Fredholm's alternative & L2 convergence

In summary, the proof refers to a certain version of Fredholm's alternative theorem. Assuming that u_n are normalized eigenvectors, he uses the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and parseval's identity to conclude that |u||2 ≤ (1/δ2)∑|(∫fundx)|2. The problem is that when i try to use the same logic in order to find this bound i end up having an infinite sum of ones on the second member of the inequality.
eousseu
Hello everyone,
I'm currently going through Strauss "introduction to differential equations" and i can't get around a certain proof that he
gives on chapter 11.5 page(327 (2nd edition)).Specifically, the proof refers to a certain version of Fredholm's alternative theorem.
Assume that we are working on L2 with the following inner product

(f,g) = ∫f*g*m dx
where m(x)>0.At some point he concludes that |u(x)| ≤
∑((∫fundx)/(δ(un,un))*un
(sum from 1 to inf)
Then assuming that u_n are normalized eigenvectors he uses the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality and parseval's identity to conclude the following¨

||u||2 ≤ (1/δ2)∑|(∫fundx)|2

The problem is that when i try to use the same logic in order to find this bound i end up having an infinite sum of ones on the second member of the inequality.
Thanks!.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's rather hard for me to answer this question because of how many terms you left undefined. What are the ##u_n##? Is some function expressed as a linear combination of them? What are they eigenvectors of (and is this relevant)? I'm assuming they're orthogonal? What is ##\delta(u_n,u_n)##? What is ##\delta_2,## or is that supposed to be ##\delta^2?## Etc.

Also please consider writing your post in latex to make it easier to read.

Likes Keith_McClary
u(x) is the solution of a non homogeneous elliptic problem(analogous to the sturm -liouville d.e.) where f is the nonhomogeneous part and δ is the minimum of the difference between the eigenvalues and the coefficient of the term u(x) (assuming it is different from the eigenvalues of the Laplace operator).I did not present any details about the problem because i thought they are irrelevant(although they might not be). I just need to get from one line of the proof to the next. By δ2 i actually meant δ^2. Sorry for being unclear on this. Thanks.

1. What is Fredholm's alternative theorem?

Fredholm's alternative theorem is a fundamental result in functional analysis that provides a necessary and sufficient condition for the existence of solutions to certain integral equations. It states that for a compact operator on a Banach space, either the equation has a unique solution or its homogeneous adjoint equation has a nontrivial solution.

2. What is the significance of Fredholm's alternative theorem in mathematics?

Fredholm's alternative theorem has significant implications in various areas of mathematics, including functional analysis, differential equations, and numerical analysis. It is also a key tool in proving the existence and uniqueness of solutions to many important equations and systems.

3. What is L2 convergence?

L2 convergence is a type of convergence in the Lp space, which is a function space that measures the size of a function. It is a measure of how well a sequence of functions converges to a given function in terms of the L2 norm, which is the square root of the integral of the squared difference between the two functions.

4. How is L2 convergence related to Fredholm's alternative theorem?

L2 convergence is closely related to Fredholm's alternative theorem because it is often used to prove the existence and uniqueness of solutions to integral equations, which are the subject of the theorem. In particular, L2 convergence is used to show that a sequence of solutions to an integral equation converges to the unique solution provided by Fredholm's alternative theorem.

5. Are there any applications of Fredholm's alternative theorem in real-world problems?

Yes, Fredholm's alternative theorem has many applications in real-world problems, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it is used to study the behavior of vibrating strings, heat transfer, and population dynamics. It is also a key tool in image processing and signal analysis.