Fresnel Equations Simulation in 2D: How to Avoid Side Entry in Comsol?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with simulating the fresnel equations in 2D with Comsol. The reflectance and transmission values appear to be correct for small angles, but differ significantly for larger angles. The issue is believed to be caused by electromagnetic waves entering from the sides of the dielectrica. The conversation also mentions a model and a picture showing the issue with TM waves at an angle of 90 degrees. However, the problem was eventually solved by adjusting the propagation constant of the ports, which must correspond to the vertical component of the wave vector and have a positive sign.
MarcelComsol
Hi there,

I'm failing in simulating the fresnel equations in 2D with Comsol.

As you can see in the model added to this post, the reflectance and transmission in the global plots both for TE-waves ("Port, senkrecht polarisiert", Plot "Reflektion und Transimission, senkrecht") and TM-waves ("Port, parallel poralisiert", Plot "Reflektion und Transmission, paralell") seems to be correct for small angles of alpha. But for bigger angles of alpha, the simulated values differ strongly from the analytical solutions. I suspect that the wave from the upper port is also entering from the sides of the dielectrica (side 1 and 6), since we have also an electrical field in the dielectrica for alpha equals 90 degrees(see picture below). How can I avoid the electromagnetic wave entering from the sides 1 and 6 (i chose floquet periodic boundary conditions)?

upload_2019-3-19_8-20-12.png

Picture above: TM waves, alpha=90 degrees, but still a wave is entering my dielectrica(the lower half)

I would be very happy about every help in this problem!
Best wishes

model: https://drive.google.com/open?id=107LINBOhmZtR_uzkJhYKgNb8POFVLMX6

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-19_8-20-12.png
    upload_2019-3-19_8-20-12.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 764
Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to solve the problem in the meantime :-)

Likes berkeman
MarcelComsol said:
I was able to solve the problem in the meantime :-)
Can you tell us how you did it?

Hi DrClaude

The problem was the propagation constant of my ports...

My current understanding of the propagation constant is that it must correspond to the vertical component of the wave vector. It must also have a positive sign, otherwise the wave will propagate upwards.
(Provided that the wave should propagate in the negative y-axis and the coordinate system is defined that the y-axis points upwards)

Likes DrClaude

1. What are Fresnel equations and how are they used in Comsol?

Fresnel equations are a set of equations that describe the reflection and transmission of light at an interface between two media with different refractive indices. In Comsol, these equations are used in the Electromagnetic Waves interface to model the behavior of light at interfaces in various optical systems.

2. How do I input the necessary parameters for the Fresnel equations in Comsol?

In the Electromagnetic Waves interface, there is a built-in Fresnel boundary condition that can be used to specify the refractive indices and angles of incidence for each media. These parameters can also be defined as functions of the frequency or wavelength of the light being modeled.

3. Can Comsol handle multiple interfaces with different refractive indices?

Yes, Comsol is able to model systems with multiple interfaces and different refractive indices. You can specify the properties of each interface using the Fresnel boundary condition or by defining a material with the desired refractive index.

4. How accurate are the results of the Fresnel equations in Comsol?

The results obtained from using the Fresnel equations in Comsol are highly accurate, as long as the inputs for the refractive indices and angles are correct and the mesh is sufficiently fine. However, it is always recommended to validate the results by comparing them to experimental data or other theoretical models.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Fresnel equations in Comsol?

One limitation to keep in mind when using the Fresnel equations in Comsol is that they assume the light is propagating in a vacuum or uniform medium. If there are other factors present, such as scattering or absorption, additional models or equations may be needed to accurately simulate the system. Additionally, the Fresnel equations only consider the behavior of light at normal incidence, so other models may be needed for oblique incidence.

Back