Free inclined plane and a block sliding on it

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a block sliding down a frictionless inclined plane and whether the reaction forces do work. It is noted that while the reactions do work, they only transfer energy between the block and the plane and do not change the total energy. The solution can be approached through either forces or energy conservation. The conversation also mentions the trickiness of the problem due to the different forces acting on the block and the inclined plane.
xxxyyy
Hi,
I'm missing something really stupid here...
The problem is the usual one with a block sliding down (or moving up, it should be the same) a frictionless inclined plane,which itself is free to move on a orizontal frictionless surface.
These problems are usually solved stating that only gravitation (conservative) does work.
Don't the reactions do work too?
The reaction on the block is orthogonal to the plane, but not orthogonal to the path of the moving block, the inclined plane is moving, so it does work (negative)
The reaction on the inclined plane has a component in the direction of the movement of the plane itself, so it does positive work.
They should cancel, but how to show it? Energy conservation because there's no friction? But if so they should have started from energy conservation, I guess?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
xxxyyy said:
Hi,
The problem is the usual one with a block sliding down (or moving up, it should be the same) a frictionless inclined plane,which itself is free to move on a orizontal frictionless surface.
These problems are usually solved stating that only gravitation (conservative) does work.
The reaction on the block is orthogonal to the plane, but not orthogonal to the path of the moving block, the inclined plane is moving, so it does work (negative)
The reaction on the inclined plane has a component in the direction of the movement of the plane itself, so it does positive work.
They should cancel, but how to show it? Energy conservation because there's no friction? But if so they should have started from energy conservation, I guess?
Thank you!
The tricky thing if you do this using forces is that you have an accelerating reference frame for the larger block.

Am I being naiive here? At the instant of letting go, we have just static forces. Only the horizontal ones create horizontal movement and these are equal to W x cos (slope).
xxxyyy said:
Hi,
Thank you!
As far as I can see, the PE of the block is converted to KE shared betwen the block and the plane. The horizontal forces are equal, and the momentum of the two is equal and opposite, but the energy is shared in the inverse ratio of the masses.

xxxyyy said:

Yes, they do. Gravity does work on the block and the block does work on the plane. However, the work done by the reaction forces is just transfer of energy between block and plane and therefore doesn't change the total energy. That means you can start from energy conservation if you want (but you don't need to).

xxxyyy said:

They should cancel, but how to show it? Energy conservation because there's no friction?
They should cancel, because of energy conservation. You can check it by computing their motion using Newton's Laws and from that the work done on them by the contact forces.

tech99 said:
As far as I can see, the PE of the block is converted to KE shared betwen the block and the plane. The horizontal forces are equal, and the momentum of the two is equal and opposite, but the energy is shared in the inverse ratio of the masses.
The problem is a bit trickier than that because the wedge is subject to three forces (gravity, normal force from the surface underneath, normal force from the block) while the block is subject to only two (gravity, normal force from the block). The wedge and the block aren't moving in opposite directions.

xxxyyy said:
Some texts word this more carefully than others.
Gravity is the only force that does work on the total system composed of the block and the plane. The reaction forces acting between the internal components of the system do work, but this only affects how the energy is distrbuted internally.

Likes PeroK
Nugatory said:
The wedge and the block aren't moving in opposite directions.
Horizontally they are, if the block is sliding down.

Last edited:
A.T. said:
Agree. My apologies, I did not mean to say that!

tech99 said:
Agree. My apologies, I did not mean to say that!
You didn't say that. @Nugatory did. My apologies for misquoting you, fixed now.

A.T. said:
Yes, so we can use conservation of momentum to relate the horizontal components of the respective velocities to the ratio of the masses, but the block has a non-zero vertical velocity component as well so the energies aren’t related by the same ratio.

Likes A.T.
The momentums are equal but the energies are not. This is because Kinetic Energy is dependent on velocity squared, so a large mass moving slower will have less energy than a small mass moving faster, assuming the same momentum.
It seems to me that the horizontal forces created by the block in contact with the ramp do not fluctuate as the block accelerates, but remain constant. These forces are less than the weight of the block, due to the angle of the ramp. In addition, there are vertical forces at work but these do not alter the result for horizontal motion. The block has kinetic energy due to its vertical motion when it reaches the bottom of the ramp, and this together with the kinetic energy given to the block and ramp in horizontal directions will equal the total PE of the block at the moment of release.

tech99 said:
The momentums are equal but the energies are not. This is because Kinetic Energy is dependent on velocity squared, so a large mass moving slower will have less energy than a small mass moving faster, assuming the same momentum.
That's not the point @Nugatory is making. The point is that unlike in a 1D case, the KE of the block depends on its vertical velocity too.

You have 3 velocity componnets:

VBx : horizontal block velocity
VBy : vertical block velocity
VRx : horizontal ramp velocity

The are related by 3 equations:

VBx & VRx: horizontal momentum conservation
VBx & VBy & VRx: in the frame of the ramp the block moves parallel to the incline
VBx & VBy & VRx: energy conservation

tech99 said:
It seems to me that the horizontal forces created by the block in contact with the ramp do not fluctuate as the block accelerates, but remain constant.
What are you basing this assumption on?

Maybe easier to just use variational principles. Let ##q_1## be the distance of the block from the bottom corner of the wedge of internal angle ##\alpha##, and ##q_2## the distance moved by the corner of the wedge from initial point ##\mathcal{O}##. You have for the block$$v^2 = (\dot{q}_1 \cos{\alpha} + \dot{q}_2 )^2 + (\dot{q}_1 \sin{\alpha})^2 = {\dot{q}_1}^2 + {\dot{q}_2}^2 + 2\dot{q}_1 \dot{q}_2 \cos{\alpha}$$Then for the system with these coordinates ##q = (q_1, q_2)##$$\mathcal{L}(q, \dot{q}) \equiv \frac{1}{2} m ({\dot{q}_1}^2 + {\dot{q}_2}^2 + 2\dot{q}_1 \dot{q}_2 \cos{\alpha}) + \frac{1}{2} M {\dot{q}_2}^2 - mgq_1 \sin{\alpha}$$Now you obtain two coupled second order differential equations. Also note that ##q_2## is an ignorable coordinate, which in this case corresponds to the conservation of the projection of the momentum onto a horizontal basis vector, ##m\ddot{q}_2 + m\ddot{q}_1 \cos{\alpha} + M\ddot{q}_2 = 0##.

1. What is a free inclined plane?

A free inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is slanted at an angle. It is used to reduce the amount of force needed to move an object up or down the plane.

2. How does a block slide on a free inclined plane?

A block sliding on a free inclined plane is subject to the force of gravity, which pulls it down the plane. The angle of the plane determines the amount of force needed to move the block and the direction of its motion.

3. What factors affect the motion of a block on a free inclined plane?

The motion of a block on a free inclined plane is affected by several factors, including the angle of the plane, the mass of the block, and the force of gravity. Friction between the block and the plane also plays a role in the motion.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the force needed to move the block?

The steeper the angle of the inclined plane, the more force is needed to move the block. This is because the steeper angle increases the component of the force of gravity that acts down the plane, making it harder to overcome.

5. What is the relationship between the height and length of the inclined plane?

The height and length of the inclined plane are directly proportional. This means that as the height of the plane increases, the length also increases in order to maintain the same angle. This relationship is important in determining the mechanical advantage of the inclined plane.