Fossils of a Pre-Historic One-Tonne Rodent Discovered

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fossils
In summary, a newly-identified species of rodent, measuring 53 centimetres (21 inches) with massive incisors, has been found and is now considered the largest known member of the order Rodentia. This discovery puts into perspective the size of the current largest living rodent, the capybara, which weighs 60 kilograms (132 pounds). This discovery highlights the impact of evolution on the diversity of species on Earth.
neutrino
The newly-identified species is the greatest-known member of the order Rodentia and by comparison makes the biggest rodent alive today, the 60-kilo (132-pound) capybara, look like a pygmy shrew.

Measuring a whopping 53 centimetres (21 inches), the skull has massive incisors several centimetres long.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080116/sc_afp/sciencepalaeontologyrodent

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes, I'm sort of glad there is evolution.

hypatia said:
Sometimes, I'm sort of glad there is evolution.

:rofl:

I saw a documentary on that last huge rat they found. Amazing at how much we are finding. When I was little there were only about a dozen known dinosaurs. :wink:

My little Bun catches these things all the time. :cool:

Evo said:
I saw a documentary on that last huge rat they found. Amazing at how much we are finding. When I was little there were only about a dozen known dinosaurs. :wink:
I'm 2 billion years old. When I was young, scientists said the Earth was formed 2.5 billion years ago. Now they say it's 4.5 billion years ago.

They must have had big sewers in them days

And cheese. Lots and LOTS of cheese.

1. What is a pre-historic one-tonne rodent?

A pre-historic one-tonne rodent is a type of rodent that lived during prehistoric times and weighed approximately one ton. It is believed to be the largest rodent to have ever lived on Earth.

2. When were these fossils discovered?

The fossils of the pre-historic one-tonne rodent were discovered in [insert year or time period].

3. Where were these fossils found?

The fossils were found in [insert location], which is known for its rich deposits of prehistoric fossils.

4. How do scientists determine the weight of a pre-historic one-tonne rodent?

Scientists use a variety of methods, such as measuring the size and density of bones, to estimate the weight of pre-historic animals. In the case of this rodent, its size and weight were determined by studying the size and structure of its fossils.

5. What can we learn from the discovery of these fossils?

The discovery of these fossils can provide valuable insights into the ecology and evolution of pre-historic animals, as well as the environmental conditions of the time period in which they lived. It can also help us understand the diversity and distribution of species in the past and how they may have influenced the development of modern ecosystems.

Back