Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy in a FB cavity

In summary, Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy in a FB cavity is an old technique used to measure molecular transitions. It involves applying a MW ##\pi/2## pulse to put the molecules in a linear superposition of two levels, creating an oscillating dipole which emits energy. This energy is then readout and amplified by the FB cavity as a decaying oscillating signal. The FT of this signal gives the frequency of the transition being measured. One potential challenge is determining the exact initial power needed for the pulse, taking into account the finesse of the cavity and the time it takes for the MW radiation to dissipate to achieve the desired ##\pi/2## pulse.
kelly0303
Hello! I am reading about Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy in a FB cavity, which seems to be quite an old technique and I want to make sure I got it right.

As far as I understand, this is very similar to normal NRM, i.e. one applies a MW ##\pi/2## pulse which puts the molecules in a linear superposition of 2 levels. This acts as an oscillating dipole which emits energy, and this energy is readout (and amplified by the FB cavity) as a decaying oscillating signal (basically free induction decay signal). From there, doing a FT gives you the frequency of the transition being measured. Is this what is going on?

One thing that I am not totally sure I get, is how do you produce the ##\pi/2## pulse? Unlike non FB case, in this case the MW energy you put in the cavity stays there for a while, and its power gets reduced until it is basically all gone (this depends on the finesse of the cavity). So the molecules see the initial pulse multiple times, as it bounces back and forth between the 2 mirrors.

Does this mean that one needs to calculate the exact initial power needed, accounting for the finesse of the cavity, such that the integral of the (time varying) power of the MW radiation inside the cavity times the time it takes for it to be dissipated to be exactly ##\pi/2##? Or is there some simpler way of doing it and I am overcomplicating the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I don't think anyone here can guess what kind of system you have in mind. Can you link us to a paper you read, or whatever got you thinking about this topic?

1. What is Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy?

Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy is a technique used to study the molecular structure and dynamics of molecules. It involves measuring the absorption of microwave radiation by a sample and then using mathematical algorithms to convert the signal into a frequency spectrum.

2. How does Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy work?

In this technique, a sample is placed inside a Fabry-Perot cavity, which is a highly reflective optical cavity. The cavity is then irradiated with a microwave signal, and the absorption of this signal is measured. The resulting signal is then analyzed using Fourier transform algorithms to obtain a frequency spectrum.

3. What is the advantage of using a Fabry-Perot cavity in Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy?

The Fabry-Perot cavity allows for longer interaction times between the microwave signal and the sample, resulting in a higher sensitivity and resolution of the resulting spectrum. This makes it a powerful tool for studying the structure and dynamics of molecules.

4. What types of molecules can be studied using Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy in a Fabry-Perot cavity?

This technique is particularly useful for studying gas-phase molecules, such as those found in the Earth's atmosphere or in interstellar space. It can also be used to study the rotational spectra of molecules in the liquid or solid state.

5. How is Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy in a Fabry-Perot cavity different from other spectroscopic techniques?

Unlike other spectroscopic techniques, Fourier Transform MW spectroscopy in a Fabry-Perot cavity does not require a monochromatic source of radiation. This allows for a wider range of frequencies to be studied, making it a versatile tool for molecular analysis.