Free-body diagrams and Newton's laws with a suspended chain

In summary, the problem involves a chain of three rings, each with a mass of 0.25kg, suspended from a massless rope and pulled upwards with a force of 9N. The goal is to find the values of all the unknowns. Using the equations for force and acceleration, it is necessary to assume that the acceleration of each ring is equivalent to the acceleration of the entire chain, denoted as aa = ab = ac = ad. By assigning variables to the heights of the rings and differentiating the relationships between them, it can be shown that the acceleration of each ring is indeed equal.
Korisnik

Homework Statement

The chain comprising three rings (each of mass ##0.25kg##) is suspended from a massless rope, and a pulling force ##\left(F=9N\right)## is exerted upwards on the rope. Picture: http://i.imgur.com/xeaiBsc.jpg?1.

I need to find the values of all the unknowns.

Homework Equations

$$a:\ F_y=F_R +w_a=m_aa_a\\
b:\ F_y=F_R+w_b+F_{c,b} =m_ba_b\\
c:\ F_y=F_{b,c}+w_c+F_{d,c} =m_ca_c\\d:\ F_y=F_{c,d}+w_d =m_da_d$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to solve the problem without assuming that the acceleration of each ring is equivalent to the acceleration of the whole chain ##\left(a_a=a_b=a_c=a_d\right)##. However, I don't know the law/fact that hypothesis is a consequence of.

Physics news on Phys.org
Korisnik said:
I'm not sure how to solve the problem without assuming that the acceleration of each ring is equivalent to the acceleration of the whole chain ##\left(a_a=a_b=a_c=a_d\right)##. However, I don't know the law/fact that hypothesis is a consequence of.
Suppose you assign variables to the heights of the rings. Assuming they are rigid, what is the relationship between those variables? What do you get if you differentiate those relationships?

Likes Korisnik
haruspex said:
Suppose you assign variables to the heights of the rings. Assuming they are rigid, what is the relationship between those variables? What do you get if you differentiate those relationships?
Hmm, I think I see what you're trying to say: let ##h_i## be height of body ##i## as a function of time, and ##\Delta h## a constant: then ##h_b=h_c+\Delta h##. Differentiating the equation $$\begin{align}\frac{\mathrm d{h_b}}{\mathrm d{t}}&=\frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm d{t}}(h_c+\Delta h)\\ &\Rightarrow v_b=v_c \\&\Rightarrow a_b=a_c.\end{align}$$Did I do it correctly?

Korisnik said:
Hmm, I think I see what you're trying to say: let ##h_i## be height of body ##i## as a function of time, and ##\Delta h## a constant: then ##h_b=h_c+\Delta h##. Differentiating the equation $$\begin{align}\frac{\mathrm d{h_b}}{\mathrm d{t}}&=\frac{\mathrm d}{\mathrm d{t}}(h_c+\Delta h)\\ &\Rightarrow v_b=v_c \\&\Rightarrow a_b=a_c.\end{align}$$Did I do it correctly?
Yes.

Likes Korisnik

What is a free-body diagram?

A free-body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It includes all external forces and their direction, but does not include any internal forces within the object.

What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are a set of three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. The first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How are free-body diagrams and Newton's laws related?

Free-body diagrams are often used to apply Newton's laws of motion to real-world situations. By visually representing the forces acting on an object, one can analyze the forces and apply the appropriate law to determine the motion of the object.

What is the significance of a suspended chain in understanding Newton's laws?

A suspended chain is a common example used to demonstrate the concept of tension and how it relates to Newton's laws of motion. The weight of the chain is evenly distributed throughout the entire length, creating tension forces that can be analyzed using free-body diagrams and Newton's laws.

How can free-body diagrams and Newton's laws be applied in real-world scenarios?

Free-body diagrams and Newton's laws can be applied in a variety of situations, such as calculating the motion of a car on an inclined plane, analyzing the forces acting on a person swinging on a swing, or understanding the flight of a rocket. They are essential tools for engineers and scientists in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.