Why is the Heat equation solved with separation of variables but not with Fourier transformations?

yaman
How did you find PF?: Years ago online forums were more visible. These days they are left behind social media. I searched Google and now I am here.

Why in heat transfer books Fourier's partial differtial unsteady state heat transfer equation is solved with seperation of variables but not with Fourier transformations?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and :welcome:!

Have fun and stay curious!

Moderator's Note: I moved this into a technical forum. The "New member introduction" forum is only meant to say 'hello'.

yaman said:
Why in heat transfer books Fourier's partial differtial unsteady state heat transfer equation is solved with seperation of variables but not with Fourier transformations?

Have you tried solving it on a finite interval subject to initial and boundary conditions (the typical geometry appropriate for separation of variables) using a transform method? Is that easier or harder than separation of variables?

yaman said:
This is simply incorrect. The method applied will generally depend on the domain. An infinite domain will be suited for transforms such as the Fourier transform, whereas a finite domain will be more suited for series expansions. Both methods are effectively the same and amount to separation of variables.

I know at least one textbook that uses Fourier transforms to solve the heat equation (and series expansion on finite domains). I know this because I wrote it.

Likes berkeman and hutchphd