Frequency of an Accelerating Pendulum

In summary, the discussion is about a simple pendulum with a bob at the end of a cord of length l, making an angle \theta with the line through the point of equilibrium. When the bob accelerates at 1/2 g upward, the net force tangent to its motion is \frac{1}{2} mg \theta, which is not similar to Hooke's law and thus the pendulum does not have a frequency. However, for (b), when the bob accelerates downward, the restoring force becomes \frac{3}{2} mg \sin\theta, which is equivalent to an effective acceleration of 3g/2. This means that the pendulum has the same frequency in both cases, despite
e(ho0n3
Problem. A simple pendulum oscillates with frequency [itex]f[/itex]. What is the frequency if it accelerates at [itex]1/2 g[/itex] (a) upward, and (b) downward?

Let [itex]m[/itex] be the mass of the bob at the end of the cord of length [itex]l[/itex] that is making an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the line through the point of equilibrium.

Given (a), the total net force on the bob in the vertical direction is [itex]\frac{1}{2} mg[/itex] and the component of this net force tanget to the motion of the bob is [itex]\frac{1}{2} mg \sin \theta[/itex] which is roughly [itex]\frac{1}{2} mg \theta[/itex] for small [itex]\theta[/itex]. As far is I can tell, this component is the net force tangent to the motion of the bob and since it isn't akin to Hooke's law, the pendulum is not undergoing simple harmonic motion so it has no frequency. Somehow, I feel that my analysis is wrong here. Did I overlook something?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are equations we use for simple pendulums basically undergoing SHM for small values of theta. Here the pendulum can be said to obey Hookes law because the restoring force is proportional to theta

turdferguson said:
There are equations we use for simple pendulums basically undergoing SHM for small values of theta. Here the pendulum can be said to obey Hookes law because the restoring force is proportional to theta
Yes, but apart from that, the restoring force must be negative which in this case, is not. For (b), however, it is.

I was thinking: for any point in time in which the bob is accelerating upward, there exists a point in time where it is accelerating at the same rate downward. This means the pendulum bob in (a) is the same one as in (b), just at two different points in time. Hence, in both cases, the pendulum has the same frequency right?

Viewed from the noninertial frame of the elevator, the pendulum bob has an additional force on it equal to [itex]\frac{1}{2} mg[/itex] downward. This adds to the restoring force, making it [itex]\frac{3}{2} mg \sin\theta[/itex] instead of [itex]mg \sin\theta[/itex].

Another way to view it (equivalent to the above) is that the effective acceleration due to gravity in the elevator is 3g/2.

Doc Al said:
Viewed from the noninertial frame of the elevator, the pendulum bob has an additional force on it equal to [itex]\frac{1}{2} mg[/itex] downward. This adds to the restoring force, making it [itex]\frac{3}{2} mg \sin\theta[/itex] instead of [itex]mg \sin\theta[/itex].

Another way to view it (equivalent to the above) is that the effective acceleration due to gravity in the elevator is 3g/2.

I see. So the problem states that the whole pendulum is moving at 1/2 g upward or downward. I was under the impression that only the pendulum bob is moving at 1/2 g upward or downward. I should have know better.

Related to Frequency of an Accelerating Pendulum

1. What is the frequency of an accelerating pendulum?

The frequency of an accelerating pendulum is the number of complete oscillations it makes in a given time period, typically measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How is the frequency of an accelerating pendulum calculated?

The frequency of an accelerating pendulum can be calculated using the formula: f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period of the pendulum (the time it takes to complete one oscillation).

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect its frequency?

The length of the pendulum has a direct effect on its frequency. The longer the pendulum, the slower its frequency will be, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the "pendulum length effect."

4. What factors can affect the frequency of an accelerating pendulum?

The frequency of an accelerating pendulum can be affected by several factors, including the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the acceleration due to gravity. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in altering the pendulum's frequency.

5. How can the frequency of an accelerating pendulum be changed?

The frequency of an accelerating pendulum can be changed by altering its length, mass, or acceleration due to gravity. For example, increasing the length of the pendulum or decreasing the acceleration due to gravity will result in a slower frequency. Additionally, changing the angle of release or adding weight to the pendulum bob can also affect its frequency.