Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations

In summary, the book writes the Maxwell equations in reciprocal space, and then substitutes any spatial derivative with the derivative in i-space.
thaiqi
Hello, I am unfamiliar with Maxwell's equations' Fourier transform. Are there any materials talking about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I am in China and cannot visit google. Besides, I don't mean solving equations using Fourier transform, but the Maxwell's equations in reciprocal(momentum) space. Better some textbooks treat it.

Last edited:
Can you visit

http://people.reed.edu/~wieting/essays/FourierMaxwell.pdf

thaiqi said:
Sorry, I am in China and cannot visit google.
Oh, I forgot that was a thing. That would make things difficult indeed.

BvU said:
Can you visit

http://people.reed.edu/~wieting/essays/FourierMaxwell.pdf
Thanks. I don't follow what this article said well. The books talk about it as below:
fourier1.png
fourier2.png

Well, ok. What the book obviously does is to write the Maxwell equations,
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\rho/\epsilon_0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\dot{\vec{B}}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\frac{1}{c^2} \dot{\vec{E}} + \mu_0 \vec{j}.$$
Note that in the somwhat confusing SI units ##c^2=1/(\epsilon_0 \mu_0)##.

Now they go to Fourier space wrt. to the spatial argument, i.e., they write
$$\vec{E}(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 k \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{k}) \vec{\mathcal{E}}(t,\vec{k})$$
and analogously for all the other fields involved.

Then any spatial derivative is simply substituted by ##\vec{\nabla} \rightarrow \mathrm{i} \vec{k}##. Then immideately get the equations you copied from the textbook.

Likes BvU
vanhees71 said:
Well, ok. What the book obviously does is to write the Maxwell equations,
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=\rho/\epsilon_0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}=-\dot{\vec{B}}, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}=\frac{1}{c^2} \dot{\vec{E}} + \mu_0 \vec{j}.$$
Note that in the somwhat confusing SI units ##c^2=1/(\epsilon_0 \mu_0)##.

Now they go to Fourier space wrt. to the spatial argument, i.e., they write
$$\vec{E}(t,\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 k \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^3} \exp(\mathrm{i} \vec{x} \cdot \vec{k}) \vec{\mathcal{E}}(t,\vec{k})$$
and analogously for all the other fields involved.

Then any spatial derivative is simply substituted by ##\vec{\nabla} \rightarrow \mathrm{i} \vec{k}##. Then immideately get the equations you copied from the textbook.
Thanks. This is what I need. Is it discussed in any books?

1. What is the Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations?

The Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations is a mathematical tool used to express the equations in terms of frequency rather than time or space. It allows us to analyze the behavior of electromagnetic fields at different frequencies and understand how they interact with matter.

2. Why is the Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations important?

The Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations is important because it helps us understand the complex behavior of electromagnetic fields and how they interact with matter. It also allows us to analyze signals in the frequency domain, which can be useful in various applications such as signal processing and communications.

3. How is the Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations calculated?

The Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations is calculated using mathematical formulas that involve integration and complex numbers. It can be done manually or using computer software.

4. What are the applications of the Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations?

The Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations has various applications in science and engineering. It is used in fields such as signal processing, communications, optics, and electromagnetic theory. It is also used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits and antennas.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations?

While the Fourier transform of Maxwell's equations is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It assumes that the fields are linear and do not change over time, which may not be the case in some situations. It also requires the signals to be stationary, which means their properties do not change over time. Additionally, the inverse Fourier transform may not always exist for certain signals.