Aberration in Lenses: Formula & Relation Explained

In summary, the converging beam of light has a different focal point at the center vs. the outer rim. This is due to the presence of spherical aberration.
VVS2000
Is there any formula or a mathematical relation to find aberration in lenses? I read recently that plano concave lens has a negative aberration and plano convex lens is used to correct it. I am not sure what those statements mean. Is there some type of relation that explains these statements or is it like an experimental fact?

Science news on Phys.org
Wiki does it for the thin-lens approximation.

Likes VVS2000 and BvU
VVS2000 said:
Is there any formula or a mathematical relation to find aberration in lenses? I read recently that plano concave lens has a negative aberration and plano convex lens is used to correct it. I am not sure what those statements mean. Is there some type of relation that explains these statements or is it like an experimental fact?
The short answer is "no, but you can calculate the various aberration coefficients given the optical design". There are 'stop-shift formulas', but I don't think that's what you mean. It's important to note that there are aberrations caused by the shape(s) of the lens element(s) and different aberrations (chromatic) caused by the material(s) the element(s) are made of. Then, of course, there are aberrations caused by misalignment :).

The calculation gets extremely complicated very quickly, and there aren't any simple references, either. In general, aberration theory is rooted in either Seidel coefficients or Zernike coefficients, and converting between the two is non-trivial.

Kingslake's book is a standard:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/012374301X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And Buchdahl's book is the most comprehensive:
https://www.abebooks.com/Optical-Ab...MI9fPZ7N6q9QIVzGtvBB2NGAfrEAQYASABEgJWvvD_BwE

• Informative
Likes berkeman, vanhees71, VVS2000 and 2 others
If you have an optical design in hand, the best route to go is to simulate your optical design in an appropriate software product. There are many, but the most popular in research is Zemax. The problem is it's expensive as heck and their anti-pirating security measures make it a real pain in the butt for legitimate paying users (hardware keys, remote access versions, etc.).

There are software packages that offer limited free trial versions. I'm partial to WinLens Basic from QIoptiq, but I'm sure you could find others out there. You can find WinLens Basic tutorial videos on youtube.

If you're curious, these software products use ray-tracing methods to calculate aberrations. There are also analytical formulas, which I'm sure you could find in either of the books @Andy Resnick listed.

VVS2000 said:
I read recently that plano concave lens has a negative aberration and plano convex lens is used to correct it.
This is highly dependent on what you're trying to accomplish. There's no one-size-fits-all solution.

Now, if you're trying to build understanding about spherical aberration (which is what it sounds like you're talking about in the first post), then I recommend you try this exercise:

Consider a converging beam of light initially with a convergence angle of ##\theta## that passes through a slab of glass at normal incidence. Calculate the focal point as a function of ##\theta##. Notice that the answer depends on ##\theta##. That means the center of the beam has a different focal point than the outer rim of the beam. This results in a caustic beam profile (as opposed to a Gaussian beam).

If you solve the above problem but approximate the ##\sin \theta## in Snell's law by ##\theta##, you get the answer in the absence of all aberrations. If you solve it by approximating Snell's law by ##\theta + \frac{1}{3!} \theta^3 ##, you get the answer including 3rd order spherical aberration, and so on. I hope that gives you a little insight into what's going on.

Likes vanhees71 and VVS2000
Andy Resnick said:
The calculation gets extremely complicated very quickly, and there aren't any simple references, either. In general, aberration theory is rooted in either Seidel coefficients or Zernike coefficients, and converting between the two is non-trivial.
Well not soo deep at the theoretical level but The thing I want to understand is on more of an experimental level. Coz I was doing experiments with lenses which have 10cm diameter and 15 cm focal length, and all rays parallel to principal axis don't focus on the focal point. So aberration does exist but I cannot or don't know how to quantitatively put it across

Twigg said:
Consider a converging beam of light initially with a convergence angle of θ that passes through a slab of glass at normal incidence. Calculate the focal point as a function of θ. Notice that the answer depends on θ. That means the center of the beam has a different focal point than the outer rim of the beam. This results in a caustic beam profile (as opposed to a Gaussian beam
I am so sorry but do you have like a diagram that shows what you're trying to say, I might not able to get which angle and rays that you might be reffering to

VVS2000 said:
Coz I was doing experiments with lenses which have 10cm diameter and 15 cm focal length, and all rays parallel to principal axis don't focus on the focal point.
The diameter of the lens is more or less irrelevant (assuming you have a separate stop that isn't the lens itself). It's the radial distance of the marginal rays (or equivalently the numerical aperture (NA)) that matters.

If you want to quantify the amount of aberration in your system, try using an iris diaphragm to vary the NA of your system. Measure how much the focal point moves when you close the iris vs when you fully open the iris. The more the focal point moves, the worse your aberration is.

VVS2000 said:
I am so sorry but do you have like a diagram that shows what you're trying to say, I might not able to get which angle and rays that you might be reffering to
Yeah, sorry I was being lazy. Here you go:

1641969090110.png

Two rays incident at angle ##\theta## on a rectangular slab of glass. When they hit the glass, they're separated by a distance of ##2h##. Slab has a thickness ##t##. Find the position of the focal point from ##\theta##, ##h##, ##t##, and ##n## (index of the slab). Expand your answer as a series for small ##\theta##. The lowest term should be cubic and it refers to 3rd order spherical aberration.

Notice that your optical design contains a range of values of ##\theta## from 0 up to your aperture stop. That means your focal point will be smeared out over a range, giving you a caustic.

Twigg said:
The diameter of the lens is more or less irrelevant (assuming you have a separate stop that isn't the lens itself). It's the radial distance of the marginal rays (or equivalently the numerical aperture (NA)) that matters.

If you want to quantify the amount of aberration in your system, try using an iris diaphragm to vary the NA of your system. Measure how much the focal point moves when you close the iris vs when you fully open the iris. The more the focal point moves, the worse your aberration is.Yeah, sorry I was being lazy. Here you go:

View attachment 295381
Two rays incident at angle ##\theta## on a rectangular slab of glass. When they hit the glass, they're separated by a distance of ##2h##. Slab has a thickness ##t##. Find the position of the focal point from ##\theta##, ##h##, ##t##, and ##n## (index of the slab). Expand your answer as a series for small ##\theta##. The lowest term should be cubic and it refers to 3rd order spherical aberration.

Notice that your optical design contains a range of values of ##\theta## from 0 up to your aperture stop. That means your focal point will be smeared out over a range, giving you a caustic.
Ok, will do it
Thanks for the image!

1. What is aberration in lenses?

Aberration in lenses is a phenomenon in which the light passing through a lens does not converge to a single point, resulting in a blurred or distorted image. This is caused by imperfections in the lens or the curvature of the lens surface.

2. What are the two types of aberration in lenses?

The two types of aberration in lenses are chromatic aberration and spherical aberration. Chromatic aberration occurs when different wavelengths of light are refracted at different angles, causing a rainbow-like effect. Spherical aberration occurs when light passing through the edges of a lens is refracted differently than light passing through the center, resulting in a blurred image.

3. How is aberration in lenses measured?

Aberration in lenses is measured using the formula known as the Abbe sine condition. This formula takes into account the focal length, refractive index, and aperture of the lens to determine the amount of aberration present.

4. What is the relationship between aperture and aberration in lenses?

The relationship between aperture and aberration in lenses is that a larger aperture will result in more aberration. This is because a larger aperture allows more light to pass through the edges of the lens, where spherical aberration is more prominent.

5. How can aberration in lenses be reduced?

Aberration in lenses can be reduced by using multiple lenses in a system, each with different curvatures and refractive indices to correct for different types of aberration. Additionally, using higher quality materials and precise manufacturing techniques can also help reduce aberration in lenses.