Foyle's War, The Hide - cause of explosion?

In summary, the cause of the explosion in the Wainwright's guest house in the episode "The Hide" of Foyle's War is left ambiguous and open to interpretation. The show's creator, Anthony Horowitz, leaves it up to the viewer to deduce the cause. The conversation also touches on other detective and mystery series, such as Cadfael and Inspector Morse, and the unexpected plot twists and engaging acting in The Mentalist.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
In the episode The Hide of the series Foyle's War, what causes the explosion in the Wainwright's guest house?

Science news on Phys.org
I searched and can’t seem to find an answer anywhere. I guess the deduction is left to the viewer.

and now I‘ll have to watch this series having been sucked in by the reviews.

have you seen the Cadfael episodes? Cadfael is a medieval priest detective played by Derek Jacobi.

jedishrfu said:
have you seen the Cadfael episodes? Cadfael is a medieval priest detective played by Derek Jacobi.

I've watched one or two, but haven't been motivated to watch the whole series. I've watched most of the episodes of Inspector Morse and Detective Montalbano (with English subtitles).

I just finished The Mentalist with Simon Baker. It was quite good mostly thanks to ensemble acting and Simon Baker's engaging personality. The unexpected plot twists make it even more interesting.

Stephen Tashi said:
In the episode The Hide of the series Foyle's War, what causes the explosion in the Wainwright's guest house?
I just watched the scene and Adam Wainwright's immediate reaction is 'not another bomb' but I can't make sense of this in what I remember of the context of the episode (although it's a while since I watched it properly). It could be something was cut, or perhaps a rather clumsy plot device to get Adam out of the hotel so he and Sam could go on to greater things in future episodes.

Got sucked into Game of Thrones : barely escaped with my life after a season'n'half.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What caused the explosion in "Foyle's War, The Hide"?

The explosion in "Foyle's War, The Hide" was caused by a bomb that was planted by a German spy at a secret military research facility.

2. Was the explosion accidental or intentional?

The explosion was intentional, as it was part of a plot by the German spy to sabotage the research facility and steal important military technology.

3. Were there any casualties in the explosion?

Yes, there were several casualties in the explosion, including one of the main characters, Hilda Pierce, who was killed while trying to defuse the bomb.

4. How did Foyle and his team discover the cause of the explosion?

Foyle and his team used their investigative skills and pieced together various clues and evidence to uncover the true cause of the explosion. They also received help from a German defector who revealed the spy's identity.

5. Could this type of explosion have happened in real life during World War II?

Yes, during World War II, there were many instances of sabotage and espionage by both sides. It is not uncommon for enemy spies to try and infiltrate and sabotage military facilities, making the events in "Foyle's War, The Hide" a realistic portrayal of the time period.