Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling -

• Thread starter shreekumarc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tunnelling
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the pre-exponential and exponential terms in the standard Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling expression. It was mentioned that the FD model is only valid at very low temperatures and can be difficult to match with experimental values due to uncertainties in the area of the conduction material. It was also noted that the standard expression is in Amps/Cm^2 and the result can be multiplied by the surface area to obtain the current density over a specific area. However, estimating the surface area can be a challenge in practical applications.
shreekumarc
Hi,

I wanted to know how the pre-exponential and exponential terms of the standard Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling is calculated to a certain value. So can anyone give the calculations of these two terms?

The FN Expression is given as

J = A.F^2.exp(-B/F)

Where J = Current Density, A = pre exponential term = q*mo/(16*pi*pi*h*mox*phi_b)
B = Exponential Term = (4/3)*[sqrt(2*mox)]*[q*phi_b]^(3/2)/(q*h_bar*F)

with due regards

Shre

Physics news on Phys.org
shreekumarc said:
Hi,

I wanted to know how the pre-exponential and exponential terms of the standard Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling is calculated to a certain value. So can anyone give the calculations of these two terms?

The FN Expression is given as

J = A.F^2.exp(-B/F)

Where J = Current Density, A = pre exponential term = q*mo/(16*pi*pi*h*mox*phi_b)
B = Exponential Term = (4/3)*[sqrt(2*mox)]*[q*phi_b]^(3/2)/(q*h_bar*F)

with due regards

Shre

Er.. I'm not sure what you mean by the calculations of those parameters. If you mean as in how they are derived, that is going to be rather involved, since you have to start right from the transmission current density, and then invoking a series of simplification. The form that you have for the FD equation is valid at very low temperatures only.

If you mean how do we obtain numbers out of them, then this technically do not involve "calculations", but rather values that you need to obtain, such as the work function (your phi). However, more often than not, these values are "simplified" in experiments where if you plot ln(J/F^2) versus 1/F, you can obtain the value of the work function from the slope of your graph over a limited range of field strength.

FD model is quite "un-transparent" over the range of which it is valid. That's one annoying factor of this model, at least to me.

Zz.

Thank you so much for your answer. I am quite confused over the term "Current Density" - how can we match analytical values and simulated values when we are uncertain about the area of the conduction material (say Gate for instance)? That is the expression does not involve the area but simulations with EDA tools like Atlas, they need to be fed with the area in order to get the current density.

shreekumarc said:
Thank you so much for your answer. I am quite confused over the term "Current Density" - how can we match analytical values and simulated values when we are uncertain about the area of the conduction material (say Gate for instance)? That is the expression does not involve the area but simulations with EDA tools like Atlas, they need to be fed with the area in order to get the current density.

That is the one part of Fowler-Nordheim model that is not part of the theory. You will have to decide what is the area of the field emitter. This is where you have to know probably via experiment (for example, you look at a particular surface via a microscope or an SEM and see if there are any obvious field emitter and estimate the surface area).

There are, I think, a few papers that give you calculations for the field-enhancement value that depends on geometry of the protrusions. However, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for. So maybe at the simplest stage, your conduction surface would be the area that you want if you can estimate that all the field currents come out of the surface. In practice, though, this is can be not the case.

Zz.

Okay...the standard expression is in Amps/Cm^2.Right? If Our area is say 10 um^2 - then we multiply the result with 10*1e-08 with the result to get the result in amps/um^2, which is the current density over an area of 10 um^2...is it right or am I acting foolish?

shreekumarc said:
Okay...the standard expression is in Amps/Cm^2.Right? If Our area is say 10 um^2 - then we multiply the result with 10*1e-08 with the result to get the result in amps/um^2, which is the current density over an area of 10 um^2...is it right or am I acting foolish?

That is usually how we calculate the current density. The main assumption here is that you do know the surface area of your emitter, which in many experiment, is nothing more than an estimate.

Zz.

Thank you once more Zapper...I am walking on the right path then. I was initially getting confused over the calculation of the pre-exponential and exponential terms because even if we leave the effective mass and the barrier height away, it was coming to something remotely related to the values that are quoted in papers. I tried calculating by replacing values of Plancks constant and electronic charge - but the values I got were shocking. May be units needs to be cared about.

Any light upon that Zapper?

Thanking you in advance once more.

Related to Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling -

What is Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling?

Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling is a quantum mechanical phenomenon where electrons can tunnel through a potential barrier when subjected to a high electric field. This process is often used in nanoelectronics to control the flow of electrons.

How is Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling different from other types of tunneling?

Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling is distinct from other types of tunneling, such as direct tunneling, in that it occurs at lower electric fields and typically involves electrons tunneling from a metal electrode to a semiconductor material.

What is the significance of Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling in nanoelectronics?

Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling is an important phenomenon in nanoelectronics because it allows for precise control of the flow of electrons in devices, leading to increased efficiency and functionality. It is also a key mechanism in the operation of flash memory devices.

How is Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling affected by temperature?

Temperature can have a significant impact on Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling. At higher temperatures, there is increased thermal energy which can cause electrons to tunnel more frequently, leading to a higher tunneling current.

What are the potential applications of Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling?

Fowler Nordheim Tunnelling has potential applications in various fields, including nanoelectronics, quantum computing, and data storage. It can also be used in sensors and detectors, as well as in medical devices such as biosensors and drug delivery systems.