Foucault pendulum - the physics and maths involved

In summary, The conversation is about understanding the details of Foucault's Pendulum, and using it as an example for analysis. The question posed is about the equation (3) in the paper, which seems to be missing a minus sign compared to the previous equations. The response suggests that the right hand side of equation (2) might be missing a minus sign.
Thomas2054
I have been looking at this paper (http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/pendulumdetails.html) on the details of Foucault's pendulum. I am interested in understanding the details, but am having some trouble. My purpose is to study this as an example of how the analysis is done. I'd like to ask some questions and then plod along on my own, until the next question.

Let me start with this question. In the paragraph above equation (2) Wolfe has the equation: r" = r"p − r"o. I see where he then derives equation (2). However, it is equation (3) with which I am having a problem.

r" = r"p − r"o, which can be expanded to
mr" = mr"p − mr"o. Equation (1) is substituted for mr"p and equation (2), multiplied by m, is substituted for mr"o.

Why in equation (3) does the last term not have a minus sign?

Thanks.

Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas2054 said:
Why in equation (3) does the last term not have a minus sign?
I haven't looked it over too closely, but I suspect that the RHS of (2) is missing a minus sign.

The Foucault pendulum is a fascinating example of the interplay between physics and mathematics. It demonstrates the principles of conservation of energy and angular momentum, as well as the effects of the Earth's rotation on a swinging object. Let's take a closer look at the equations involved in the analysis of this pendulum.

First, we have the equation r" = r"p − r"o, which represents the acceleration of the pendulum bob (r") as the sum of the acceleration due to the pendulum's motion (r"p) and the acceleration due to the Earth's rotation (r"o). This equation can be expanded to mr" = mr"p − mr"o, where m represents the mass of the pendulum bob.

In equation (3), we are solving for the acceleration of the pendulum bob (r") using the equations for r"p and r"o. The first term, mr"p, is derived from equation (1), which represents the acceleration of a simple pendulum. The second term, mr"o, is derived from equation (2), which represents the acceleration of an object due to the Earth's rotation. However, in this case, we are considering the acceleration of the pendulum bob due to the Earth's rotation, rather than the acceleration of the Earth's rotation itself. Therefore, the minus sign is not included in this term.

I hope this helps clarify the equations involved in the analysis of the Foucault pendulum. It is a complex system, but by breaking it down into individual components, we can better understand the physics and math behind it. Good luck in your studies!

1. What is a Foucault pendulum?

A Foucault pendulum is a device used to demonstrate the rotation of the Earth. It consists of a long pendulum with a heavy weight at the end, suspended from a fixed point. As the Earth rotates, the pendulum appears to change direction over time due to the Coriolis effect.

2. How does a Foucault pendulum work?

The pendulum's weight, along with its initial force, creates a swinging motion in a fixed plane. As the Earth rotates underneath the pendulum, the plane of its swing appears to rotate due to the Earth's rotation. This is known as the Coriolis effect.

3. What is the Coriolis effect?

The Coriolis effect is a phenomenon in which objects moving in a straight line appear to curve due to the rotation of the Earth. This effect is caused by the difference in rotational speeds of different latitudes on the Earth's surface.

4. What factors affect the Foucault pendulum's swing?

The main factors that affect the swing of a Foucault pendulum are the length of the pendulum, the strength of the initial force, and the location of the pendulum on Earth. The longer the pendulum and the stronger the initial force, the longer it takes for the pendulum's plane of swing to appear to change direction.

5. How is the period of a Foucault pendulum calculated?

The period of a Foucault pendulum can be calculated using the formula T = 2π * √(L/g), where T is the period (time for one complete swing), L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes a perfect pendulum with no external forces acting on it.