Line integral of a vector field (Polar coordinate)

Lambda96
Homework Statement
Calculate the work done, which acts on the particle
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I am not sure if I have solved task b correctly

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-07 um 20.50.27.png

According to the task, ##\textbf{F}=f \vec{e}_{\rho}## which in Cartesian coordinates is ##\textbf{F}=f \vec{e}_{\rho}= \left(\begin{array}{c} \cos(\phi) \\ \sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)## since ##f \in \mathbb{R}_{\neq 0}## is constant, ##\textbf{F}## would simply be ##f## in polar coordinates, wouldn't it?

##\dot{r}(t)## would be ##\dot{\rho}(t)## and therefore ##\dot{\rho}(t)=8 \pi \sin(4 \pi t) cos(4 \pi t)##

The line integral is:

##\int_{0}^{1} dt f \cdot 8 \pi \sin(4 \pi t) cos(4 \pi t)=0##

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-07 um 20.50.27.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-07 um 20.50.27.png
    47.6 KB · Views: 26
Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
According to the task, ##\textbf{F}=f \vec{e}_{\rho}## which in Cartesian coordinates is ##\textbf{F}=f \vec{e}_{\rho}= \left(\begin{array}{c} \cos(\phi) \\ \sin(\phi) \end{array}\right)##
Did you leave out a factor of ##f## in the expression on the far right?

For Cartesian coordinates, I would express the force in the form ##\textbf{F}=(...) \textbf e_x + (...) \textbf e_y##.
For part (b) you are staying in polar coordinates.

Lambda96 said:
##\textbf{F}## would simply be ##f## in polar coordinates, wouldn't it?
##\textbf F## is a vector while ##f## is a scalar. So, they can't be equal. In polar coordinates, you would express the force in the form ##\textbf{F}=(...) \textbf e_{\rho} + (...) \textbf e_{\phi}##.

Lambda96 said:
##\dot{r}(t)## would be ##\dot{\rho}(t)## and therefore ##\dot{\rho}(t)=8 \pi \sin(4 \pi t) cos(4 \pi t)##

The line integral is:

##\int_{0}^{1} dt f \cdot 8 \pi \sin(4 \pi t) cos(4 \pi t)=0##
I think your line integral expression is correct.

However, it might be good to show your instructor how the integrand ##\dot{\mathbf r} \cdot \mathbf F## reduces to your expression. Thus, how would you write the vector ##\dot{\mathbf r}## in polar coordinate form ##(...) \textbf e_{\rho} + (...) \textbf e_{\phi}##? Then you can take the dot product ##\dot{\mathbf r} \cdot \mathbf F##.

In part (a) you considered the case where ##\rho_0 = 0.1## and ##\rho_1 = 1##. But it said to let ##\rho_0## and ##\rho_1## take on general values again in parts (b) and (c).

Likes Lambda96
Thank you TSny for your help 👍👍

TSny said:
Did you leave out a factor of ##f## in the expression on the far right?

For Cartesian coordinates, I would express the force in the form ##\textbf{F}=(...) \textbf e_x + (...) \textbf e_y##.
For part (b) you are staying in polar coordinates.
You're right, unfortunately, I had forgotten the f on the right-hand side of the equation.

In Cartesian coordinates, ##\textbf{F}## would then be ##\textbf{F}=f \cos(\phi) \textbf{e}_x + f \sin(\phi) \textbf{e}_y ##

##\textbf{Task b}##

##\dot{\textbf{r}}## would have to be derived using the chain rule, so it would look like this

##\dot{\textbf{r} }= \dot{\rho}(t) \textbf{e}_{\rho} + \rho(t) \dot{\phi}(t) \textbf{e}_{\phi}##

I'm still a little unsure about ##\textbf{F}##, would this be as follows?

##\textbf{F}=f \textbf{e}_{\rho} + 0 \textbf{e}_{\phi}##

Then, the scalar product of ##\dot{\textbf{r}} \cdot \textbf{F}=f \dot{\rho}(t)## since ## \textbf{e}_{\rho}## and ## \textbf{e}_{\phi}## are orthogonal to each other.

Is that correct?

That all looks very good to me.

Likes Lambda96
Thank you TSny once again for your help and explanation, which helped me a lot 👍👍

Likes TSny

What is a line integral of a vector field in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, a line integral of a vector field represents the integral of a vector field along a curve specified in terms of polar coordinates.

How is the line integral of a vector field calculated in polar coordinates?

To calculate the line integral of a vector field in polar coordinates, you first parameterize the curve in terms of the angle θ, and then compute the dot product of the vector field with the tangent vector of the curve, integrating over the specified range of θ.

What is the significance of the line integral of a vector field in polar coordinates?

The line integral of a vector field in polar coordinates helps in determining the work done by the vector field along a curve specified in polar coordinates. It is also used in various physical applications, such as calculating circulation and flux.

Can the line integral of a vector field in polar coordinates be negative?

Yes, the line integral of a vector field in polar coordinates can be negative. The sign of the line integral depends on the orientation of the curve with respect to the vector field. If the curve is oriented opposite to the direction of the vector field, the line integral will be negative.

What are some common applications of line integrals of vector fields in polar coordinates?

Some common applications of line integrals of vector fields in polar coordinates include calculating work done by a force field along a curve, determining circulation of a fluid flow around a closed curve, and finding the flux of a vector field across a curve in polar coordinates.