Free body diagram for an inverted pendulum in the rolling sphere

In summary: If the latter, it is simpler, but still not a typical Newtonian mechanics problem.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an inverted pendulum on a cart, with a motor located inside a spherical enclosure. The motor holds the pendulum in a vertical position and is used to control the motion of the pendulum and sphere. The symbols and equations used in the problem are also explained. There is a discussion about the forces involved, including the force of gravity, reaction forces, and friction. It is concluded that the motor is used to hold the pendulum in a vertical position, and the
GottfriedLenz
Homework Statement
To get equations of motion of the system, which consists of the pendulum in the spherical enclosure
Relevant Equations
NA
So, to obtain the motion equations I initially plotted the free-body diagram (see picture). Then I’ve tried to get equations, but I’m not sure, do I have done it rightl. I will be gratefull if someone could help me.

f0.gif

f1.gif

forcesX.drawio.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

The problem statement is not clear. Were you given the problem in written form? If so, please quote the entire problem statement exactly as given to you.

Also, define the symbols that you use in the your equations and diagram.

Last edited:
Thank you! Unfortunately, the task is formulated not in English, so I can’t simply quote it. It's kind of an inverted pendulum on a cart problem. But only instead of a cart, the pendulum is attached to the motor shaft that is placed in the centre of the spherical enclosure. Consequently, by changing the inclination of the pendulum one can make the sphere move and vice versa. I shall determine the position of the sphere in a two-dimensional plane in dependence on the inclination of the pendulum.

In the diagram, I’ve used the next notations:
CG - centre of gravity;
theta - inclination of the pendulum;
lx - distance between the centre of the sphere and the centre of gravity;
Npend - reaction force of the pendulum and Nsph is corresponding reaction of the sphere
P - force of gravity.

And the symbols in equations are:
mpend - mass of the pendulum;
Msph - mass of the spherical enclosure;
x - displacement of the spherical body;
r - radius of the sphere;
b - friction coefficient.

Thanks for providing more information. But I'm still not clear on the setup.

So, there is a motor located inside the sphere?

Is the pendulum rod locked to the motor's shaft so that the pendulum always rotates at the same angular speed as the motor's shaft?

Does the motor's shaft rotate at a constant speed relative to the body of the motor? Or is it more complicated?

Does the body of the motor rotate with the sphere?

You said that ##P## represents the force of gravity. In your diagram you have ##P_{sp}## and ##P_{pend}##. But ##P_{pend}## points upward. So, it's not a force of gravity. Rather, it looks like ##N_{pend}## and ##P_{pend}## might be the horizontal and vertical components of the force that the motor shaft exerts on the pendulum rod. ##N_{sp}## and ##P_{sp}## are the corresponding reaction forces that the pendulum exerts on the motor shaft. Is this correct?

What does the force ##F## represent that acts at the point of contact between the sphere and the surface?

The friction force at the point of contact between the sphere and the surface has the form ##b \dot x##, which seems a little strange. What type of friction is this?

Does the sphere roll without slipping on the surface?

Thank you and sorry for the delay in responding.

So, there is a motor located inside the sphere?
That’s right.

Is the pendulum rod locked to the motor's shaft so that the pendulum always rotates at the same angular speed as the motor's shaft?
Yes.

Does the motor's shaft rotate at a constant speed relative to the body of the motor? Or is it more complicated?
I’m not sure that I’ve understood your question correctly. Taking back to the analogy with an inverted pendulum on a cart, the motor is needed to hold the pendulum in the vertical position. The equations of motions, which I tried to obtain, are aimed at building a controller.

Does the body of the motor rotate with the sphere?
Yes.

You said that P represents the force of gravity. In your diagram you have Psp and Ppend. But Ppend points upward. So, it's not a force of gravity. Rather, it looks like Npend and Ppend might be the horizontal and vertical components of the force that the motor shaft exerts on the pendulum rod. Nsp and Psp are the corresponding reaction forces that the pendulum exerts on the motor shaft. Is this correct?
Yes, you are right.

What does the force F represent that acts at the point of contact between the sphere and the surface?
I have to say that it is my total misunderstanding of acting forces. I’ve meant this force makes the sphere move when the pendulum biasing. But now I see that at list direction is wrong.

The friction force at the point of contact between the sphere and the surface has the form bx˙, which seems a little strange. What type of friction is this?
One more time, my fault. Here should be the force of rolling friction. It’s really not bx.

Does the sphere roll without slipping on the surface?
Yes.

GottfriedLenz said:
the motor is needed to hold the pendulum in the vertical position
So the diagram represents a small perturbation from the vertical, but does the motor accelerate to correct it, or merely to hold it at the perturbed position? If the former, it is a control theory problem. You would need to specify the motor's logic, no?

The motor is supposed to correct the perturbation and make the pendulum vertical. However, I’m a little bit confused with your words:

If the former, it is a control theory problem.
Did you mean that in the latter it is not a control theory problem?

GottfriedLenz said:
Thank you! Unfortunately, the task is formulated not in English, so I can’t simply quote it. It's kind of an inverted pendulum on a cart problem. But only instead of a cart, the pendulum is attached to the motor shaft that is placed in the centre of the spherical enclosure. Consequently, by changing the inclination of the pendulum one can make the sphere move and vice versa. I shall determine the position of the sphere in a two-dimensional plane in dependence on the inclination of the pendulum.

In the diagram, I’ve used the next notations:
CG - centre of gravity;
theta - inclination of the pendulum;
lx - distance between the centre of the sphere and the centre of gravity;
Npend - reaction force of the pendulum and Nsph is corresponding reaction of the sphere
P - force of gravity.

And the symbols in equations are:
mpend - mass of the pendulum;
Msph - mass of the spherical enclosure;
x - displacement of the spherical body;
r - radius of the sphere;
b - friction coefficient.
What is the original language the question is originally formulated? Is it Spanish or German?

GottfriedLenz said:
The motor is supposed to correct the perturbation and make the pendulum vertical. However, I’m a little bit confused with your words:Did you mean that in the latter it is not a control theory problem?
If it were merely required to hold it in the perturbed position then it would be fairly straightforward, and would not involve control theory.
Since the aim is to restore it to the vertical, there are options in how to do that. Essentially, you need to pick a gain factor.
I'm no expert on the topic, but the ideal gain would be something analogous to critical damping of a forced oscillation. I.e., you want to get there as fast as possible without overshooting.

What is the original language the question is originally formulated? Is it Spanish or German?
The original language is Russian.
Since the aim is to restore it to the vertical, there are options in how to do that. Essentially, you need to pick a gain factor.
Thank you!

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the motion of the object and determine the net force acting on it.

2. How is a free body diagram different for an inverted pendulum in a rolling sphere?

In a traditional free body diagram, the object is stationary or moving in a straight line. However, for an inverted pendulum in a rolling sphere, the object is constantly changing direction and experiencing rotational motion. Therefore, the forces acting on the object will also be different.

3. What are the forces acting on an inverted pendulum in a rolling sphere?

The forces acting on an inverted pendulum in a rolling sphere include gravity, normal force, friction, and the centripetal force. The centripetal force is the force that keeps the object moving in a circular path.

4. How do you draw a free body diagram for an inverted pendulum in a rolling sphere?

To draw a free body diagram for an inverted pendulum in a rolling sphere, you first need to identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, draw a dot to represent the object and draw arrows representing each force, labeling them with their corresponding magnitude and direction.

5. How can a free body diagram be used to analyze the motion of an inverted pendulum in a rolling sphere?

A free body diagram can be used to determine the net force acting on the object, which can then be used to calculate the object's acceleration and predict its motion. By analyzing the forces acting on the object, we can also determine if the object is in equilibrium or if it will experience a change in motion.