Four neutrons form a transient isolated entity - a tetraneutron?

In summary, a recent experiment has provided evidence that four neutrons can exist transiently without any other matter. However, there are doubts about this finding as it goes against current theories. There is also an open access paper on a related topic. The existence of a tetraneutron system has been a topic of discussion in the past decade, with some possible indications but now claims of its existence. There is still uncertainty about what this means and the significance of an unbound tetraneutron system.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
I was reading another article when this headline from June 22 caught my attention.

Collisions hint that four neutrons form a transient isolated entity​

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01634-x

An experiment firing helium-8 nuclei at a proton target has generated evidence that four neutrons can exist transiently without any other matter. But doubts remain, because the existence of such systems is at odds with theory.

Unfortunately, one has to subscribe or otherwise have access through one's institution. I haven't read the paper yet. Helium-8 is already pretty exotic.

Meanwhile, there is an apparently related paper with open access.

Observation of a correlated free four-neutron system​

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04827-6

I've noticed relate threads on PF. In 2010, there was apparently no evidence of a tetraneutron system, but by 2016, there was some possible indications. Now apparently, there are claims of such as system.

Edit/update: I was reading a post in Nuclear Engineering which included a Nature article.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-the-ignition-cliff.1017073/

Last edited:
Likes ohwilleke and vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what - if anything - this means.

The tetraneutron is unbound. They don't seem to dispute that. Is there some unbound state where the 4 neutrons are briefly close together? If you roll a ball onto the top of the hill, so it has just barely enough energy to go over the top and down the other side, it will move slowly at the top and spend a lot of time there. I don't see anything beyond the analogy here.

That doesn't mean there's no interest in it. Just that I don't know what the point is to say "unbound but..."

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a tetraneutron?

A tetraneutron is a hypothetical particle composed of four neutrons. It is a transient and isolated entity that is not commonly observed in nature.

2. How are tetraneutrons formed?

Tetraneutrons are formed when four neutrons come together and interact through the strong nuclear force. This interaction creates a temporary bond between the neutrons, forming the tetraneutron.

3. Are tetraneutrons stable?

No, tetraneutrons are not stable and quickly decay into other particles. This is due to the repulsive force between four neutrons, which is stronger than the attractive strong nuclear force that initially brought them together.

4. What is the significance of tetraneutrons in nuclear physics?

The existence of tetraneutrons has been a subject of interest in nuclear physics as they provide insight into the properties of the strong nuclear force. The study of tetraneutrons can also help us understand the stability and structure of larger nuclei.

5. Have tetraneutrons been observed in experiments?

There have been claims of tetraneutrons being observed in experiments, but these observations have not been widely accepted by the scientific community. Further research and experiments are needed to confirm the existence of tetraneutrons.