Free Modules - Another issue regarding Bland Proposition 2.2.4

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary, Bland's proof of Corollary 2.2.4 shows that if $f: R^{(\Delta)} \rightarrow F$ is an isomorphism and $f(e_\alpha)=x_\alpha$, then $\{x_\alpha\}_{\Delta}$ is a basis for $F$.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 2.2 on free modules and need help with the proof of Corollary 2.2.4 - that is some further help ... (for my first problem with the proof see my post "http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/free-modules-bland-corollary-2-2-4-issue-regarding-finite-generation-modules-13196.html" )Corollary 2.2.4 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 3538
View attachment 3539The last sentence in Bland's proof reads as follows:

" ... ... If \(\displaystyle f \ : \ R^{ ( \Delta ) } \ \rightarrow \ F \) is an isomorphism and \(\displaystyle f ( e_\alpha) = x_\alpha\) then it follows that \(\displaystyle \{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta\) is a basis for \(\displaystyle F\). ... ... "Although the above statement seems plausible I am unable to frame a formal and rigorous proof of the statement ...

Can someone please show me exactly why
\(\displaystyle f \ : \ R^{ ( \Delta ) } \ \rightarrow \ F \) is an isomorphism and \(\displaystyle f ( e_\alpha) = x_\alpha\) implies that \(\displaystyle \{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta\) is a basis for \(\displaystyle F\)?

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book, "Rings and Their Modules".

I am trying to understand Section 2.2 on free modules and need help with the proof of Corollary 2.2.4 - that is some further help ... (for my first problem with the proof see my post "http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/free-modules-bland-corollary-2-2-4-issue-regarding-finite-generation-modules-13196.html" )Corollary 2.2.4 and its proof read as follows:View attachment 3538
View attachment 3539The last sentence in Bland's proof reads as follows:

" ... ... If \(\displaystyle f \ : \ R^{ ( \Delta ) } \ \rightarrow \ F \) is an isomorphism and \(\displaystyle f ( e_\alpha) = x_\alpha\) then it follows that \(\displaystyle \{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta\) is a basis for \(\displaystyle F\). ... ... "Although the above statement seems plausible I am unable to frame a formal and rigorous proof of the statement ...

Can someone please show me exactly why
\(\displaystyle f \ : \ R^{ ( \Delta ) } \ \rightarrow \ F \) is an isomorphism and \(\displaystyle f ( e_\alpha) = x_\alpha\) implies that \(\displaystyle \{ x_\alpha \}_\Delta\) is a basis for \(\displaystyle F\)?

Help will be appreciated ...

Peter
First we verify that $\{x_\alpha\}_{\Delta}$ generates $F$.
Let $m\in F$. Note that $f$ is surjective.
Therefore $f(r)=m$ for some $r\in R^{\delta}$.
Now $r=\sum_{\alpha\in \Delta} r_\alpha e_\alpha$ for some $r\alpha\in R$ (where almost all of $r_\alpha$'s are $0$).
Thus, $f(r)=\sum_{\alpha\in \Delta}r_\alpha f(e_\alpha)=\sum_{\alpha \in \Delta} r_\alpha x_\alpha$.

Thus $\{x_\alpha\}_{\alpha\in \Delta}$ generates $F$.

Now we need to verify that each element of $F$ can be expressed uniquely as an $R$-linear combination of $x_\alpha$'s.

Say $\sum_{\alpha\in \Delta} r_\alpha x_\alpha=0$.
Then $\sum_{\alpha\in \Delta}r_\alpha f(e_\alpha)=0$.
Therefore $f(\sum_{\alpha\in \Delta} r_\alpha e_\alpha) =0$.
Which gives $\sum_{\alpha\in \Delta} r_\alpha e_\alpha=0$.
This leads to $r_\alpha=0$ for all $\alpha\in \Delta$.

Hence we are done.

1. What is Proposition 2.2.4 in the context of free modules?

Proposition 2.2.4 is a mathematical proposition in the field of abstract algebra that deals with the structure of free modules. It states that if a set of elements generates a free module, then any other set of elements containing the first set must also generate the module. This is an important result in understanding the properties of free modules.

2. How does Proposition 2.2.4 relate to Bland's Lemma?

Bland's Lemma is a result in linear algebra that is closely related to Proposition 2.2.4. It states that if a set of vectors forms a basis for a vector space, then any other set of vectors containing the first set must also form a basis for the space. This is similar to Proposition 2.2.4, which deals with the structure of free modules instead of vector spaces.

3. What is the significance of Bland Proposition 2.2.4 in mathematics?

Bland Proposition 2.2.4 has significant applications in various branches of mathematics, including linear algebra, abstract algebra, and ring theory. It provides a fundamental understanding of the structure and properties of free modules, which are essential objects in these fields of study.

4. Can you provide an example of Bland Proposition 2.2.4 in action?

Yes, consider the set of vectors {(1,0,0), (0,1,0)} in R^3. This set generates a free module, and according to Proposition 2.2.4, any other set containing these two vectors, such as {(1,0,0), (0,1,0), (1,1,0)}, must also generate the module.

5. Are there any other propositions or lemmas related to Bland Proposition 2.2.4?

Yes, there are several other results that are related to Bland Proposition 2.2.4, such as the Exchange Lemma and the Steinitz Exchange Lemma. These results all deal with the structure and generation of free modules and have important applications in algebraic structures and linear algebra.