How Do Fractals Relate to Successive Terms in Mathematical Sequences?

• Thread starter L²Cc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractals
In summary, the conversation involves applying the relationship between successive terms of Nn, Ln, Pn, an, and An to find the values of each parameter up to a specific value n. The task is to use a spreadsheet or similar software to calculate the values of An until they repeat to within one millionth of a square unit. The conversation also mentions the use of equations and asks for software recommendations.
L²Cc
I have a portfolio due tomorrow and I don't understand the wording of the q

applying the relationship between successive terms of Nn, Ln, Pn, an, and An, use a spreadsheet or similar software to find the values of each parameter up to the value n where An+1 = An to within one millionth of a square unit. (what is the value of this limiting n?)

Physics news on Phys.org
L²Cc said:

applying the relationship between successive terms of Nn, Ln, Pn, an, and An, use a spreadsheet or similar software to find the values of each parameter up to the value n where An+1 = An to within one millionth of a square unit. (what is the value of this limiting n?)
This is why you need software because you do not know what that value is yet. I am a little confused as to what the question is asking as well but do the terms Nn etc. have forumlae assosiated with them?

The Bob (2004 ©)

L²Cc said:

Sincd you have told us nothing about the "relationship", I don't see how you can expec anyone to give you advice. Apparently you are given some equation relating these various things. All I can say is enter the formula into whatever software you are using and repeatedly calculate An until a the first five decimal places (1 milliionth) start repeating

sorry for the lack of info but yes I do have equations. I'm conncted from a phone so it would be pretty hard to write out MY equation for An...here's the equation in words: square root of 3 over 4 + square root of 3 over 12 * ((9/5 -9/5(4/9)^n)... what software do you advise me to use?

Last edited:
oh I got it thanks hallsofivy...your explanation was the most accurate!

1. What are fractals?

Fractals are geometric shapes that exhibit self-similarity at different scales. This means that when you zoom in on a fractal, you will see the same pattern repeated over and over again.

2. How are fractals used in science?

Fractals have many applications in science, including computer graphics, data compression, and modeling natural phenomena such as coastlines and clouds. They are also used in the study of chaos theory and the development of complex systems.

3. What is the significance of fractal dimension?

Fractal dimension is a measure of the complexity of a fractal. It takes into account the amount of detail at different scales and can be used to compare and classify different fractals. A higher fractal dimension indicates a more complex and detailed fractal.

4. Can fractals be found in nature?

Yes, fractals can be found in many natural phenomena such as snowflakes, trees, and coastlines. In fact, many natural systems exhibit fractal behavior, showing self-similarity at different scales.

5. How are fractals generated?

Fractals can be created using mathematical algorithms or through physical processes, such as iteratively applying a set of rules to a shape or object. Computer programs can also be used to generate fractals by repeating simple instructions over and over again.