Fourier optics with concave (diverging) lenses

In summary, the Fourier transform of a field is in the virtual focus plane for a concave lens, but not for a convex lens.
Qiao
Hey,

I was wondering, since for a convex lens the Fourier transform of a fields is in their real focus plane. Is it for a concave lens that the Fourier transform of a field is in the virtual focus plane?

I can't find any book or paper that talks about how concave lenses work in terms of Fourier optics.

Science news on Phys.org
There's no conceptual difficulty- the only difference is using '-f' instead of 'f' in the diffraction integrals. The practical difficulty is that the planes of interest are virtual, rather than real.

Thanks. So then I would assume that if the object is at focus distance "f", the image plane with a perfect Fourier transform of the object will be at "f/2". I concluded this by drawing a quick ray diagram.

actually, I've thought about this some more with the following thought experiment. Take a concave lens, put an object on the left focal plane, next place a convex lens so that it's focus plane is at the virtual image plane of the concave lens. So now the second lens should in principle do another Fourier transform giving back you original field function, right? (this is based on the 4F system in the link without the transmission mask http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...4F_Correlator.svg/430px-4F_Correlator.svg.png)

But if you draw a ray diagram, it would tell another story, for a collimated beam everything goes as expected they enter collimated and exit collimated.
But for a point source, when it passes the concave lens it diverges even more and all the information will never be refocused back to a point. This means that it is impossible to get your original function back, right?

This is confusing to me, this experiment contradicts the idea that the Fourier transform lies in the virtual planeo_O:confused:

Seems to me, all you are describing is a telephoto lens which can be used forwards or backwards to magnify or demagnify.

It is sort of a basic telescope setup. Except I don't expect go to get my function back when if I use a concave lens + convex lens.

I have been thinking of this problem for a while now and like you guys, i have not found much online on this topic. From ray diagrams, all I can make out is that we do not have access to the intermediate Fourier plane in a 4f system built using a convex and a concave lens. So effectively it is magnifying or diminishing lens combo. You already know this. I tried to experimentally observe this once but I was not successful. I must admit it was not a sincere effort. I will try again to do this experiment and let you guys know.

1. What is Fourier optics with concave (diverging) lenses?

Fourier optics with concave (diverging) lenses is a branch of optics that studies the propagation and manipulation of light using concave lenses, which diverge light rays instead of converging them. This technique is commonly used in the field of Fourier optics for performing Fourier transforms and other optical operations.

2. How are concave lenses used in Fourier optics?

Concave lenses are used in Fourier optics as a way to manipulate the spatial frequency components of an optical signal. When a beam of light is incident on a concave lens, the lens causes the light to diverge, which can be used to manipulate the spatial frequency content of the beam.

3. What are the advantages of using concave lenses in Fourier optics?

One of the main advantages of using concave lenses in Fourier optics is that they can be used to perform Fourier transforms in a simple and efficient manner. Additionally, concave lenses can also be used to manipulate the phase and amplitude of an optical signal, making them useful for a variety of optical operations.

4. How do concave lenses affect the Fourier transform of an optical signal?

Concave lenses affect the Fourier transform of an optical signal by changing the spatial frequency components of the signal. This is due to the fact that the lens diverges the incident light, causing the spatial frequency components to be shifted. The exact transformation depends on the specific properties of the lens, such as its focal length and curvature.

5. What are some applications of Fourier optics with concave lenses?

Fourier optics with concave lenses has a wide range of applications in optics and photonics. Some common applications include optical information processing, holography, and imaging. Additionally, this technique is also used in laser beam shaping, optical tweezers, and optical communication systems.