Fresh air (vacuum) as media for electromagnetics, can it have losses?

In summary, there is a debate about the possibility of losses in a vacuum for electromagnetic plane waves. Some sources suggest that it is possible due to the presence of free charges, while others argue that a perfect vacuum should not have any losses. Further research and clarification are needed to fully understand this concept.
Fernandopozasaura
Recently I saw an exercise on electromagnetics (plane waves) in which it was said that a plane wave was traveling through vacuum (ε0 and μ0) BUT with losses, i.e, σ ≠0.
Is that possible?
I think I have read in the past that it's OK in some texbook, but now, I have searched for it in a couple of physics texts without success.
As far as I've learned in my search, σ (conductivity) is due to free charges in volume where you want to get wave electric (or magnetic) field, so in vacuum (or fresh air, which is not exactly vacuum but that is another issue) as long as there is no material, no free charges will exist, so, σ = 0.
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fernandopozasaura said:
Summary:: losses in vacuum for electromagnetic `plane waves. Is that possible?

Recently I saw an exercise
Can you please provide an exact reference?

Well, I saw it in an exame someone showed to me. I'm sorry I don't have more details.

There isn’t much we can do then. We can’t tell if you are misremembering the main point or if you forgot some important subtle point. Sorry.

Classically free space is not a lossy medium. That is about all that we can say generally without any specific details.

OK, I understand.
As you, my first answer was what you said: free space is not lossy. But somehow I remembered have read something different, that's why I asked. I hoped someone could eliminate other possibility.
Anyway, thank you very much for your help, Dale.

Likes berkeman
I suspect that this has more to do with semantics; the definition of a vacuum. As a thought experiment, there just can't be any losses in a perfect vacuum everywhere the EM field is (i.e. everywhere). That does raise the question how did the EM radiation arise in a universe with nothing in it.

Well, obviously there is something in the universe. An we can't observe the vacuum, because to observe something we need to bring a measurement device in it, and then it's no longer a vacuum. A single photon in an otherwise empty universe is stable, i.e., the vacuum is not lossy at all in standard quantum field theory.

1. Can fresh air (vacuum) be used as a medium for electromagnetics?

Yes, fresh air or vacuum can be used as a medium for electromagnetics. In fact, it is one of the most commonly used media for electromagnetic waves.

2. Is there any loss of energy when using fresh air (vacuum) as a medium for electromagnetics?

No, there is no loss of energy when using fresh air or vacuum as a medium for electromagnetics. This is because there are no particles present in the medium that can absorb or scatter the electromagnetic waves.

3. How does the absence of particles in fresh air (vacuum) affect the propagation of electromagnetic waves?

The absence of particles in fresh air or vacuum allows electromagnetic waves to travel at their maximum speed, which is the speed of light. This results in minimal distortion or attenuation of the waves, making it an ideal medium for long-distance communication.

4. Can fresh air (vacuum) be used for all types of electromagnetic waves?

Yes, fresh air or vacuum can be used for all types of electromagnetic waves, including radio waves, microwaves, infrared, visible light, ultraviolet, X-rays, and gamma rays. This is because all electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum without any loss of energy.

5. Are there any practical applications of using fresh air (vacuum) as a medium for electromagnetics?

Yes, there are several practical applications of using fresh air or vacuum as a medium for electromagnetics. Some examples include satellite communication, wireless communication, medical imaging, and particle accelerators. Additionally, vacuum technology is also used in various industrial and scientific processes, such as vacuum deposition and vacuum drying.