Which is Better for Measuring Vibrational Systems: Free or Forced Vibration?

• I
  • Thread starter yecko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vibration
In summary: It's always good to provide a summary of the content, even if the content is from 4 years ago. In summary, the problem statement is asking how to measure the natural frequency and damping ratio of a vibration system. There are two ways to do this- free vibration and forced vibration. Forced vibration is easier to be calibrated because it can be sustained, but why free vibrations are sometimes used instead is not explained. The relevant equations are the natural frequency and damping ratio of a vibration system. Free vibrations occur without friction and can be more accurate than forced vibrations because the energy will remain the same. The mathematical analysis yields the desired parameters. There are two ways to measure the natural frequency and damping ratio- with a step response or with a
yecko
Gold Member
Problem Statement: How to measure the natural frequency and damping ratio of a vibration system?
Why are the advantages over one another?
Relevant Equations: natural frequency, damping ratio of a vibration system

I think there are two ways: free & forced vibration.
forced is used because it is easy to be calibrated (?)
but why sometimes free vibration is used instead?
thanks

[Moderator's note: Moved from a homework forum and thus the template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The main difference between free and forced vibrations is that a free vibration occurs without friction; whereas a forced vibration is when a repeated force occurs on a system, a periodic force would have to be applied for a forced vibration to be sustained. Therefore it can be seen that within a free vibration energy will remain the same, where no external force is applied on the system, and thus the results may be more accurate than that when measured with forced vibrations. Hopefully this is of some help to your question.

yecko said:
Problem Statement: How to measure the natural frequency and damping ratio of a vibration system?
Why are the advantages over one another?
Relevant Equations: natural frequency, damping ratio of a vibration system

I think there are two ways: free & forced vibration.
forced is used because it is easy to be calibrated (?)
but why sometimes free vibration is used instead?
Hi,
You want to study the harmonic oscillator (are probably doing that already, right? Very, very important in almost all areas of science and engineering).

The equation describing an unforced one is $${d^2x\over dt^2} +2\zeta\omega_0 {dx\over dt}+\omega_0^2 x=0$$with the righthand zero replaced by some acceleration in the case of forcing -- but even then the solution of the unforced case is relevant.

In many cases a step response is easier to implement and quicker to realize as investigation tool (think process technology, Laplace transform, cybernetics, ...). The mathematical analysis yields the desired parameters.

In other cases a frequency analysis (often with a sinusoidal driving force) can provide those values (and more detailed info); areas like mechanical engineering, electronics, ...

I am unhappy with the classification of @pointlessgomboc (i.e. I think it's wrong...:wink:). See the lemma.

[edit] :DD Haha, the original post is four years old. So this reply is purely for the benefit of pointless...##\ ##

Likes scottdave and pointlessgomboc
I would say the most accurate measurements are possible with applying harmonic forces with different frequencies and measure the amplitude and phase shift of the oscillator relative to these quantities of the applied force in the stationary state, i.e., after the transient part has been damped away. From these two quantities you can calculate ##\omega_0## and ##\zeta##. The derivation of the formulae is a bit lengthy for a newsgroup posting. It can be found in many introductory mechanics textbooks.

Again, post #1 is four years old !

BvU said:
Hi,
You want to study the harmonic oscillator (are probably doing that already, right? Very, very important in almost all areas of science and engineering).

The equation describing an unforced one is $${d^2x\over dt^2} +2\zeta\omega_0 {dx\over dt}+\omega_0^2 x=0$$with the righthand zero replaced by some acceleration in the case of forcing -- but even then the solution of the unforced case is relevant.

In many cases a step response is easier to implement and quicker to realize as investigation tool (think process technology, Laplace transform, cybernetics, ...). The mathematical analysis yields the desired parameters.

In other cases a frequency analysis (often with a sinusoidal driving force) can provide those values (and more detailed info); areas like mechanical engineering, electronics, ...

I am unhappy with the classification of @pointlessgomboc (i.e. I think it's wrong...:wink:). See the lemma.

[edit] :DD Haha, the original post is four years old. So this reply is purely for the benefit of pointless...##\ ##
Hi, I think the question was why free vibrations are sometimes used instead of forced vibrations, not the graphed and calculated oscillations right? Technically, the advantages that led to free vibrations are used sometimes are because that they are a relatively closed system? Sorry I am not very sure of the question and your explanation...

BvU said:
[edit] :DD Haha, the original post is four years old. So this reply is purely for the benefit of pointless...
Several of these old unanswered posts have been revived. I think it has the benefit of if somebody comes upon PhysicsForums via a search engine.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the difference between free and forced vibration?

Free vibration refers to the natural oscillation of a system without any external forces acting on it. On the other hand, forced vibration occurs when a system is subjected to an external force, causing it to vibrate at a frequency different from its natural frequency.

2. How is the frequency of free vibration determined?

The frequency of free vibration is determined by the properties of the system, such as its mass, stiffness, and damping. It is also affected by the initial conditions and any external forces acting on the system.

3. What is resonance in forced vibration?

Resonance in forced vibration occurs when the frequency of the external force matches the natural frequency of the system. This results in a significant increase in the amplitude of vibration, which can potentially damage the system if it is not designed to withstand such levels of vibration.

4. How does damping affect vibration?

Damping is a measure of the energy dissipation in a vibrating system. It reduces the amplitude of vibration over time, resulting in a decrease in the system's natural frequency. Higher levels of damping can also help to reduce the effects of resonance in forced vibration.

5. What are some real-world applications of free and forced vibration?

Free and forced vibration are essential concepts in the design and analysis of structures, such as buildings, bridges, and aircraft. They are also used in the development of musical instruments and in earthquake engineering to understand and mitigate the effects of seismic vibrations.