Fourier transform of a functional

In summary, the conversation revolves around using Fourier transform to find the higher powers of a function x(s) and how it relates to the Fourier transform of a generic functional f[x(s)]. The conversation also touches on the possibility of using integration by parts and the application of Fourier transform in solving a non-linear stochastic PDE. The main point is that the Fourier transform of a product is the convolution of their respective FTs.
Irid
Hello,
I was wondering if such a thing even exists, so here it goes... Let's say I have a function x(s) (it is real, smooth, differentiable, etc.) defined on (0,1). In addition, dx/ds = 0 on the boundary (s=0 and s=1). I can compute its Fourier transform (?) as
[tex] a_p = \int_0^1 x(s) \cos(sp\pi)\, ds [/tex]
and now I have a set of numbers [itex]a_p[/itex] which contain the same information as the original function x(s).

The good news is that if I compute the same Fourier transform on the derivatives of x, i.e.
[tex] \int_0^1 \frac{d^2 x}{ds^2} \cos(sp\pi)\, ds = -p^2 \pi^2 a_p[/tex]
I get an answer in terms of the [itex]a_p[/itex] which I already know.

So here's my question:

What if I want to find the Fourier transform of higher powers of x?

[tex] \int_0^1 x^2 \cos(sp\pi)\, ds =\, ? [/tex]

Can it be expressed in terms of, let's say, a power series in [itex]a_p[/itex]?

[tex] \int_0^1 x^2 \cos(sp\pi)\, ds =\, ?\, \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} c_n a_p^n[/tex]

And what if I want to find the Fourier transform of a generic functional f[x(s)] (smooth, differentiable, etc.)? Is it related somehow to the Fourier transform of the original function x(s)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried integrating by parts? Note that a Fourier series has sine terms as well as cosine.

mathman said:
Have you tried integrating by parts? Note that a Fourier series has sine terms as well as cosine.

Well I'm trying to keep things simple here by requiring dx/ds = 0 at the boundaries, hence all the sine terms are zero.

I don't know what to make of the integration by parts. Here's what I get

[tex] \int_0^1 x^2 cos(ps\pi)\, ds = -2\int_0^1 x\frac{dx}{ds}\sin(ps\pi)\, ds [/tex]

I don't see how can this bring me back to the a_p...

I am not sure where you are going. However if you integrate by parts again you will get the second derivative and a cos.

I'm trying to solve a non-linear stochastic PDE of the type
dx/dt = d2x/ds2 + F[x] + noise(t)

and I would really benefit if it could be done with the Fourier transform because then I only need the first few terms of the Fourier expansion to have enough information about the x(s).. of course, all of this is to be done numerically

Irid,

I'm not sure if this helps, but... the Fourier transform of a product ##f(x)g(x)## is the convolution of their respective FTs.

Related to Fourier transform of a functional

1. What is a Fourier transform of a functional?

The Fourier transform of a functional is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function or signal into its constituent frequencies. It is an extension of the traditional Fourier transform, which is used for discrete signals, to continuous functions or signals.

2. Why is the Fourier transform of a functional important?

The Fourier transform of a functional is important because it allows us to analyze and manipulate continuous functions or signals in the frequency domain. This can be useful in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is the Fourier transform of a functional calculated?

The Fourier transform of a functional is calculated using an integral equation, known as the Fourier transform integral. This equation involves integrating the function or signal over all possible frequencies using complex exponential functions.

4. What is the difference between the Fourier transform and the Fourier transform of a functional?

The Fourier transform deals with discrete signals, while the Fourier transform of a functional deals with continuous functions or signals. Additionally, the Fourier transform of a functional is often defined in terms of a complex-valued function, while the traditional Fourier transform is typically defined in terms of a real-valued function.

5. What are some applications of the Fourier transform of a functional?

The Fourier transform of a functional has many applications in various fields, such as image and signal processing, data compression, and solving partial differential equations. It is also used extensively in quantum mechanics to analyze wavefunctions and describe the behavior of particles.