Fourier transform of an assumed solution to a propagating wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fourier transform of a shifted wave function ψ(x,z,t) and the confusion surrounding the solution for P(x,z,t-τ) in the frequency domain. The formula for the Fourier transform of a time-shifted function is given, and the disagreement between the speaker and their teacher on whether the solution Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx - ωτ)] has been fully transformed into the Fourier domain is addressed.
erba
We have a wave ψ(x,z,t). At t = 0 we can assume the wave to have the solution (and shape)

ψ = Q*exp[-i(kx)]
where k = wavenumber, i = complex number

The property for a Fourier transform of a time shift (t-τ) is

FT[f(t-τ)] = f(ω)*exp[-i(ωτ)]

Now, assume ψ(x,z,t) is shifted in time. Thus, ψ(x,z,t) = P(x,z,t-τ). And I want to express the shifted version of ψ (i.e. P) in the frequency domain. Me myself think this is done as:

FT[P(x,z,t-τ)] = Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx)]*exp[-i(ωτ)] = Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx - ωτ)]

Though, my teacher claims that, when we assume the solution to be Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx - ωτ)], we have not necessarily transformed the it into the Fourier domain yet. He says that this solution can be given to a wave in the spatial-time domain as well.
I claim, and think that we have transformed it! But, I guess that my teacher is right and I am wrong.

So please, could you guide me through my confusion here?

PS. Hope the explanation of my question is good enough. Otherwise, ask me :)

Physics news on Phys.org
erba said:
Now, assume ψ(x,z,t) is shifted in time. Thus, ψ(x,z,t) = P(x,z,t-τ). And I want to express the shifted version of ψ (i.e. P) in the frequency domain. Me myself think this is done as:

FT[P(x,z,t-τ)] = Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx)]*exp[-i(ωτ)] = Q(x,z,ω)*exp[-i(kx - ωτ)]

Hey! Correct me if I am wrong but you are trying to get the Fourier transform of ψ(x,z,t-T)? but you solved for ψ(x,z,t-T), where t=0, or ψ(x,z,T). Or is that what you are trying to do?

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequency components. It is commonly used to analyze signals or waves in the time or spatial domain, and represent them in the frequency domain.

2. What does it mean to assume a solution to a propagating wave?

Assuming a solution to a propagating wave means making an educated guess about the form or shape of the wave before actually solving the wave equation. This is often done to simplify the calculations and make the problem more manageable.

3. How is the Fourier transform used in studying propagating waves?

The Fourier transform is used to convert the assumed solution of a propagating wave from the time or spatial domain into the frequency domain. This allows for a more detailed analysis of the wave's behavior, such as its amplitude and phase at different frequencies.

4. What is the relationship between the Fourier transform and the wave equation?

The Fourier transform is a powerful tool for solving the wave equation, which describes the behavior of propagating waves. By applying the Fourier transform to the wave equation, it becomes a simpler ordinary differential equation that can be solved using standard mathematical techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fourier transform for studying propagating waves?

While the Fourier transform is a useful tool for analyzing propagating waves, it does have limitations. It assumes that the wave is infinitely long and has a constant amplitude, which may not be the case in real-world situations. It also assumes that the wave is a linear superposition of sinusoidal components, which may not always be true.