Friction and kinematics problem

In summary, the weight must be moved horizontally at a minimum distance of 10 meters. A force of 10kgf is sufficient to start the weight moving. If the tension on the weight exceeds 20kgf, the weight will break the rope.
stackptr

Homework Statement

What minimum time is required to move a weight of mass 50 kg over a distance of 10 meters along a horizontal floor if the rope used to pull it breaks when the tension exceeds 20kgf, while a force of 10kgf is sufficient to start the weight moving or move it uniformly, overcoming the force of friction?

Homework Equations

$$v = \frac{x}{t} = at = \frac{\Sigma F}{m}t$$

Where ##v## is the velocity of the object, ##x## is the horizontal distance covered, ##t## is the time in motion (what we are trying to solve for), ##a## is acceleration of the object and ##\Sigma F## is the net force on the object.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I rearranged the equation for ##t##, giving me

$$t = \sqrt{\frac{mx}{\Sigma F}}$$

However, I am having trouble figuring out the net force. I know the tension is acting to the right with a force of 10kgf, and I know ##f_s\leq10 kgf##. What would the kinetic friction be though? Using this, I can do ##T-f_k## to find the net force on the object.

Physics news on Phys.org
stackptr said:
Relevant equations

$$v = \frac{x}{t} = at = \frac{\Sigma F}{m}t$$
No. v=at is correct for constant acceleration, but x=vt is only correct for constant velocity, so will not apply here.

stackptr said:
the tension is acting to the right with a force of 10kgf
Horizontally?

haruspex said:
Horizontally?
Yes

haruspex said:
No. v=at is correct for constant acceleration, but x=vt is only correct for constant velocity, so will not apply here.
So what equations would we be able to use here?

stackptr said:
Yes
It doesn't say so.
stackptr said:
So what equations would we be able to use here?
Suppose the force is constant for at least part of the time. What does that say about the acceleration? What equations do you know for that condition?

One thing is not clear... does the weight have to finish at rest at the desired position?

haruspex said:
does the weight have to finish at rest at the desired position?

I guess so, this is the whole problem I copied word for word from a textbook.

Anyway we could use a = F/m to find acceleration, if it is constant

stackptr said:
I guess so, this is the whole problem I copied word for word from a textbook.
It is a lot tougher if it has to finish at rest, so for now I recommend you do not require that. We can address that later if you wish.
stackptr said:
Anyway we could use a = F/m to find acceleration, if it is constant
You are making two assumptions. First, that the force is horizontal; you are not told it is horizontal, and it will turn out that the minimum time is not with a horizontal force.
Second, that the force is constant; since we are not requiring the mass to arrive at rest that is reasonable - you might as well use the maximum acceleration all the way.

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either increase or decrease the speed of an object, depending on the direction of the force and the surface it is moving on.

3. What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two objects is affected by the type of surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How can we reduce friction?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces to create a slippery layer and reduce the contact between them.

5. What is the relationship between friction and kinematics?

Friction can affect the acceleration, velocity, and displacement of an object, which are all components of kinematics. The presence of friction must be taken into account when solving kinematics problems involving motion on surfaces.