Found a starling in my front lawn - interesting sequence of events

In summary, the bird was being very still with its head pointed to the sky and started to hop in the other direction as soon as it noticed me. I went back inside and did some research to find out that the claim that the mother rejecting the chick once a human contacts it is false. I then placed the bird within a box and observed it through the window for the mother to claim it. The mother did not show up, and it got dark so I kept it inside my garage. The next day I placed the box outside and after a few hours, I noticed an adult bird and suspected it to be the parent. The adult began to dance around the box with a worm, and the baby bird was able to find the worm. I
GCT
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Allright call me a naturalist , for those of you interested I had a short encounter with mother nature the other day.

Friday afternoon - I found a starling bird in my front lawn , it was being real still with its head pointed to the sky. It started to hop in the other direction as soon as it noticed me. I went back inside the house to do a little research and it turns out that the claim that the mother rejecting the chick once a human contacts it is false. I placed the starling within a box and observed the box through the window for the mother to claim it.

The mother did not show up and it got dark so I kept it inside my garage and handfed fed it some chicken soaked in water ... which it absolutely loved. The next day I placed the box outside and after a few hours noticed an adult bird , which I suspected to be the parent , dancing around it with a worm - sadly the dumb bird just wasn't able find the starling despite the fact that both of them were chirping at each other. It was pretty amazing really , every time the baby would chirp the parent would reorient itself towards the box , so it was just basically dancing around the box. Sad ... just sad.

I placed the starling on the lawn - it started to go in the opposite direction of where the mother was , that is towards the road. I placed it closer to the wooded area where the mother was and observed what was happening inside the house through the window. It turns out that it was the parent after all , assuming that only parents take care of the offspring for this particular bird species , it started to feed it worms.

Unfortunately the starling kept running from the mother. Which got me wondering how such starlings are taken care of in the first place - obviously if it's able to walk it is not going to be on a nest located high up on the tree rather it is probably going to be within a shrub or on a ground nest somewhere. I went elsewhere for a while and returned to find that the starling made its way into the wooded area , god knows where the nest actually is and whether it finds its way , it'll be lucky if it does because it's a jungle in there , the starling was conspicuous - pretty much the only thing moving on the ground - and I sensed that anything could just walk over there and make a meal out of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just curious...why would you feed it chicken? Wouldn't a worm be better?

WhoWee said:

Don't worms taste like chicken anyway?

I feed wild birds, that would normally eat bugs, dry cat food soaked in water. But I have out of emergency, feed them raw meat. I guess I was not in the mood to barf up a worm for it. Some days are better then others.

WhoWee said:

I read from somewhere that baby birds are not able to digest worms - although this was a starling I was still uncertain on whether he would be able to digest it so I followed the advice to feed it cooked meat that mushed up e.g. canned dog food as hypatia mentioned. Except I don't have a dog so I found the next best thing and it worked out great.

feeding a starling chicken is like feeding a pig bacon. you sicko.

jesus you're right ... :biggrin:

1. What is a starling?

A starling is a type of bird that is native to Europe and Asia but has been introduced to other parts of the world, including North America. They are medium-sized birds with a shiny black plumage and a short, triangular-shaped tail.

2. Why was the starling found in the front lawn?

Starlings are known to be opportunistic birds and will often search for food and nesting materials in open areas, such as lawns. It is possible that the starling was foraging for insects or worms in the lawn.

3. What is the interesting sequence of events?

The interesting sequence of events could vary, but in this case, it could refer to the specific behaviors or actions of the starling that were observed in the front lawn. For example, the starling may have been displaying unique mating behaviors or interacting with other birds or animals in an unusual way.

4. Should I be concerned about the starling being in my front lawn?

In most cases, there is no need for concern about a starling being in your front lawn. They are common birds and are not known to be aggressive towards humans. However, if the starling appears injured or sick, it is best to contact a local wildlife rehabilitation center for assistance.

5. How can I help the starling if it is injured or sick?

If the starling appears to be injured or sick, it is best to contact a local wildlife rehabilitation center for assistance. Do not attempt to handle or care for the bird yourself, as this could further harm the animal and may also be illegal in some areas.