Fresnel Diffraction - Opaque Barrier Question

In summary, the author is trying to create a model that is similar to the Fresnel Diffraction by an opaque barrier, but he is having trouble because he does not have proper papers on the subject. He is asking for help from the forum, but because he is not providing proper information, the thread is closed.
frederico
Hello!

I'm very interested in knowing your opinion on how close my model is to the Fresnel Diffraction by an opaque barrier, as seen here:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/difopa.html#c1

obar2.png

My model:
artflow_201812281908.png

Sorry for the low quality image.

Attachments

• obar2.png
    obar2.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 708
  • artflow_201812281908.png
    artflow_201812281908.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 620
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
How did you compute the diffraction?
If I told you, you'd just call me insane. I'd rather focus on how close I am to the real thing. I really do need outside help at this point as I've become too obsessed that my results are correct and the implications are a bit too much for me to handle alone.

Visually, does it have a resemblance? I know it's bending too much and I will be able to address that hopefully soon.
Sadly I can't find good papers with proper experiments on Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffraction and the transition in between.

Did you use a program or an actual physical experiment?

Please be aware that we don't discuss original research, personal theories or fringe science here.

If this is something you just imagined and not based on math or programming then it makes no sense to consider it here.

What could we possibly do to help you?

A program running actual formulas.

The help was merely your opinion on whether my model looked similar, just so I didn't have confirmation bias. But it clearly is against the forum rules, sorry, please remove the post.

Okay, so you are doing something with a custom program and you want us to confirm that it looks correct physically so you can say to yourself or others that the "experts" on PF said it looks real.

This line of reasoning will lead nowhere.

I see this notion from inventors all the time. They want to show off their cool invention but don't want anyone to know how it works.

Read this article about the British inventor of Starlite and how he strangled his own invention by his own secrecy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...al-change-world--ingredients-kept-secret.html

Invention paranoia, while folks do steal invention ideas all the time, its impossible to succeed and to stop others from trying. However, the courts are there to protect the inventor but the law doesn't always work as intended.

jedishrfu said:
we don't discuss original research, personal theories or fringe science here.

And therefore, this thread is closed.

Likes jedishrfu

1. What is Fresnel Diffraction?

Fresnel diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when light waves pass through an opening or around an object, causing the waves to bend and interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of light and dark areas, known as diffraction patterns.

2. How does an opaque barrier affect Fresnel diffraction?

An opaque barrier placed in the path of the light waves can create diffraction patterns by blocking some of the waves and allowing others to pass through. This creates interference and results in a distinct pattern of light and dark areas.

3. What factors influence the diffraction pattern produced by an opaque barrier?

The size and shape of the barrier, as well as the wavelength and intensity of the light passing through it, can all affect the diffraction pattern. Additionally, the distance between the barrier and the light source can also have an impact.

4. Can Fresnel diffraction occur with other types of barriers besides opaque ones?

Yes, Fresnel diffraction can occur with any type of barrier that allows some light to pass through while blocking other parts. This includes transparent or translucent barriers, as well as barriers with small openings or holes.

5. What are some practical applications of Fresnel diffraction?

Fresnel diffraction has many uses in science and technology, including in the design of telescopes and other optical instruments. It is also used in the study of wave behavior and can provide valuable insights into the properties of light and other types of waves.