Foundation System Homework: Determine Load Capacity/Area of Steel

• Thread starter raiderUM
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding determining the load capacity of a foundation wall system. The wall has specific measurements and specifications, including a strength of 3,000 psi, a soil bearing capacity of 4,000 psf, and specific wall load calculations. The conversation also mentions performing a code check and determining the maximum unfactored live and dead loads the wall footer can safely carry. The conversation concludes with a mention of a labeling error that does not affect the answers.
raiderUM

Homework Statement

Again, I have a question where I have not idea what I did wrong... Please give suggestions! Thanks. Work is shown on attachment.

You have a foundation wall system in the field that you were asked to determine the load capacity of per lineal foot. The wall has the following measurements and specifications:

Specifications:

f c' = 3,000 psi f y = 40,000 psi Allowable soil bearing capacity = 4,000 psf

Wall loads: live = three times the dead load per foot
dead = one third the live load per foot

Cover for footer steel = 3”

#4 rebar at 9” center to center for main steel
___ - #5 rebar for temperature steel

Wall load includes the weight of the wall however not the weight of the footer.

Wall thickness = 8” Footer depth: h = 16” Footer width: w = 4’- 6”

Note: Perform and show all code check considerations.

Maximum unfactored live load the wall footer can safely carry: __11385______ #/’

Maximum unfactored dead load the wall footer can safely carry: ____3795____ #/’

Area of longitudinal steel: __1.728_____ sq in __6_____ - # 5 bars

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment question3.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field but..

I notice the question says "4000 psf". I might be wrong but your answer sheet appears to say "T = 4000 psi" ?

CWatters said:
Not my field but..

I notice the question says "4000 psf". I might be wrong but your answer sheet appears to say "T = 4000 psi" ?

You are correct. I miss labeled it. This would not affect the answers

What is a foundation system?

A foundation system is a structure that supports and distributes the weight of a building or other structure to the ground. It is typically made up of a combination of materials, such as concrete, steel, and wood, and is designed to withstand the load and forces placed upon it.

Why is it important to determine the load capacity/area of steel in a foundation system?

Determining the load capacity and area of steel in a foundation system is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building. It helps engineers and builders determine the appropriate size and strength of the foundation system to support the weight of the building and any potential loads or forces that may act upon it.

What factors affect the load capacity/area of steel in a foundation system?

Several factors can affect the load capacity and area of steel in a foundation system, including the type and density of the soil, the size and weight of the building, the location and climate of the building site, and any potential external forces such as wind or seismic activity.

How is the load capacity/area of steel in a foundation system determined?

The load capacity and area of steel in a foundation system are typically determined through a combination of calculations and testing. This involves analyzing the various factors that can affect the foundation system and using engineering principles and formulas to determine the appropriate size and strength of the steel components.

What are some common methods for strengthening the load capacity/area of steel in a foundation system?

Some common methods for strengthening the load capacity and area of steel in a foundation system include increasing the size or number of steel components, using stronger or more durable materials, and incorporating additional support structures such as beams or piles. These methods may vary depending on the specific needs and requirements of the building and site.