Foundations argument: Silberstein et al engage Hiley-channeling-Bohm

In summary: I found this quote below interesting. The author takes Russell's/Eddington's argument that since we are "blind" with respect to the intrinsic properties of "matter", we will likely never make much progress:But now it seems that Strawson is confusing here the possibility of the emergence of mind from scientifically described properties like mass, charge, or spin, with the possibility of the emergence of mind from the intrinsic properties that correspond to these scientific properties. It is indeed the case that mind cannot emerge from scientifically described extrinsic properties like mass, charge, and spin, but do we know that mind could not emerge from the intrinsic properties that underlie these scientifically observable properties? It might be argued that since we know absolutely nothing

zonde said:
I do not understand how we can set up experiment that could test retrocausal prediction. And I am not even sure I want to discuss that, sorry. And if you say that GR is making retrocausal predictions then I consider this to be serious argument against GR.

Well I have to admit that to me it seems like process of evolution can produce effects that could look very much like retrocausality while being perfectly causal.

We don't advocate retrocausal explanation, we're against explanations (at the fundamental level) couched in terms of interacting 3D objects/substances. In fact, we refer to our interpretation as "acausal," i.e., causation is just not an element of explanation at the fundamental level.

Physics news on Phys.org

RUTA said:
We don't advocate retrocausal explanation, we're against explanations (at the fundamental level) couched in terms of interacting 3D objects/substances. In fact, we refer to our interpretation as "acausal," i.e., causation is just not an element of explanation at the fundamental level.
Well yes, you do not advocate causation but if you want to speak about possible tests of your interpretation then you have to translate acausal description into causal one. We develop our knowledge in causal manner and that somewhat limits what we consider knowledge IMHO.

zonde said:
Well yes, you do not advocate causation but if you want to speak about possible tests of your interpretation then you have to translate acausal description into causal one. We develop our knowledge in causal manner and that somewhat limits what we consider knowledge IMHO.

We are 3D time-evolved entities, so we are bound to conduct experiments accordingly. However, the *fundamental* explanation for the experimental outcome does not involve 3D time-evolved entities. Rather, one understands that the 3D time-evolved experimental process results from relations in 4D per a self-consistency criterion. The SCC entails 3D dynamics statistically (thus, classical mechanics), but at the *fundamental* level one does not have a 3D time-evolved story to tell.

zonde said:

This is a circular argument. There is no requirement whatsoever that any theory must be causal to "match our experience". All that is required is that there be agreement between theory and observation.

RUTA said:
The situations are different and would be modeled differently. The situation on the left has overlapping connections with the objects on the sides and sequential connections at the end. The situation on the right has sequential connections with objects on the sides and overlapping connections with the object at the end.
Situation is the same (at least it can be the same). Try to overlap two pictures - you will see that they are just incomplete in respect to each other.
Anyway - the point is that there should be connections along worldline of source for there to be interference.

RUTA said:
We are 3D time-evolved entities, so we are bound to conduct experiments accordingly. However, the *fundamental* explanation for the experimental outcome does not involve 3D time-evolved entities. Rather, one understands that the 3D time-evolved experimental process results from relations in 4D per a self-consistency criterion. The SCC entails 3D dynamics statistically (thus, classical mechanics), but at the *fundamental* level one does not have a 3D time-evolved story to tell.
And what is "projection" of 4D relations + SCC onto 3D dynamics? (I do not mean this as a specific question but rather as the topic of our discussion.)
Can we come up with experiment X and hypothetical results A and B such that X+A satisfies SCC but X+B violates SCC? (This I mean as specific question.)
I have to add that it would be good to get some idea what this SCC represents in itself. As it seems to me it's name suggests that 4D relations should be constructed in such a way that they allow certain type of explanations.

DrChinese said:
This is a circular argument. There is no requirement whatsoever that any theory must be causal to "match our experience". All that is required is that there be agreement between theory and observation.
There is requirement that theory should give it's predictions in a form that we can compare them with observations. And interpretation of observations is independent from theory (we do not have to assume that theory is correct to speak meaningfully about particular observations).

zonde said:
Situation is the same (at least it can be the same). Try to overlap two pictures - you will see that they are just incomplete in respect to each other.
Anyway - the point is that there should be connections along worldline of source for there to be interference.

I thought the situations represented different source configurations (vertical temporal axis of sorts). If they're intended to represent the same situation, then of course the descriptions would be the same. Again, to understand interference in our graphical approach, you need to read that material I referenced previously. What you'll notice is that it's very complicated and no one would use it instead of QM proper. I don't envision our graphical approach replacing QM anymore than QM replaces Newtonian mechanics. Where we *do* offer corrections to current physics is in GR, as shown in our Class. Quant. Grav. paper.

zonde said:
And what is "projection" of 4D relations + SCC onto 3D dynamics? (I do not mean this as a specific question but rather as the topic of our discussion.)
Can we come up with experiment X and hypothetical results A and B such that X+A satisfies SCC but X+B violates SCC? (This I mean as specific question.)
I have to add that it would be good to get some idea what this SCC represents in itself. As it seems to me it's name suggests that 4D relations should be constructed in such a way that they allow certain type of explanations.

In our view, the (3+1)D picture is classical mechanics (there is no size restriction, if you have particle behavior, X and P commute, then you have CM). To understand how one gets CM statistically from our approach, see section 2.2.6 The General Approach in our FoP paper.

We believe the key to (3+1)D stories is time-evolved entities/substances and the possibility of modeling these is contained in a divergence-free source. Thus, since QFT is modeled on coupled harmonic oscillators, we looked for a graphical basis to underwrite divergence-free sources and coupled harmonic oscillators. That is explained in section 2.2.7 The Two-Source Euclidean Symmetry Amplitude/Partition Function of our FoP paper. We found a candidate relationship between the graphical free-particle difference matrix K and the source vector J via boundary operators on the graph d. That is, K = d*d^T and J = d*e so that Kv = J, where v is the vector of vertices and e is the vector of links. Accordingly, K has same form as its graphical counterpart for coupled harmonic oscillators and J is divergence-free. Further, K has a non-trivial null space (whence gauge invariance) and J resides in the row space of K (for graphical counterpart to gauge fixing). We then show how it underwrites classical field theory per Z's roll as a partition function constructed from K and J. So, the approach has a lot of nice properties. Whether or not it's *true* remains to be seen.

RUTA said:
Again, to understand interference in our graphical approach, you need to read that material I referenced previously.
Material that you referenced does not answer my question.

Simply stated - are two nodes on the same worldline connected only by relations? If yes then how do you approach interference at qualitative level where two alternative paths (I assume that relations are null geodesics, correct if I am wrong) do not connect the same nodes either at source or detector?

RUTA said:
We believe the key to (3+1)D stories is time-evolved entities/substances and the possibility of modeling these is contained in a divergence-free source.
With this divergence-free source you mean that there are as many relations going in as there are going out from entity, right?

RUTA said:
Thus, since QFT is modeled on coupled harmonic oscillators, we looked for a graphical basis to underwrite divergence-free sources and coupled harmonic oscillators.
I am not familiar with QFT, could you please elaborate on the role of coupled harmonic oscillators in QFT? Are they model for field at arbitrary point or are they model for particles?

zonde said:
Material that you referenced does not answer my question.

Simply stated - are two nodes on the same worldline connected only by relations? If yes then how do you approach interference at qualitative level where two alternative paths (I assume that relations are null geodesics, correct if I am wrong) do not connect the same nodes either at source or detector?

The answer is in the cited material, although I concede it is rather involved. The bottom line is that the probability of an outcome depends the difference of squared spatial link lengths between the sources, just as in geometrical optics. The difference is that there are no 'things' interfering -- the probability simply goes from 0 to 1 based on the difference in squared spatial link lengths.

zonde said:
With this divergence-free source you mean that there are as many relations going in as there are going out from entity, right?

Not exactly. The divergence-free property is not local as in the stress-energy tensor of GR. It's global.

zonde said:
I am not familiar with QFT, could you please elaborate on the role of coupled harmonic oscillators in QFT? Are they model for field at arbitrary point or are they model for particles?

Coupled harmonic oscillators model the field and excitations of the field are associated with particles. See our interpretation of QFT in http://arxiv.org/abs/0908.4348

Back