How Do I Apply the Nth-Term Test to the Sequence (-1)^n+1?

In summary, the nth-term test is a test to determine if a series converges or diverges. If the nth-term test shows that the series does not converge, then the series diverges.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

I attached the problem

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try to apply the nth-term test on the sequence, (-1)^n+1, I get an indeterminate form; so, I try to raise e to the ln[(-1^n+1)], but I run into the same problem. How do I take the limit, in this instance, in order for the nth-term test to decide anything?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 481
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by the "nth term test"? One theorem says that if the terms do not go to 0, then the series cannot converge.

Yes, but isn't (-1)^infinity an indeterminate form?

You are correct that the alternating series of the form (-1)^n diverges.

So, this series for sine is just a different form of an alternating series.

Now, the nth-term test is a waste of time. This would be a last resort test, because there are so many other (more simplicities) ways to identify convergence/divergence.

The nth-term test is when you right out the first 4 or 5 terms and the last few nth-terms.

Example:
sin(pi) + sin(3/2 pi) + sin(2 pi) + sin(5/2 pi) + ... + sin([2n-7]/2 pi) + sin([2n-5]/2 pi) + sin([2n-3]/2 pi) + sin([2n-1]/2 pi)

Simplifying:
0 - 1 + 0 + 1 + ... + sin([2n-7]/2 pi) + sin([2n-5]/2 pi) + sin([2n-3]/2 pi) + sin([2n-1]/2 pi)

Therefore, per the nth-term test, the series oscillates between 1 and -1. Therefore, the given series diverges.

Sorry. I guess I didn't show my last step.

the series further simplifies to:
-1 + 1 + ...
Which is a basic alternating series of (-1)^(n)
This series is a known to diverge. No further justifications needed

Taiki_Kazuma said:
You are correct that the alternating series of the form (-1)^n diverges.

So, this series for sine is just a different form of an alternating series.

Now, the nth-term test is a waste of time. This would be a last resort test, because there are so many other (more simplicities) ways to identify convergence/divergence.

The nth-term test is when you right out the first 4 or 5 terms and the last few nth-terms.
That's not what I would call the nth term test. The usual meaning is described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_test

and is in fact the FIRST test you should apply when checking whether a series converges or not. Namely, if [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n \neq 0[/itex], then there's no way the series [itex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} a_n[/itex] can converge, so you're wasting your time with other, more complicated tests.

To answer Bashyboy's original question:

Bashyboy said:
When I try to apply the nth-term test on the sequence, (-1)^n+1, I get an indeterminate form
No, an indeterminate form is something like [itex]0 / 0[/itex] or [itex]0 \cdot \infty[/itex].

For [itex](-1)^{n+1}[/itex], it's simple to see that this sequence diverges: it oscillates between +1 and -1, so there can't be any value that all of the sequence terms will be near for arbitrarily large [itex]n[/itex].

Another way to see this is that the sequence contains a subsequence (the odd values of [itex]n[/itex]) that converges to 1, and another subsequence (the even values of [itex]n[/itex]) that converges to -1. This cannot happen with a convergent sequence.

A third way to see this is to look at the absolute value: [itex]|(-1)^{n+1}| = 1[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex], whereas if the sequence converges to zero, so must its absolute value.

jbunniii said:
That's not what I would call the nth term test. The usual meaning is described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_test

and is in fact the FIRST test you should apply when checking whether a series converges or not.
I heartily agree. It's very easy to apply this test, so if the test is inconclusive, you haven't wasted much time.
jbunniii said:
Namely, if [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n \neq 0[/itex], then there's no way the series [itex]\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} a_n[/itex] can converge, so you're wasting your time with other, more complicated tests.

So, could anyone explicitly show me how to apply the nth term test?

Bashyboy said:
So, could anyone explicitly show me how to apply the nth term test?
I showed you three different, but equivalent, ways in my previous message.

[itex]\displaystyle \lim_{n\,\to\,\infty}\,(-1)^{n}[/itex] Does Not Exist, so the limit is certainly not zero.

Therefore, [itex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty\,(-1)^{n\ \ }[/itex] diverges.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Related to How Do I Apply the Nth-Term Test to the Sequence (-1)^n+1?

1. What is the Nth-term Test of Series?

The Nth-term Test of Series is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It states that if the limit of the Nth term of a series is not equal to zero, then the series is divergent. However, if the limit of the Nth term is equal to zero, further tests such as the integral test or ratio test may be required to determine convergence.

2. How do I use the Nth-term Test of Series?

To use the Nth-term Test of Series, you first need to find the Nth term of the series. Then, take the limit of the Nth term as n approaches infinity. If the limit is not equal to zero, the series diverges. If the limit is equal to zero, further tests may be needed to determine convergence.

3. What is the difference between the Nth-term Test and the Integral Test?

The Nth-term Test and the Integral Test are both methods used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. However, the Nth-term Test focuses on the limit of the Nth term, while the Integral Test uses the integral of the series. The Nth-term Test is typically used for series with terms involving powers of n, while the Integral Test is used for series with terms involving trigonometric functions or exponential functions.

4. Can the Nth-term Test be used on all series?

No, the Nth-term Test cannot be used on all series. It is most commonly used for series with terms involving powers of n, but may not be applicable for series with alternating signs or terms involving factorials. In these cases, other tests such as the ratio test or the alternating series test may be more appropriate.

5. How is the Nth-term Test related to the Divergence Test?

The Nth-term Test is often referred to as the Divergence Test, as it is used to determine if a series diverges. However, the Divergence Test is a more general term that encompasses other methods such as the limit comparison test and the root test. The Nth-term Test is a specific type of Divergence Test that focuses on the limit of the Nth term.