Fraction of solar neutrinos arriving at the Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses solar neutrinos of energy 1 MeV, formed at the center of the sun in the ##\nu_2## eigenstate. The question is asked about the expected fractions of these neutrinos arriving at Earth as ##\nu_\mu## and ##\nu_\tau##, assuming adiabatic evolution inside the sun. The conversation also touches on the calculation of the fraction and the dependence on distance traveled and neutrino energy. It is concluded that for neutrinos produced with energies above resonance, the fraction of arriving neutrinos is constant and can be calculated using the PMNS matrix.
thinkLamp

Homework Statement

Consider solar neutrinos of energy 1 MeV (EDIT: 10 MeV not 1 MeV) which are formed at the center of the sun in the ##\nu_2## eigenstate. What fraction of it do you expect to arrive at Earth as ##\nu_\mu## and what fraction as ##\nu_\tau##? Assume that it evolves adiabaticaly inside the sun.

Homework Equations

$$
\left| \psi(x, t) \right>
= \left| \nu_2 \right> e^{-i\phi_2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the neutrino is formed in the ##\left| \nu_2 \right>## eigenstate,
$$
= \left| \nu_2 \right> e^{-i\phi_2} \\
= \left( U_{e_2}^* \left| \nu_e \right> + U_{\mu_2}^* \left| \nu_\mu \right> + U_{\tau_2}^* \left| \nu_\tau \right>\right) e^{-i\phi_2} \\
= \left( c_e \left| \nu_e \right> + c_\mu \left| \nu_\mu \right> + c_\tau \left| \nu_\tau \right>\right) e^{-i\phi_2}
$$

Then,
$$
P(\nu_e \to \nu_\mu )
= \left| \left< \nu_\mu | \psi(x, t) \right> \right|^2 \\
= \left| c_\mu \right|^2 \\
= \left| U_{\mu_2}^* \right|^2
$$

But this probability depends neither on the neutrino energy nor on the length it has traveled. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fact that it is a 1 MeV neutrino is important only to know that it is produced above resonance (so that it actually starts out in the second eigenstate).

Why do you expect the probability to depend on the distance travelled?

Because since it will oscillate between different flavor states, "how far along" the neutrino has traveled would affect which state it is on?

thinkLamp said:
Because since it will oscillate between different flavor states, "how far along" the neutrino has traveled would affect which state it is on?
This is wrong. Solar neutrinos above resonance do not oscillate, they are subject to adiabatic flavour transitions. You need components in at least two propagation eigenstates to induce oscillations.

Does that mean the fraction of mu neutrinos (or tau neutrinos) that arrive at Earth is going to be some constant, that does not depend on the length and neutrino energy? How would I calculate that fraction then? Is it just the square of the corresponding element of the PMNS matrix?

thinkLamp said:
Does that mean the fraction of mu neutrinos (or tau neutrinos) that arrive at Earth is going to be some constant, that does not depend on the length and neutrino energy?
For neutrinos produced with energies above resonance, yes. Things change for very low-energy neutrinos, for which you essentially would observe averaged out vacuum oscillations. You also have an intermediate energy range that interpolates between the two.

thinkLamp said:
How would I calculate that fraction then? Is it just the square of the corresponding element of the PMNS matrix?
Yes.

See, eg,
lma.png

(From arXiv:1211.5359)

Note that 1 MeV is actually not really sufficient to enter the above resonance region. You would be in the transition region.

Attachments

• lma.png
    lma.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 270
For reference, figure 4.3 of my MSc thesis shows the fraction of neutrinos produced in the ##|\nu_2\rangle## state at the radius of peak 8B neutrino production (labelled ##|\hat U_{e2}|^2##). As can be seen, 1 MeV is far from high enough to produce mainly the second state. In fact, it is actually closer to the vacuum regime.

thinkLamp said:

Homework Statement

Consider solar neutrinos of energy 1 MeV which are formed at the center of the sun in the ##\nu_2## eigenstate. What fraction of it do you expect to arrive at Earth as ##\nu_\mu## and what fraction as ##\nu_\tau##? Assume that it evolves adiabaticaly inside the sun.

Homework Equations

$$
= \left| \nu_2 \right> e^{-i\phi_2}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the neutrino is formed in the ##\left| \nu_2 \right>## eigenstate,
$$
= \left| \nu_2 \right> e^{-i\phi_2} \\
= \left( U_{e_2}^* \left| \nu_e \right> + U_{\mu_2}^* \left| \nu_\mu \right> + U_{\tau_2}^* \left| \nu_\tau \right>\right) e^{-i\phi_2} \\
= \left( c_e \left| \nu_e \right> + c_\mu \left| \nu_\mu \right> + c_\tau \left| \nu_\tau \right>\right) e^{-i\phi_2}
$$

Then,
$$
P(\nu_e \to \nu_\mu )
= \left| \left< \nu_\mu | \psi(x, t) \right> \right|^2 \\
= \left| c_\mu \right|^2 \\
= \left| U_{\mu_2}^* \right|^2
$$

But this probability depends neither on the neutrino energy nor on the length it has traveled. What did I do wrong?

You wrote ##
= \left| \nu_2 \right> e^{-i\phi_2} ##. You meant ##\left| \psi(0,0) \right>##. You need to propagate it to the Earth and find
##
\left| \psi(x, t) \right>## at the Earth's location.

nrqed said:
You wrote ##
= \left| \nu_2 \right> e^{-i\phi_2} ##. You meant ##\left| \psi(0,0) \right>##. You need to propagate it to the Earth and find
##

Okay. I'm not sure how to write ##\left| \psi(x, t) \right>## though.

Very generally, my guess is that it would be
$$
\left| \psi(x, t) \right> = U_{e1}^* \left| \nu_1 \right> e^{-i \phi_1} + U_{e2}^* \left| \nu_2 \right> e^{-i \phi_2} + U_{e3}^* \left| \nu_3 \right> e^{-i \phi_3}
$$
But here, since I'm starting at the ## \left| \nu_2 \right>## state, it would just be
$$
\left| \psi(x, t) \right> = \left| \nu_2 \right> e^{-i \phi_2}
$$
?

Btw my ##\phi_i = p_i \cdot x_i = (E_i t - { \bf p_i \cdot x })##.

Also what Orodruin said above. But that calculation would be trivial since it's just reading off the PMNS matrix.

EDIT: The energy I'm supposed to use is 10 MeV not 1 MeV. I misread it.

nrqed said:
You wrote ##
##
This is not correct. The original state is ##|\nu_2\rangle##, which acquires a phase ##\phi_2## upon propagation to the Earth.

Orodruin said:
This is not correct. The original state is ##|\nu_2\rangle##, which acquires a phase ##\phi_2## upon propagation to the Earth.
I did not realize that ##\phi## stood for ## P \cdot X ##, I thought it was some arbitrary constant phase.
I will let you, the expert, answer the questions and keep my mouth shut.

What are solar neutrinos and how are they produced?

Solar neutrinos are subatomic particles that are produced through nuclear fusion reactions at the core of the Sun. Specifically, they are created when protons are converted into helium atoms, releasing energy in the form of neutrinos.

What is the fraction of solar neutrinos that reach the Earth?

The fraction of solar neutrinos that reach the Earth is approximately one third. This means that for every three solar neutrinos produced at the core of the Sun, only one will make it to the Earth.

Why is the fraction of solar neutrinos reaching the Earth lower than expected?

This is due to the fact that neutrinos have a very small mass and do not interact with matter very much. As a result, they can easily pass through the dense layers of the Sun without being absorbed or scattered, making it difficult for them to reach the Earth.

How do scientists study the fraction of solar neutrinos arriving at the Earth?

Scientists use specialized detectors, such as the Super-Kamiokande in Japan, to observe and measure the flux of solar neutrinos reaching the Earth. These detectors are able to detect the extremely rare interactions between neutrinos and other particles, allowing scientists to study their properties and behavior.

What is the significance of studying the fraction of solar neutrinos reaching the Earth?

Studying the fraction of solar neutrinos reaching the Earth provides important insights into the inner workings of the Sun and its energy production processes. It also helps scientists better understand the properties of neutrinos, which could have implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution.