Freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field

In summary, the problem statement involves using Newtonian Mechanics in a geocentric frame of reference to describe the motion of an object released into the Earth's gravitational field at a certain altitude with no initial velocity. The question is how to find the function that associates position to any instant of free fall, considering the given acceleration function. The relevant equations are provided and the attempted solution involves solving a differential equation. After receiving a hint and making progress towards the solution, the final equation is an implicit function of time, which is common in many motion problems. Engineers often use computational methods to predict complex motion described by differential equations.
Medd
1) The problem statement :

For this problem, We use Newtonian Mechanics. We are placed in a geocentric frame of reference. An object (of which the mass is irrelevant for this problem) is released into the Earth's gravitational field at an altitude p(0) with no velocity whatsoever.
The question is how do you describe the motion of this object ? In other words, how to find the function p(t) which associates position p to any instant t of the free fall considering that the acceleration is given as a function of position a(p) = (G*M)/(p^2) where G is the gravitational constant and M the mass of the earth.

2) Relevant equations :

a(p) = (G*M)/(p^2)

3) Attempted solution :

I realized i was confronted with a differential equation and that its solution would be the function I'm looking for. However, I'm new to differential equations and I could only go this far :

a(p) = (G*M)/(p^2) means that p''(t) = (G*M)/(p(t))^2

So I would have to solve this :

y'' = k/(y)^2 ( with k = G*M )

This where I need your help.

Many thanks for considering my request.

Physics news on Phys.org
a = dv/dt.

Hint: What happens when i multiply the RHS numerator and denominator by dx.

Integration difficulties

Hi !

Thanks to your hint, I was able to make some good progress towards the solution of my differential equation.

If we assume an initial height "h" (y(0) = h) , and a initial speed of zero (v = dy/dt (0) = 0), we can start solving it :

[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/itex]

We then apply the chain rule as you suggested in order to get :

[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex] * v

[itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex] * v = [itex]\frac{- k}{y^{2}}[/itex]

We integrate both sides with respect to dy, and get :

∫ [itex]\frac{dv}{dy}[/itex] * v dy = ∫ [itex]\frac{- k}{y^{2}}[/itex] dy

So :

[itex]\frac{v^{2}}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{k}{y}[/itex] + C (C is a constant).

Which means that :

v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2k}{y} + 2C}[/itex]

We know that v(0) = 0 and y(0) = h, so we can write :

0 = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2k}{h} + 2C}[/itex]

Which gives us C = - [itex]\frac{k}{h}[/itex]

Thus, we get :

v = [itex]\sqrt{2k}[/itex] * [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{y} - \frac{k}{h}}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{2k}[/itex] * [itex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{y} - \frac{k}{h}}[/itex]

We rearrange the above equation to get :

[itex]\frac{dy}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{y} - \frac{k}{h}}}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{2k}[/itex] dt

We integrate both sides :

∫ [itex]\frac{dy}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{y} - \frac{k}{h}}}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{2k}[/itex] * ∫ dt

∫ [itex]\frac{dy}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{y} - \frac{k}{h}}}[/itex] = [itex]\sqrt{2k}[/itex] * ( t + C' )

C' is a constant.

So solving the problem comes down to being able to integrate the LHS and then writing y as a function of t. I am not able to do that. I used Wolfram and got a function that gives a complex output, I don't know how to interpret that or use it in my equation.
The link to the Wolfram integration I did : http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=1%2FSqrt[1%2Fx+-+k%2Fh]&random=false

Thank you.

Medd said:
So :

[itex]\frac{v^{2}}{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{k}{y}[/itex] + C (C is a constant).

Which means that :

v = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2k}{y} + 2C}[/itex]

By taking the square root, you are implicitly assuming velocity is positive.

The object is released at time t=0 with zero velocity. It falls downward. Since positive y is upward, the velocity will be negative up to the point where the object impacts the Earth.

You should be using the additive inverse, [itex]v=-\sqrt{2k/y + 2C}[/itex].

Oops ! My bad. Thanks for spotting that !

So that gives us :

∫ [itex]\frac{dy}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{y} - \frac{1}{h}}}[/itex] = - [itex]\sqrt{2k}[/itex] * (t + C')

And I have the LHS integration problem again.

Try ## \cos u = \sqrt {y/h} ##.

And try solving for t as a function of y rather than y as a function of t.

Equation

So I finally came up with this, pfew :smile: :

[itex] t = \frac{\sqrt{h^{3}}(arccos\sqrt{\frac{y}{h}} + \sqrt{\frac{y}{h} - \frac{y^{2}}{h^{2}}} ) }{\sqrt{2k}}[/itex]

This is good but isn't the whole point of studying motion to be able to write the position as a function of time ?

Being able to find an explicit formula for position as a function of time is an exception rather than the rule. In most cases, you cannot even solve the differential equation in any way.

In this case, the position is an implicit function of time, which still much better than the differential equation you started from. You can plot the function.

You could simplify your equation somewhat by defining ## x = ct, \ z = y/h ##, and the plot of x(z) will work for any such problem, it just needs scaling.

Medd said:
This is good but isn't the whole point of studying motion to be able to write the position as a function of time ?
That's a transcendental equation. You aren't going to be able to find the inverse of that equation, one that gives position as a function of time, in the elementary functions.

Many thanks !

Okay !

Thank you very much for all the help ! :biggrin:

I hope I'm not getting too off topic here but, since in most cases you can't even solve the equation (this is news for me, I'm shocked), what would an engineer do to predict complicated motion described by complicated DEs ? (Computational methods, which are only approximations of reality ?)

Again, thank you so much, I've been stuck with this problem for longer than I can confess. :wink:

Medd said:
I hope I'm not getting too off topic here but, since in most cases you can't even solve the equation (this is news for me, I'm shocked), what would an engineer do to predict complicated motion described by complicated DEs ? (Computational methods, which are only approximations of reality ?)

This is the reality of engineering. This is why we invented computers to begin with.

1. What is freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field?

Freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field is the motion of an object under the influence of gravity alone, with no other forces acting on it. This occurs when an object is dropped from a height or thrown into the air. In this situation, the only force acting on the object is gravity, which causes the object to accelerate towards the ground at a constant rate.

2. What is the acceleration of freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field?

The acceleration of freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means that for every second an object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 m/s. This value is also known as the acceleration due to gravity or g.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field?

The mass of an object does not affect its freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field. This is due to the fact that in Newton's law of gravitation, the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of the object. Therefore, as the mass of an object increases, the force of gravity acting on it also increases, resulting in the same acceleration of freefall.

4. Does the distance from the center of the Earth affect freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field?

Yes, the distance from the center of the Earth does affect freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field. This is because the force of gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. As an object falls towards the Earth, it gets closer to the center of the Earth, resulting in a stronger gravitational force and a faster acceleration of freefall.

5. How does air resistance affect freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect freefall in a Newtonian gravitational field by slowing down the acceleration of an object. As an object falls through the air, it experiences an opposing force from air molecules, which can reduce its acceleration and speed. This is why objects with a larger surface area, such as a feather, tend to fall slower than objects with a smaller surface area, such as a book.