Free online course in Algebraic Geometry by Ravi Vakil

In summary, Ravi Vakil is offering an online course in Algebraic Geometry over the summer due to COVID-19, based on his Foundations of Algebraic Geometry notes for Math 216 at Stanford. This course is free and will provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the subject, which has applications in various areas of mathematics and science. Vakil's efforts to make this course available to a wider audience is a great example of the potential of online education and I encourage others to take advantage of this opportunity.
MountEvariste
Ravi Vakil is teaching an online course in Algebraic Geometry over the summer due to COVID-19 for free.

It's based on his Foundations of Algebraic Geometry notes (for Math 216 at Stanford). It's starting soon. https://math216.wordpress.com/

Mathematics news on Phys.org

As a fellow scientist, I am excited to hear about Ravi Vakil's online course in Algebraic Geometry over the summer. It's great to see educators adapting and offering free resources during these challenging times of COVID-19. I am familiar with Vakil's Foundations of Algebraic Geometry notes and I believe they will provide a comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the subject.

Algebraic Geometry is a fascinating field that has applications in various areas of mathematics and science. It's also a challenging subject, so having access to a free online course taught by a renowned mathematician like Vakil is a fantastic opportunity. I am sure many students and researchers will benefit from this course.

I appreciate Vakil's efforts in making this course available to a wider audience and I am looking forward to learning from his expertise. This is a great example of how online education can bridge the gap and provide access to quality education for everyone. I hope this trend continues even after the pandemic is over.

Thank you for sharing this information and I will definitely be checking out the course. I encourage others to do the same and take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to learn from one of the best in the field.

1. What is Algebraic Geometry?

Algebraic Geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of solutions to polynomial equations in several variables. It combines techniques from algebra and geometry to understand the geometric objects defined by these equations.

2. Who is Ravi Vakil?

Ravi Vakil is a professor of mathematics at Stanford University. He is known for his research in algebraic geometry and has won several prestigious awards for his work. He is also an excellent teacher and has developed a popular online course on Algebraic Geometry.

3. What topics will be covered in the course?

The course will cover a wide range of topics in Algebraic Geometry, including varieties, sheaves, schemes, and cohomology. It will also cover more advanced topics such as intersection theory and the Riemann-Roch theorem.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to take this course?

Yes, this course is designed for students with a strong background in mathematics, particularly in abstract algebra and topology. It is recommended that students have taken courses in linear algebra and algebraic topology before enrolling in this course.

5. Is the course completely free?

Yes, the course is completely free and can be accessed online through the course website. However, students who wish to receive a certificate of completion will need to pay a fee. All course materials, including lecture videos, notes, and exercises, are available for free.