Fractal Geometry in Extra-Terrestrial Images: Discovering Life on Mars?

• Thread starter tokenman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Mars
In summary: The answer to your question is no, fractal growth does not mean it is biological.Thank you for your answer.
tokenman
Does anyone remember the Nasa image of the 'segmented worm' found on Mars?
I had recently seen a documentary on PBS about fractals in which it was stated that all biology is based on fractals and that if one could establish a fractal pattern in something, then it was certainly biological.
I wrote Nasa several emails asking them whether they had done any such experiments to determine whether or not the 'segmented worm' showed any fractal patterns in it's makeup. I never got any response back.
So I put the question to you:
Can fractal geometry be applied to images of extra-terrestrial objects to determine whether they are biological or not?

Biology news on Phys.org
tokenman said:
Can fractal geometry be applied to images of extra-terrestrial objects to determine whether they are biological or not?

As a definitive test, no.

Thank you for your answer.
I wouldn't take it as proof, but couldn't one eliminate that which is definitely not biological with this test, thus leaving the door open to further experiments?

Crystals can also grow in a fractal pattern: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6TXW-4RRNXS1-2&_user=10&_coverDate=03%2F17%2F2008&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1389955839&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=284d3c7a76added48cf85e57de2362ad"

There are other examples as well: http://pra.aps.org/abstract/PRA/v35/i9/p4012_1"

Thus the answer to your question is a no, fractal growth does not mean it is biological.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answer. I do think, in reference to the original premise, that one could easily tell the difference between a crystalline substance and a segmented worm which tapers at both ends. Perhaps my question is the problem.
Do you think there would be any merit whatsoever in applying this test to images taken extra-terrestrially?
I promise not to push the question any further after this. :)

What segmented worm? That is Richard Hoagland nonsense.

D H said:
What segmented worm?

My thoughts precisely.

Not segmented worm, 'segmented worm'. Whatever image we happened to find, we would not confuse it with that of a 'snowflake'.
"Do you think there would be any merit whatsoever in applying this test to images taken extra-terrestrially?"

tokenman said:
Not segmented worm, 'segmented worm'. Whatever image we happened to find, we would not confuse it with that of a 'snowflake'.
"Do you think there would be any merit whatsoever in applying this test to images taken extra-terrestrially?"

By 'segmented worm' I presume you are talking about the sand dunes which go by a variety of names like 'glass worms' 'glass tubes' etc.. I'm pretty sure itw as concluded they were sanddunes in some sort of narrow crevice.

Anyways.

For your question, yes studying such things can lead to assuming that such a structure was created by a lifeform but it's far from definitive. There are geological activities that can make fractal structures (AFAIK).

The question has already been answered.

Related to Fractal Geometry in Extra-Terrestrial Images: Discovering Life on Mars?

1. What is fractal geometry and how is it used in extra-terrestrial images?

Fractal geometry is a mathematical concept that involves the repetition of patterns at different scales. It is used in extra-terrestrial images to analyze the surface of Mars and other celestial bodies, looking for signs of life.

2. Can fractal geometry really help in discovering life on Mars?

Yes, fractal geometry has been proven to be a useful tool in analyzing images of Mars and other planets. By identifying patterns that resemble those found in living organisms on Earth, scientists can narrow down potential areas to search for signs of life.

3. How do scientists determine if a fractal pattern in an extra-terrestrial image is a sign of life?

Scientists use a variety of methods to analyze fractal patterns in extra-terrestrial images. This can include comparing the patterns to those found in living organisms on Earth, as well as looking for patterns that are unique or unexpected, which could indicate the presence of life.

4. Are there any limitations to using fractal geometry in extra-terrestrial image analysis?

Like any scientific tool, there are limitations to using fractal geometry in extra-terrestrial image analysis. It is important for scientists to consider other factors, such as geological processes, that may also produce similar patterns.

5. What other applications does fractal geometry have in astronomy or space exploration?

Fractal geometry has been used in a variety of applications in astronomy and space exploration. It has been used to analyze structures in the universe, such as galaxies and clusters of stars, as well as to create realistic simulations of celestial bodies.