Free Simulator Software for Vacuum Field BVPs | Tom

In summary, the speaker is looking for free software that can simulate the vacuum field equations while solving a full boundary value problem instead of just the initial value problem. They are unsure if the Einstein Toolkit or GRCombo can do this. Another speaker suggests that specifying all boundary conditions on all extremes may not be consistent and that it could lead to over-constraining the equations. The speaker is interested in finding a solver that can solve the boundary value problem for the whole 3+1 block.
TGlad
Hi, I am interested in simulating the vacuum field equations, but solving a full boundary value problem rather than the initial value problem. i.e. I might have boundary conditions in all spatial and temporal extents/extremes, rather than just an initial 3D surface.

Does anyone know any free software that could perform such a simulation? I have started looking at the Einstein Toolkit docs and it doesn't really look like it does this, and I don't have much info on GRCombo.

many thanks,

Tom.

Physics news on Phys.org
TGlad said:
I might have boundary conditions in all spatial and temporal extents/extremes, rather than just an initial 3D surface.
Well, I have no experience with numerical relativity, however, specifying all boundary conditions on all extremes need not be consistent, right? Doesn't sound like a well posed problem numerical issues aside.

It seems quite likely I would be over-constraining the vacuum equations, in which case I would need to provide fewer constraints, or allow for the solution closest to a vacuum rather than pure vacuum. But basically I'm after a solver that doesn't solve the usual initial value problem forward in time, but instead solves a boundary value problem for the whole 3+1 block.
It is totally OK if no-one has any recommendations, that is in itself helpful information.

TGlad said:
It seems quite likely I would be over-constraining the vacuum equations, in which case I would need to provide fewer constraints

TGlad said:
I'm after a solver that doesn't solve the usual initial value problem forward in time, but instead solves a boundary value problem for the whole 3+1 block.

The point that @Paul Colby was suggesting (which I think is valid) is that any attempt to go beyond providing initial value conditions will be over-constraining the equations. Knowing the initial values is already sufficient to constrain the boundary value problem for the whole 3+1 block.

1. What is a vacuum field BVP?

A vacuum field BVP (Boundary Value Problem) is a mathematical model used to simulate the behavior of a vacuum field, which is a region of space with no matter or particles. This type of model is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the properties and effects of a vacuum environment.

2. Why is free simulator software for vacuum field BVPs important?

Free simulator software for vacuum field BVPs allows scientists and researchers to easily and accurately simulate and analyze the behavior of vacuum fields without the need for expensive or complex software. This makes it easier for them to study and understand the properties of vacuum environments.

3. What features should I look for in a free simulator software for vacuum field BVPs?

Some important features to look for in a free simulator software for vacuum field BVPs include user-friendly interface, accurate and reliable calculations, customizable simulation parameters, and the ability to visualize and analyze data. Additionally, it should have the capability to handle different types of boundary conditions and support different numerical methods for solving BVPs.

4. Is Tom's free simulator software for vacuum field BVPs suitable for beginners?

Yes, Tom's free simulator software for vacuum field BVPs is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use for beginners. It provides step-by-step instructions and tutorials to help users learn how to use the software and understand the results.

5. Can I use Tom's free simulator software for vacuum field BVPs for my research or academic projects?

Yes, Tom's free simulator software for vacuum field BVPs can be used for both research and academic projects. It is a reliable and accurate tool for simulating vacuum fields and can be used by students, scientists, and researchers in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.