Fourier/heat problem involving hyperbolic sine

In summary, the rectangular box with walls at temperature T1, except for the wall at z=c which is held at temperature T2, reaches equilibrium with the temperature function T(x,y,z) satisfying ∂T/∂t =D∇2T. The temperature in the box can be represented as T(x,y,z) = T1 + τ(x,y,z), where τ is the Fourier series τ(x,y,z)=∑∑anmsin(nπx/a)sin(mπy/b)f(z). The "tau" function τ(x,y,z) satisfies the partial differential equation ∂T/∂t =D∇2T under equilibrium conditions. This leads to the conclusion that f(z)
danmel413

Homework Statement

A rectangular box measuring a x b x c has all its walls at temperature T1 except for the one at z=c which is held at temperature T2. When the box comes to equilibrium, the temperature function T(x,y,z) satisfies ∂T/∂t =D∇2T with the time derivative on the left equal to zero. Find the temperature T in the box in the form T(x,y,z) = T1 + τ(x,y,z) where τ is the Fourier series τ(x,y,z)=∑∑anmsin(nπx/a)sin(mπy/b)f(z).

Find f(z) and find anm

Homework Equations

D=kA/mc
All others listed in the question

The Attempt at a Solution

so I see that it's sin functions in x and y in the Fourier series because there are zero's at 0 and a, b for both. However since there's only one 0 for z at z=0, I'm assuming that f(z) has to be sinh. But I don't think I can just take the argument there to be jπz/c.

If someone can bump me forward I'm sure I can figure the rest of the question out.

Physics news on Phys.org
What partial differential equation must τ(x,y,z) satisfy?

TSny said:
What partial differential equation must τ(x,y,z) satisfy?

T(x,y,z) satisfies ∂T/∂t =D∇2T and T(x,y,z) = T1 + τ(x,y,z)

danmel413 said:
T(x,y,z) satisfies ∂T/∂t =D∇2T and T(x,y,z) = T1 + τ(x,y,z)
What differential equation does the "tau" function τ(x,y,z) satisfy under equilibrium conditions?
Use this to determine the form of f(z).

1. What is the Fourier/heat problem involving hyperbolic sine?

The Fourier/heat problem involving hyperbolic sine is a mathematical problem that involves solving a partial differential equation known as the heat equation using the hyperbolic sine function. The heat equation is commonly used to model the transfer of heat in physical systems.

2. How is the hyperbolic sine function used in solving the Fourier/heat problem?

The hyperbolic sine function is used to represent the spatial dependence of the temperature in the heat equation. By using the hyperbolic sine function, the heat equation can be solved using the method of separation of variables, which involves breaking down the equation into simpler parts and finding a solution for each part.

3. What are the main applications of solving the Fourier/heat problem involving hyperbolic sine?

The Fourier/heat problem involving hyperbolic sine has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model the transfer of heat in materials, predict the temperature distribution in a given system, and analyze heat flow in physical systems.

4. Are there any limitations to using the hyperbolic sine function in solving the Fourier/heat problem?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the hyperbolic sine function in solving the Fourier/heat problem. It can only be used for problems that involve a one-dimensional heat transfer process and cannot be used for systems with complex geometry or non-uniform temperature distributions.

5. How does solving the Fourier/heat problem involving hyperbolic sine relate to real-world applications?

The Fourier/heat problem involving hyperbolic sine has many real-world applications, such as predicting the temperature distribution in buildings, designing heating systems, and analyzing heat transfer in materials. It is also used in fields such as meteorology, geology, and oceanography to model heat transfer in the Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and crust.