What is the “Unknown physics” of the new Kilonovae explosion?

In summary: I was expecting more of an explanation.In summary, scientists recently observed a kilonovae explosion. To their surprise, the explosion is completely spherical. They are saying that this is the cause of unknown physics but I don’t understand why they think unknown physics is causing this. What’s unknown about a perfect spherical explosion?
Maximum7
TL;DR Summary
I’m trying to figure out what the perfect spherical supernovae explosion means
Scientists recently observed a kilonovae explosion. To their surprise, the explosion is completely spherical. They are saying that this is the cause of unknown physics but I don’t understand why they think unknown physics is causing this. What’s unknown about a perfect spherical explosion? My physics isn’t great but I am very curious.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Thank you. The first thing you do is note the authors named in the article, Sneppen and Watson, and plug their names into the search at arxiv.org. That usually gets you the actual paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2302.06621. That's always going to be more helpful than a journalist's bad paraphrase.

I'll have a look. The abstract says that in a neutron star merger you expect the neutron stars' spins and orbit to provide directionality to the blast, but apparently not in this case. From the abstract I'm not sure they're proposing new physics, just that there's something they are missing.

Likes Astronuc, topsquark and BillTre
I've read the paper, and that's about it. We expect neutron star merger novae to be oblate because they come from rapidly spinning sources. Modelling of such extremely non-spherical sources suggests that the ejecta should be oblate because the material is ejected at different speeds at different angles to the spins and orbital planes of the neutron stars. Imaging of this one suggests that's not the case, and it's difficult to see how the models can be tweaked to look like it. So there's something fairly drastic going on (at least in this case) that isn't in the models.

Likes topsquark
Albert Sneppen, age 24, made local (non-science) news in Denmark with this paper being his second accepted in Nature since his single-authered one, https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-93595-w (open access), got accepted when he was just 22. Always inspiring to see young brilliant scientists making new discoveries.

Ibix said:
I've read the paper, and that's about it. We expect neutron star merger novae to be oblate because they come from rapidly spinning sources. Modelling of such extremely non-spherical sources suggests that the ejecta should be oblate because the material is ejected at different speeds at different angles to the spins and orbital planes of the neutron stars. Imaging of this one suggests that's not the case, and it's difficult to see how the models can be tweaked to look like it. So there's something fairly drastic going on (at least in this case) that isn't in the models.

But how is it unknown physics? The article said something about a magnetic bomb in the center.

Maximum7 said:
But how is it unknown physics? The article said something about a magnetic bomb in the center.
Well if it were known physics the models would predict the same as the observations... I don't know (and I suspect the authors don't know either) what's wrong with the models. It could be stuff we already know but didn't apply correctly, or it could be genuinely new (to us) physics in the extreme conditions of a collision between neutron stars. And as far as I understand it this is also just one data point, so it could always be some unknown interfering factor in this one case. "New physics" is a pretty wide umbrella.

I'm not sure where you are reading "magnetic bomb". Magnetic reconnection is mentioned, which is where magnetic field lines are forced to cross, which releases energy from the magnetic field. It's a known phenomenon, but I think they're saying that as we understand the phenomenon it can't do enough to explain this. But it's always possible that we don't understand magnetic fields in extreme conditions as well as we think.

This question is a little like "What is the name of the person buried in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier".'?

If the authors say they don;t know, who are we to tell them that they do?

Likes Astronuc
It's also worth noting that "there could be new physics here" is a good way of selling your work to the scientifically interested public, which can lead to moral pressure on funding bodies to continue supporting you. I don't doubt their claims that there's stuff they don't understand there, and high energy events are certainly likely places to find genuinely new behaviour. But one should probably treat such claims in the popular press the same way you would treat "that shirt looks great on you, sir" from a clothes shop assistant - a defensible claim and certainly possible, but not from an entirely disinterested source.

Vanadium 50 said:
This question is a little like "What is the name of the person buried in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier".'?

If the authors say they don;t know, who are we to tell them that they do?
Well I was just looking for a definition of what they could mean as “unknown physics”. Is the mechanism behind the spherical explosion unknown. Is it because of a new particle or a new fundamental law. I honestly don’t have a clue. When I read “New unknown physics” I get excited and am not even remotely smart enough to imagine what that means.

The authors say they don't lmpw what is going on. Isb y6our position really that not only are they lying and have a good idea, but we also know on PF what they are thinking? Really?

Vanadium 50 said:
The authors say they don't lmpw what is going on. Isb y6our position really that not only are they lying and have a good idea, but we also know on PF what they are thinking? Really?
Of course not. I was just looking for someone to weigh in with some speculation. Geez

Maximum7 said:
Well I was just looking for a definition of what they could mean as “unknown physics”.
It can be almost anything, that's the point. For example, much closer to home, we have occasionally found heavenly bodies not quite where we expect. With Mercury that turned out to be new physics (general relativity). With Uranus it turned out to be no new physics but a planet we didn't know about (Neptune). With the Pioneer probe it turned out to be a tiny thrust from radiation from its power supply bouncing off its antenna dish (well known physics that nobody had realised needed to be applied). So that's everything from "oh...duh" to rewriting physics from the ground up.
Maximum7 said:
Of course not. I was just looking for someone to weigh in with some speculation. Geez
That's not really what we do here. Unless somebody has a detailed knowledge of neutron star physics their speculation isn't worth a whole lot. And people with detailed knowledge of neutron stars are more likely to publish in journals than here. You could search for papers citing the one on arxiv - that's where there'll be meaningful speculation. The abstracts will give you a clue what they're talking about, even if you don't follow the detail, and that's a topic for discussion.

Likes Filip Larsen and Vanadium 50
Ibix said:
It can be almost anything, that's the point. For example, much closer to home, we have occasionally found heavenly bodies not quite where we expect. With Mercury that turned out to be new physics (general relativity). With Uranus it turned out to be no new physics but a planet we didn't know about (Neptune). With the Pioneer probe it turned out to be a tiny thrust from radiation from its power supply bouncing off its antenna dish (well known physics that nobody had realised needed to be applied). So that's everything from "oh...duh" to rewriting physics from the ground up.

That's not really what we do here. Unless somebody has a detailed knowledge of neutron star physics their speculation isn't worth a whole lot. And people with detailed knowledge of neutron stars are more likely to publish in journals than here. You could search for papers citing the one on arxiv - that's where there'll be meaningful speculation. The abstracts will give you a clue what they're talking about, even if you don't follow the detail, and that's a topic for discussion.
Fair enough. I just read “Unknown physics” and get excited lol

Maximum7 said:
Share the excitement ; where does the article you linked mention that phrase ?

Maximum7 said:
And that is why people say "unknown physics" instead of "We don't know what we're doing wrong here":smile:

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, Tom.G and Vanadium 50

1. What is the "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion?

The "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion refers to the physical processes that occur during the merger of two neutron stars, which results in a powerful explosion known as a kilonova. This explosion is still not fully understood and requires further research and study.

2. How is the "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion different from other explosions?

The "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion is different from other explosions because it involves the merging of two neutron stars, which are extremely dense and compact objects. This process releases a tremendous amount of energy and results in the creation of heavy elements, such as gold and platinum, which are not produced in other types of explosions.

3. Why is it important to study the "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion?

Studying the "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion is important because it can provide insight into the fundamental laws of physics, such as gravity and nuclear physics. It can also help us better understand the origins of heavy elements in the universe and the processes that shape our universe.

4. What are some current theories about the "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion?

Some current theories about the "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion include the role of magnetic fields, the properties of neutron stars, and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions. Researchers are also studying the effects of general relativity and the possible formation of a black hole after the merger of two neutron stars.

5. How do scientists plan to learn more about the "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion?

Scientists plan to learn more about the "Unknown physics" of the new Kilonovae explosion through a combination of theoretical modeling, observational data, and advanced simulations. They also hope to gather more data from future observations of kilonovae events and by studying the remnants of these explosions. Collaboration between different fields of science, such as astronomy and nuclear physics, will also be crucial in advancing our understanding of this phenomenon.