Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel

In summary, the conversation is about solving a Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel. The equation is given and the individual is seeking help on how to proceed with the solution. They are asked to verify the equation and try integrating it, with the final goal being to find the value of the integral of phi.
Jianphys17
Hi at all
On my math methods book, i came across the following Fredholm integ eq with separable ker:

1) φ(x)-4∫sin^2xφ(t)dt = 2x-pi
With integral ends(0,pi/2)
I do not know how to proceed, for the solution...

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this an assigned problem?

Could you verify that the equation you are working with can be written as follows: $$\phi(x)-4\sin^2(x)\left(\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\phi(t) dt\right)=2x-\pi.$$ I want to be sure I'm not missing any hidden dependence on the variables involved.

Haborix said:
Is this an assigned problem?

Could you verify that the equation you are working with can be written as follows: $$\phi(x)-4\sin^2(x)\left(\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\phi(t) dt\right)=2x-\pi.$$ I want to be sure I'm not missing any hidden dependence on the variables involved.
Yes, If you can kindly help me understand how to proceed to solve it ! :bow:

It's clear that if we knew the value of ##\int\phi dt##, then this would just be an algebra problem. Think about what integrating both sides of the equation from ##0## to ##\pi/2## would allow you to do.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Sorry, the book It gives me the solution, but I do not know how to proceed...:olduhh:

Did you try integrating the equation as I suggested?

Sorry, I've been absent for a few days.. anyway yes, but how?

I'm going to write out explicitly what I think you should compute, but I think you should be the one to perform the computation.

$$
\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left(\phi(x)-4\sin^2(x)\left(\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\phi(t) dt\right)\right)dx=\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\left(2x-\pi\right)dx
$$

Remember that ##\int \phi(t) dt## is just a number; it does not depend on ##x##.

1. What is a Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel?

A Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel is a type of integral equation that involves a separable kernel, which can be written as a product of two functions. These types of equations are commonly used in mathematics and physics to model a variety of phenomena.

2. What is the difference between a Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel and a standard Fredholm equation?

The main difference between a Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel and a standard Fredholm equation is the form of the kernel. In a standard Fredholm equation, the kernel cannot be written as a product of two functions, while in a Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel, the kernel is separable.

3. How do you solve a Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel?

The solution to a Fredholm integral equation with separable kernel can be found by using various numerical methods such as the method of successive approximations, the collocation method, or the Galerkin method. In some cases, an analytical solution may also be possible.

4. What are some applications of Fredholm integral equations with separable kernel?

Fredholm integral equations with separable kernel have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are commonly used to model problems involving diffraction, scattering, and radiation. They can also be used to solve problems in heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when working with Fredholm integral equations with separable kernel?

One limitation of working with Fredholm integral equations with separable kernel is that analytical solutions are not always possible, which means that numerical methods must be used. Additionally, these types of equations can be computationally expensive to solve and may require specialized software or programming skills.