechanism?

Yes, a forward kinematics model using DH parameters can be used for any type of robotic arm or mechanism as long as it has a serial chain of joints. It is a general method that can be applied to different types of robots, including industrial robots, articulated arms, and even human-like robots.