Frame dragging from a light beam

In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of whether or not light can create frame dragging and if it can become "tired" from traveling through the universe and exchanging momentum with its environment. The consensus is that while rotating black holes can cause frame dragging and light has momentum and energy that can affect the curvature of space-time, the idea that mass causes gravity is a Newtonian concept and in general relativity, it is the stress energy tensor that causes gravity. There is no definite answer on whether or not light specifically can cause frame dragging, but it is a possibility. There is also some discussion on whether or not light would become "tired" from this process.
Dmitry67
Does light beam create linear frame fragging around it?
If answer is positive, can light become 'tired' going thru the universe and exchanging the momentum with the environment via frame dragging?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just my 2-cents:
I think frame-dragging is a potential consequence of moving mass objects, of which a photon would not qualify.
Could be wrong.

Hm... I doubt it.

1. We know that rotating black holes create frame dragging.
2. Based on the 'no hair' theorem it is irrelevant what BH is made of.
3. If could be made of photon gas, for example.
4. Frame dragging can not 'switch on' instantaneously when photon gas cloud became a BH
5. So there was a frame dragging from a very beginning, from the photons.

The idea that mass causes gravity is a Newtonian idea. While it's perfectly correct in Newtonian theory, it's not correct in GR. In GR, it's the stress energy tensor that causes gravity. Saying the words "Stress-energy tensor" unfortunately might scare or confuse someone who hasn't studied the theory, but what it means is that anything that has momentum and energy can affect the curvature of space-time. Light certainly has both momentum and energy and thus it can and does affect the curvature of space-time - i.e. cause "gravity".

As far as to the question whether or not light specifically can cause frame dragging, I believe the answer is almost certainly yes, but I haven't calculated it personally.

pervect, I googled it a lot, but I did not find an answer.
Could you calculate it?
Because if nswer is YES then light MUST become 'tired'.

Related to Frame dragging from a light beam

1. What is frame dragging from a light beam?

Frame dragging from a light beam, also known as the Lense-Thirring effect, is a phenomenon in general relativity where a massive rotating object, such as a planet or star, can drag the space and time around it as it rotates, causing a distortion in the local gravitational field.

2. How does frame dragging from a light beam affect the path of light?

Frame dragging from a light beam causes light to travel in a curved path around a massive rotating object. This is due to the distortion of space and time caused by the rotating object, altering the path of light as it passes by.

3. Can frame dragging from a light beam be observed in everyday life?

Frame dragging from a light beam is a very small effect and can only be observed in extreme cases, such as near a rotating black hole. It is not noticeable in everyday life on Earth.

4. How is frame dragging from a light beam related to the theory of general relativity?

Frame dragging from a light beam is a direct consequence of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains how gravity works in terms of the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

5. What implications does frame dragging from a light beam have for our understanding of the universe?

Frame dragging from a light beam is an important confirmation of the predictions of general relativity and provides insight into the behavior of massive rotating objects in the universe, such as black holes and galaxies. It also has potential applications in technologies such as satellite navigation systems.