Block and pulley on movable incline

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations needed to solve for the acceleration of a string on an inclined plane. The speaker mentions that they were able to derive the force equations, but were unable to solve them to find the answer. They also mention the effect of tension on the pulley and the acceleration of the string in both the ground frame and the inclined frame. The speaker also questions if their force equations are correct and discusses the need for careful force balance in the problem.
Aurelius120
Homework Statement
In the given figure if acceleration of Mass M with respect to ground is a then, find the acceleration of mass, m with respect to incline and with respect to the ground in terms of 'a'
Relevant Equations
T - Tcosα + Nsinα = Ma
mgsinα - T = ma
N = mgcosα
This was the question:
20230511_033251.jpg

I derived the equations as mentioned in the relevant equations.

But I could not solve the equations to find the answer. I realise with respect to inclined plane the acceleration must be a since string cannot slack. With respect to ground, the acceleration of incline is added.

However, I could solve the force equations to get required acceleration. Other answers seem to ignore the effect of tension on the pulley due to pulley and use the former method.

What is the acceleration of the string in the ground frame? In the frame of the incline the acceleration on either side of pulley is equal and string does not slack.

In the ground frame, the string on the side of the block will get an horizontal component of acceleration but the fixed end of the string will have same acceleration. This implies the string should slack which it does not. So where is my mistake?
How do I solve the problems using the force equations I derived?
Are my force equations correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
##N## doesn't equal ##mg\cos \alpha##, the wedge has a component of its acceleration opposite the direction of the normal force acting on the hanging mass. Imagine the wedge to be moving away (effectively falling out from underneath it) from the hanging mass. Likewise, I suspect you must also be more careful in your force balance on the hanging mass parallel to the slope. If you were on the ground you would see the hanging mass accelerating down the slope, and with the wedge.

A couple FBD's a preferable here to just writing down some equations

Last edited:
Aurelius120 said:
mgsinα - T = ma
The acceleration of the wedge has a component parallel to the slope. The sum of the real forces on the block parallel to the slope gives the acceleration of the block parallel to the slope in the ground frame, not in the wedge frame.
If you want to use the wedge frame you must add the inertial "virtual" force.

1. How does a block and pulley on a movable incline work?

A block and pulley on a movable incline is a simple machine that uses a combination of a pulley and an inclined plane to reduce the amount of force needed to lift an object. The pulley redirects the force needed to lift the object to a downward direction, while the incline reduces the amount of force needed to overcome the weight of the object. This allows for easier lifting of heavy objects.

2. What are the components of a block and pulley on a movable incline?

The main components of a block and pulley on a movable incline are the pulley, the inclined plane, and the object being lifted. The pulley is a wheel with a groove that allows a rope or cable to pass through and change the direction of the force applied. The inclined plane is a flat surface that is angled, allowing for the object to be lifted with less force. The object being lifted is attached to one end of the rope or cable and is pulled up by the force applied to the other end.

3. What is the advantage of using a block and pulley on a movable incline?

The main advantage of using a block and pulley on a movable incline is that it reduces the amount of force needed to lift an object. This makes it easier for humans to lift heavy objects, as well as allowing for the use of smaller and more lightweight machines to lift heavy loads. It also allows for the lifting of objects to higher heights than would be possible with just an inclined plane or pulley alone.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the lifting force in a block and pulley on a movable incline?

The angle of the incline affects the lifting force in a block and pulley on a movable incline by changing the amount of force needed to overcome the weight of the object being lifted. A steeper incline requires less force to lift the object, while a shallower incline requires more force. However, a steeper incline also means the object will be lifted to a lower height, while a shallower incline allows for the object to be lifted to a higher height.

5. What are some common uses for a block and pulley on a movable incline?

A block and pulley on a movable incline can be used in a variety of applications, such as in construction, transportation, and manufacturing. It is commonly used to lift heavy objects, such as building materials, machinery, and vehicles. It is also used in cranes, elevators, and other lifting devices. Additionally, it can be used to create a mechanical advantage in various tasks, such as moving furniture or lifting weights in a gym.