Fourier Series: Stamping Machine Positioning Function

In summary, the conversation was about the difficulty in converting the given function into the trigonometric Fourier series and asking for guidance or hints on how to approach the problem. The function in question is x(t) = r(1-cos(t-psi)) and the person asking for help mentioned using MATLAB simulations but is still struggling with the initial conversion.
bradzyc

Homework Statement

9c14af2b05.png

Homework Equations

All Fourier series trigonometric equations. I think we are required to use sigma function, integrals, etc.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

We are currently working through our Fourier series revision studying integrals of periodic functions within K.A. Stroud's book, Advanced Engineering Mathematics. However, we cannot fathom how to convert the above equation into the sigma notation or even start the Fourier transform. Any indication on what we need to look at would be a massive help. Obviously I don't want this completed for me, just an idea would really help to bounce some ideas from.

As a side note, I'm fairly new to this forum and haven't used this account in a long time so if I breach any rules etc I do apologise!

Many thanks,
Brad

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 12.36.59.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 12.36.59.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
bradzyc said:
However, we cannot fathom how to convert the above equation into the sigma notation or even start the Fourier transform. Any indication on what we need to look at would be a massive help
Well, you've got the definition of the Fourier series as one of your relevant equations (can't check -- you don't post them). The idea is that you let that loose on the given function :smile:

Must say I find this a weird exercise (didn't find the term 'Fourier' in 5th ed ?) since the given function is a rather rough approximation for the movement of the slide block.

Moderator note:

Hi bradzyc, I found your thread title to be too generic so I changed it to "Fourier Series: Stamping Machine Positioning Function" to make it more specific and descriptive of the problem.

BvU said:
Well, you've got the definition of the Fourier series as one of your relevant equations (can't check -- you don't post them). The idea is that you let that loose on the given function :smile:

Must say I find this a weird exercise (didn't find the term 'Fourier' in 5th ed ?) since the given function is a rather rough approximation for the movement of the slide block.

Hi, any thanks for the response. The actual problem we're having is converting the x(t) = r(1-cos(t-psi)) as the trigonometric Fourier series. We can use the MATLAB simulations etc but the first conversion is our issue.

Many thanks,
Brad

gneill said:
Moderator note:

Hi bradzyc, I found your thread title to be too generic so I changed it to "Fourier Series: Stamping Machine Positioning Function" to make it more specific and descriptive of the problem.
Not a problem, many thanks for the help!

Related to Fourier Series: Stamping Machine Positioning Function

What is the purpose of a Fourier series in the context of a stamping machine positioning function?

A Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. In the context of a stamping machine positioning function, it allows us to model the movement of the machine over time, taking into account any changes in speed or direction.

How is a Fourier series calculated for a stamping machine positioning function?

A Fourier series is calculated by decomposing the original function into a series of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. This can be done using complex numbers and the Fourier transform, or through a process known as Fourier analysis.

What are the benefits of using a Fourier series in a stamping machine positioning function?

Using a Fourier series allows us to accurately represent the movement of the stamping machine over time, taking into account any changes in speed or direction. This can help us optimize the machine's performance and improve its efficiency.

Are there any limitations to using a Fourier series for a stamping machine positioning function?

While a Fourier series is a powerful tool for representing periodic functions, it may not be suitable for non-periodic functions. Additionally, it may require a large number of terms to accurately represent complex functions, which can be computationally expensive.

How can a Fourier series be applied in real-world stamping machine positioning functions?

A Fourier series can be used to analyze and optimize the movement of stamping machines in various industries, such as automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. It can also be used in the design of control systems for stamping machines to ensure precise positioning and movement.