Universities to recommend for online math/physics courses?

In summary, people are still taking courses through Coursera, but there are other options available as well.
UsableThought
I posted about a question about whether Coursera is still a good option for online courses, in the wake of their having downgraded their platform; but haven't gotten any replies: Teaching quality of Coursera math courses after platform re-design?

So here is a larger question that might succeed better: Could we maybe create a stickie with recommendations either for particular online courses of high quality, and/or universities or independent platforms that sponsor high-quaulity courses? I'm interested in math but recommendations for physics, chem, and EE courses would also be welcomed.

Stanford still has some independently run courses, apparently, e.g. there is Lagunita, which offers what looks like about 50 online courses at present, all running on the Open edX platform; putting aside humanities courses, the science courses look to be in medical/biological, computer science, logic & language, and statistics. Duke has Duke Extend which looks pretty sparse at the moment, with only a handful of courses, including one in astronomy and one on Linux.

I haven't gotten farther than that but will probably be doing some more exploring in the future. At any rate I think listings of quality online courses, instructors, and programs/schools might be a useful resource if there is enough knowledge that such a stickie thread could be created. It would get dated; but hopefully the recommendations would be general enough to help people look in the right places.

Physics news on Phys.org
UsableThought said:
So here is a larger question that might succeed better: Could we maybe create a stickie with recommendations either for particular online courses of high quality, and/or universities or independent platforms that sponsor high-quaulity courses? I'm interested in math but recommendations for physics, chem, and EE courses would also be welcomed.
Hi UsableThought:

Ed X is a consortium of universities. Their main website page is
Near the bottom of this page is a "FIND COURSES" button.

Here are links for math and physics.

Hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Buzz

Likes UsableThought
Buzz Bloom said:
Near the bottom of this page is a "FIND COURSES" button.

Thanks. I am also hoping that people will be able to recommend specific teachers or specific courses; as well as universities/institutions that are known for developing good courses. Search is helpful; so are recommendations.

I know that here & there in specific threads on this forum, people have made these sorts of recommendations; however it's not so easy to search the archives of this forum to pull those recommendations up, as the descriptive words & thus the search terms are likely to vary quite a bit.

I have been impressed by the following three courses offered by the Moscow Higher School of Economics via Coursera:
- Introduction into General Theory of Relativity https://www.coursera.org/learn/general-relativity/home/welcome
- Jacobi modular forms https://www.coursera.org/learn/modular-forms-jacobi
- Introduction to Galois Theory https://www.coursera.org/learn/galois (the quality of lectures is not as good as in the other courses)

This gem of a course - Effective Field Theory by Prof. Iain Stewart from MIT https://courses.edx.org/courses/MITx/8.EFTx/3T2014/info - has just started its second presentation on EdX. It does not run regularly.

Likes UsableThought
Students I mentor have had uniformly positive experiences with Coursera, including Calculus One (Ohio St), Astrophysics (Duke), and Python (Rice).

Likes UsableThought

1. What are the top universities for online math/physics courses?

There are many top universities that offer online math/physics courses, but some of the most highly ranked include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, University of California-Berkeley, and University of Michigan-Ann Arbor. Each of these universities have highly respected math/physics programs and offer a wide range of online courses.

2. Are online math/physics courses from universities as rigorous as in-person courses?

Yes, online math/physics courses from universities are just as rigorous as in-person courses. The same curriculum and high-quality instruction is offered, and students are held to the same standards as their in-person counterparts. However, online courses may require students to be self-motivated and organized to keep up with coursework.

3. Can I earn a degree in math/physics completely online?

Yes, there are many universities that offer fully online degree programs in math/physics. However, some programs may require students to attend in-person labs or exams on campus. It is important to carefully research the requirements of each program before enrolling.

4. How do I know if the online math/physics courses from a university are accredited?

You can check the accreditation of a university by visiting the website of the accrediting agency in your country. In the United States, the Department of Education maintains a database of accredited institutions. Additionally, most universities will list their accreditation information on their website.

5. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in online math/physics courses from a university?

Most universities will require students to have a strong foundation in math and physics before enrolling in online courses. This may include completing prerequisites or demonstrating proficiency through placement exams. It is important to check the requirements of each course before enrolling.