Fourier Transform of non-centered circular aperture

In summary: R, so there's not much of a difference there).In summary, the problem is that the Fourier transform of a circular aperture has a unit, and the error is most likely due to the use of dimensionless variables in the Fourier transform.
crazy-phd
Hi there,
I have a little problem in wave optics: I have a wave function \psi_{ap} that depends on some geometric parameters, but that has no units itself (as one would expect). But unfortunately when I calculate the Fourier transform of this wave function the Fourier transform has a unit.

Now I'd like to explain my problem a bit more in detail: The wave function \psi_{ap}, that is to be transformed, is a plane wave traveling in z-direction through two circular apertures that lie in the xy-plane and that are displaced from the origin of this plane by d_i along the x-axis. Additionally I assume a phase shift \varphi_i for each aperture.

For convenience I will have only a look on the wave functions along the x-axis with y=0.

\begin{align}
A(x) =& \left\{
\begin{array}{lcc}
1 & \mathrm{for} & x\le 1\\
0 && \mathrm{else}
\end{array}
\right.\\
\psi_i =& A\left(\frac{x-d_i}{R}\right)*e^{-i\varphi_i}\\
\psi_{ap} =& \psi_1+\psi_2\\
\mathrm{with} :& d_1=-33.2\mu m,\,d_2=33.2\mu m,\,R=29\mu m,\, \varphi_1=0,\,\varphi_1=\pi/2\nonumber
\end{align}

\psi_ap is the wave function to be Fourier transformed and A is the function describing an aperture. Using the linearity of the Fourier transform I can calculate the transforms for each aperture separately. As the phase shift in each aperture is constant I can put it in front of the Fourier transform.

\begin{align}
\psi_{sp} =& \mathcal{F}(\psi_{ap}) = \mathcal{F}(\psi_1)+\mathcal{F}(\psi_2)\\
\mathcal{F}(\psi_i) =& e^{-i\varphi_i}*\mathcal{F}\left(A\left(\frac{x-d_i}{R}\right)\right)
\end{align}
This far everything is fine, but now I have (referring to the remarks on the Wikipedia article) a shift in the "time" and "frequency" domain (Equations 102 and 104 in the tables of the article). By using first 104 and then 102 my Fourier Transform looks like this:
\begin{align}
\mathcal{F}\left(A\left(\frac{x-d_i}{R}\right)\right) =& R*e^{-2\pi i d_iq}\frac{\mathrm{J}_1(2\pi Rq)}{Rq}
\end{align}
where q is the coordinate in Fourier space, that by definition should have a unit of "1/m".

My problem now with this expression is that
  • this expression has a unit of "m"
  • this expression -- except for the exponential term -- looks quite different than expected (especially the leading R); I would have expected J_1(2\pi Rq)/R/q

I would appeciate any remarks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The extra dimension of length comes from the Fourier transform integral. You are integrating over a variable with dimensions of length, so the units of your Fourier transform will be the units of your original function times a unit of length. If you want your Fourier transformed function to be dimensionless, you should choose a dimensionless variable to integrate over (e.g., x/R rather than just x).

Thanks for your remark, but I'm afraid having a wave function with a unit is not the problem, but only the symptom.

Many sources on the net [1],[2] calculate the Fourier transform of a circular aperture to be
\begin{equation}
\mathcal{F}(A) = \frac{J_1(2\pi Rq)}{Rq},
\end{equation}
but when I do the calculation on my own (see above) I get
\begin{equation}
\mathcal{F}(A) = \frac{J_1(2\pi Rq)}{q}.
\end{equation}
So, I'm wondering where the error might be...

When I do the 2d Fourier transform with [itex]A(r) = \Theta(a-r)[/itex], where a is the radius of the aperture and Theta is the Heaviside step function, I find

[tex]\mathcal F[A(r)](k) = \frac{2\pi a}{k} J_1(ka),[/tex]

where I used the Fourier transform convention

[tex]\mathcal F[A(r)](k) = \int_{\mathbb{R}^2} d\mathbf{r}~A(r) \exp\left(i \mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{r} \right) .[/tex]

I did the integral by choosing my coordinates such that [itex]\mathbf{k} \cdot \mathbf{r} = kr\cos \phi[/itex], and I did the angular integral using the identity

[tex]e^{iz\cos\phi} = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty i^n J_n(z) e^{in\phi}.[/tex]

The radial integral is easy to do using the identity

[tex] \left( \frac{1}{x} \frac{d}{dx} \right)^m \left[ x^\alpha J_\alpha(x) \right] = x^{\alpha - m} J_{\alpha -m }(x).[/tex]

Note that I did not non-dimensionalize anything, so the final units of my answer are a factor of length^2 more than the original aperture function's dimensions. (I made a mistake in my previous post by saying that the increase is a factor of length because I forgot that it should be a 2d Fourier transform).

If I non-dimensionalized the variables as u = x/a and v = y/a and Fourier transformed with respect to u and v (instead of the dimensionful variables x and y), then setting q = ka, the Fourier transform would be

[tex]2\pi \frac{J_1(q)}{q},[/tex]

which is what your other sources find. So, I would guess that your other sources are Fourier transforming with respect to dimensionless variables rather than dimensionful variables. (Also note that my q is equal to 2 pi times your q times your R).

Thanks for the help. I also found this article describing the transformation in detail.

Thanks again.

1. What is the Fourier Transform of a non-centered circular aperture?

The Fourier Transform of a non-centered circular aperture is a mathematical tool used to decompose the aperture's spatial domain function into its corresponding frequency domain function. This allows for the analysis of the aperture's diffraction pattern and can greatly aid in understanding its optical properties.

2. How is the Fourier Transform of a non-centered circular aperture calculated?

The Fourier Transform of a non-centered circular aperture is calculated by taking the integral of the aperture's spatial domain function multiplied by a complex exponential function. This integral is evaluated over the entire aperture's area and can be solved using various numerical methods.

3. What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and diffraction patterns of a non-centered circular aperture?

The Fourier Transform of a non-centered circular aperture is directly related to its diffraction pattern. By taking the absolute square of the Fourier Transform, the intensity of the diffraction pattern at different angles can be determined. This can provide valuable information about the aperture's optical properties and the resulting image produced by the aperture.

4. How does the centering of a circular aperture affect its Fourier Transform?

The centering of a circular aperture does not affect its Fourier Transform in a significant way. As long as the aperture's spatial domain function is properly defined, the Fourier Transform will accurately represent its diffraction pattern regardless of its centering.

5. Can the Fourier Transform of a non-centered circular aperture be used for image reconstruction?

Yes, the Fourier Transform of a non-centered circular aperture can be used for image reconstruction. By taking the inverse Fourier Transform of the aperture's diffraction pattern, an approximation of the original image can be obtained. However, the reconstruction may not be perfect due to diffraction effects and other factors.